• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tac45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    SS
    Hey all, new member from the Greenfield area here. Thought I'd say hey, and introduce myself a bit. My name is Josh, 24yo, married with kids. Served in the Army National Guard right out of high school, and now I manufacture parts for Honda.

I was thrilled to say the least when my wife told me she wanted to get a handgun with our tax return so she could learn to shoot. For reasons that include home defense just as much as a hobby. Her dad lives next door to us, but he works 3rd shift with me, so that leaves her home alone with 3 kids all night...

Anyways, we got enough back for us to both get one, and I already have mine ordered, a Taurus PT1911B-1 (blued with rail)...and she was thinking she'd like an SR9c, but after seeing the PT1911 she really liked it. I told her we should check out as many as possible and find one that's a really good fit. She wants a 9mm, but said if mine comes in and she can shoot it and it feels good, that she wants a .45 :D

So anyways, this will be my first 1911 style handgun and I am already drooling over all the customization that can be done to them...I mean wow. My question is, is there a shop in the Indianapolis area that does great refinishing work? I know of Hoosier Gun Coat in the Bloomington area, but that's a bit far for me to go...so can someone suggest a place closer to Indy? I am going to have the frame and compensator done in OD Green.

Thanks for any help! Cool forum here :rockwoot:

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Check out the 1911 show and tell at the top of this forum. Wow. Looks like Barbies for dudes. Nice pistols. Welcome aboard.

Tac45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    SS
    Ya, she said we could get guns...and I think after she sees how much you can personalize the 1911 build, she is going to want one too! I can't wait for mine to come in!

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Welcome aboard Tac. You might want to take her to a range that rents guns. I think POP guns does and I know that Applied Ballistics in Lafayette does. Have her try out several to see what she likes.

I have known women who wanted to carry a 1911, until they actually carried a 1911. Some women are fine with the size, others want something smaller. I know of two people that went that route and both ended up trading down to a .38 or a .380. Not because of the recoil, but they both wanted a handgun that was lighter weight.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Happy to have you along for the ride:patriot:
    Indy Trading post also has over 15 pistols for rent and the rate is quite a bit cheaper than Pop's. Good luck with the 1911, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life member.. GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]

Last edited:

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    First, :welcome: from New Pal! Second, you might see if Highsmith, the gunsmith there in Greenfield on south SR9 can help you out. He does awesome work and if he doesnt refinish, he could recommend someone Im sure. I gotta get my Rock Island GI over there so they can do some mill work. My neighbor is New Pal PD and he takes all his guns (all 35 handguns from XDs to Kimbers to almost every gen3 glock) there.

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    Also I prefer Indy Trading Post to the other place mentioned. They dont push a certain brand, they actually help you decide whats best for you!

Tac45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    SS
    First, :welcome: from New Pal! Second, you might see if Highsmith, the gunsmith there in Greenfield on south SR9 can help you out. He does awesome work and if he doesnt refinish, he could recommend someone Im sure. I gotta get my Rock Island GI over there so they can do some mill work. My neighbor is New Pal PD and he takes all his guns (all 35 handguns from XDs to Kimbers to almost every gen3 glock) there.

That is actually who I am ordering the PT1911 from! I will have to ask him about refinishing, I know they do some other gunsmithing there, so it'll be worth checking out :) I probably know your neighbor, I used to dispatch for the Sheriff's Dept. (which means I also dispatched for NPD) and used to ride out with an NPD guy...tall skinny younger guy (don't wanna mention his name for the sake of his privacy buy his first name starts with "G").

Also I prefer Indy Trading Post to the other place mentioned. They dont push a certain brand, they actually help you decide whats best for you!

I'll have to check that place out, never heard of it or been there before!

Thanks a ton :)

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    Nope not him. Initials are S.F. mid 30s. Anyway, ITP is down on Madison, north of 465. They are a site supporter so you can check em out here. They talked to my wife like she was just one of them though we didnt buy. Also a big thumbs up to Beech Grove Firearms. They a currently in the work for a whole new store with a range. They are also site supporters here. Ive bought a couple times from them.

Top Bottom