• Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Gents,

I've been looking for a lightweight rifle just to pack around. I was leaning toward the Kel-Tec .223 rifles until I got word about them breaking prematurely and customer service being somewhat lacking. Though I fix my own stuff, if I can't get the part, I may as well not bother.

I thought I'd settled on the AR platform, but it's still sort of heavy for what I need.

The M1 Carbine feels great, and with a new recoil pad, would have near the correct LOP.

Plenty of firepower even with 15 round mags.

With ball ammo, terminal ballistics are lacking, but I understand Corbon and a few others have awesome HP ammo.

New manufacture, with the kinks worked out (I'm given to understand anyway) would be right around $600.

I don't need something that would shoot more than 200yds, and even 100yds is a worst-case scenario.

Heck, if it were legal, I'd put a longer barrel and extended mag into a 1911 with a shoulder stock and use it!

I was stupid for getting rid of my Marlin Camp 45 carbine, but it was cherry and really more of a collector's piece. It did serve this role well in the short time I had it, though.

So, what do you folks think? Does your experience with the new manufacture M1 Carbines reflect the positive experiences I've been reading?

Thanks,

Josh

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Get a real full sized rifle.If you ever need to shoot a two legged type of varmint you'll be glad you have the firepower and range.
    That being said , I sure do wish I still had mine...they're fun little rifles.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I don't know anything about a new-made Carbine, but before I spent $600 on one I think I'd buy an original for approximately the same money.
    For one thing original M1 Carbine spare parts are plentiful, while I'm not sure about parts for the new-made versions.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I realize this could send the purist into a spinout, but you should consider an Ultimak rail and something like an Aimpoint H1 on a Carbine.
    It is a very good combo and requires no permanent alteration to the gun which for sure is a good thing.

Last edited:

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    If you can find one for 600 absolutely pick it up.
    You really can't go wrong with either Auto Ord. or Fulton Armory or a GI model in good condition.
    But stay away from the early aftermarket carbines like Iver Johnson and universal. Those parts are NOT interchangeable, and reliability is hit or miss.
    The key point in reliability in any carbine is the magazine. I've had no problems with the 15 rounders but some(aftermarket) 30 rounders are crap.
    Ballistically 30 carbine is similar to 357 mag 200 yards is about it. 50 yards and closer it's dynamite with soft point or the cor-bon and tough to beat.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I've thought about the M-1Carbine off and on. Thought it would make a great little gun to toss in the truck or car on occasion. Or carry on occasion. But the concern that I have with it is whether the ammunition cost might not get a bit prohibitive. Have not looked at .30 Cal. Carbine lately bu tthe last time I thought it kind of pricey. I guess I was comparing it against .223 and 7.62x39.

I have a Mini -14 and an SKS, so one of those, particualrly the Mini kind of fills that "niche" for me right now. But I really do like the look and feel of the M-1 Carbine!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I thought I'd settled on the AR platform, but it's still sort of heavy for what I need.

Random thoughts:

1. Quality AR-15s weigh under 6lbs, just keep it plain and don't hang all the mall ninja/gun gamer stuff on it.

E.g., Red Jacket Firearms

2. Why not a Winchester M94 .30-30? It strikes a much harder blow than the M1 Carbine and is a fraction of the price.

I paid $100 for the last M94 I purchased. Cut the barrel to 16", installed sling posts, a Lyman 66 ghost ring and trigger job for $250 or so. That's a total of less than a third of the M1 Carbine and the ammo is much cheaper. It weighs in at 6lbs unloaded.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Josh,

Along the lines of what Kirk is suggesting, have you thought about a lever action carbine in .357 mag (6 pounds)?

Better ammo choices than .30 Carbine and you can legally use it for deer (although, admittedly, a little more $$ for the rifle on the front end than a .30-30).

Crumby ammo selection keeps me away from .30 Carbine (although the M1 Carbines are a lot of fun).

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    I don't know anything about a new-made Carbine, but before I spent $600 on one I think I'd buy an original for approximately the same money.
    For one thing original M1 Carbine spare parts are plentiful, while I'm not sure about parts for the new-made versions.
    I was following military carbines for a few months recently, and I can tell you that I would have loved to find a -safe to shoot- military M1 carbine for that kind of money, even with an assortment of mfgrs parts. I wound up with a late 60s~early 70s civillian Universal that was more in line with my budget. I do recognize the scarecity of parts for these, but I don't intend to beat this one over the back, so hopefully, with a little maintainence, it'll last as long as I want.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Random thoughts:

1. Quality AR-15s weigh under 6lbs, just keep it plain and don't hang all the mall ninja/gun gamer stuff on it.

E.g., Red Jacket Firearms

2. Why not a Winchester M94 .30-30? It strikes a much harder blow than the M1 Carbine and is a fraction of the price.

I paid $100 for the last M94 I purchased. Cut the barrel to 16", installed sling posts, a Lyman 66 ghost ring and trigger job for $250 or so. That's a total of less than a third of the M1 Carbine and the ammo is much cheaper. It weighs in at 6lbs unloaded.

I've got a Win '94 Trapper in .44 Mag that I really like. It is very handy and certainly maneuverable. The only downside that I see to it is relatively slow loading. But, IIRC, this one holds 10 rounds? Not sure what the capacity would be in 30/30

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Thanks folks.

I'm not a fan of the lever guns. I like detachable mags and my hunting guns are black powder, anyway.

Last I saw I thought there were new M1 Carbines running much cheaper than they seem to be. If I can find a WWII model, I'll get it instead.

However, everything keeps leading me back to the AR. There are a few others I'm considering, but they are either big budget (Israeli stuff) or not as accurate as I'd like. (Communist stuff).

Josh

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    CDNN has the Colt 6520 for $900. A2 carry handle, collapsable stock, 16" lightweight barrel, 1:7 twist, weighs 5.8 lbs.
    Add a good sling, and maybe a front sling side-mount, and you're in business.
    Nice lightweight guns and very basic.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    I know you said you're a little put off by Kel-Tec but I picked up a Sub 2000 for the same reasons you have. A light weight, short range, easy to carry carbine. With a weight of around 4 pounds and folded it easily fits into a large pistol case. I picked up one in 9mm that takes Glock mags so in a large soft sided 2 gun pistol case, (it looks more like a soft sided briefcase) I can put the Sub 2000, a Glock 17 and 6 mags and come in around 8 pounds or so. So far I've put a hundred rounds through it, (both factory & reloads) it without an issue. Just my :twocents:.

Of course the real issue is are you looking for an excuse to pick up an M1 ;). I mean really, who wouldn't want one?

sakima

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    New Albany, IN
    M1 Carbines

Both the aftermarket M1 Carbines I had (Universal and Iver Johnson) had reliability issues. The Universal was only reliable with the factory plastic mag. I never figured out the problem with the Iver Johnson.

I have owned several USGI M1 Carbines various manufactures and all mix-masters. None of them had a reliability issue and all the USGI 15 & 30 round mags fed just fine. If you are thinking about a M1 Carbine, go for a GI one.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I've got a Win '94 Trapper in .44 Mag that I really like. It is very handy and certainly maneuverable. The only downside that I see to it is relatively slow loading. But, IIRC, this one holds 10 rounds? Not sure what the capacity would be in 30/30

I have an unfired Win 94 Trapper in 44 mag and wonder about firing it. The new ones from Winchesters are $$$.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I have an unfired Win 94 Trapper in 44 mag and wonder about firing it. The new ones from Winchesters are $$$.

Unfortunately...can't prove to a buyer that it's unfired...

But if there's no cross-bolt safety, that thing will sell for a MINT.

-J-

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Do you have a target weight you're looking for on the rifle? Or just, "as light as possible." That might help with the suggestions.

As far as the weight of the ammo is concerned (FWIW), according to the Army's ammo data sheets for small arms (TM43-0001-27), here's the weight of a few rounds in grains/round from heaviest to lightest (10 mg = 0.15 grain):

45 Ball (M1911) weighs 331,
    30 Carbine ball (M1) weighs 196,
    5.56 Ball (M193) and 9mm ball are both listed at 182.

Since M193 is as light as 9mm and lighter than 30 Carbine or .45 ACP, and will shoot flatter over distance, I think you're on the right track looking for an ultralight rifle in 5.56/.223.

USAMP1980

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    I had an Auto Ordinance M-1 Carbine in .30 Carbine. Very fun, terribly inaccurate. It's internal, external, and terminal ballistics is not that impressive.
    I'd rather "pack around" a 16" AR w/ collapsible stock in 55g 5.56mm or .223 REM over M-1 Carbine... assuming you are going for practicality and not historic/romantic reasons.

Top Bottom