• ...and so much more!
  • cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I simply go on about my business carrying however suits me that particular day and not giving a flying **** what anybody thinks about it. It’s really pretty simple.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    This seems a bit out of the norm for me, but back to what was in the first post: you are overthinking this. Situational awareness is important everywhere, looking at the OP's location that is even more important.

Toss me a piece, Shorty. That is funny!

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Like the op I wasn't raised around firearms till I joined the military. When I bought my first gun I would open carry since that's what I was use too in the service. I became self conscious as people would stare at the shiny s&w 4506 hanging on my hip. I have since then adapted a cc approach though I still oc from time to time mostly in the winter.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I suppose peeps would really freak then if I started carrying my Lever Gun every where I go. Can you imagine, them resting up against the wall at Olive Garden, or the gas pumps?

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    The more you carry, the less they stare.
    665d051ad96ae46b9ac64db192bb32c0.jpg

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I tend to notice OC only because the ones I’ve seen are carrying in the cheapest piece of **** nylon rag they could attach to their braided leather belt. I don’t recall ever seeing anyone outside of obvious LE open carrying?

not on the OC I saw the other day... at least I think it was OC. There was a bit of leather that looked like a 1911 size holster poking out from under a fat loaf (rolls are smaller. dude was an easy 500lb) trying to got off a scooter at the theater.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I tend to notice OC only because the ones I’ve seen are carrying in the cheapest piece of **** nylon rag they could attach to their braided leather belt. I don’t recall ever seeing anyone outside of obvious LE open carrying?

Rep given. I see OC a lot. Seems to everywhere around Seymour. Unfortunately the gun is almost always crammed in an Uncle Mike’s or Blackhawk floppy or a fobus paddle. Every once in a while I see a Serpa. The best are the nylon shoulder holsters with T shirts ripped out on the sides, or even no shirt at all. Belts are either thin junk or in the case of paddle holsters not used at all.

I know I will get flamed for these comments, but if you are going to carry a gun at least invest in gear that is going to work.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Rep given. I see OC a lot. Seems to everywhere around Seymour. Unfortunately the gun is almost always crammed in an Uncle Mike’s or Blackhawk floppy or a fobus paddle. Every once in a while I see a Serpa. The best are the nylon shoulder holsters with T shirts ripped out on the sides, or even no shirt at all. Belts are either thin junk or in the case of paddle holsters not used at all.

I know I will get flamed for these comments, but if you are going to carry a gun at least invest in gear that is going to work.

Yep, guy I saw on Sunday had a cheapo OWB holster (no retention), a floppy belt, cut-offs, flip flops and a ripped tshirt. Total mess. Came in the same place I was for a pizza. Leaned on the counter with his gun sticking out for any 5-yr-old girl to come along and grab (gotta watch out for those 5 yr old girls).

HodgeStyle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 11, 2018
    Scott County
    This thread derailed quickly.
    We may have to be more careful with titles or issue glasses. :):

Agreed! I just was seeing what everyones thoughts on the mindset for carrying a firearm. Didn't really gain any usefull knowledge from it, other then forget what people think about it.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Agreed! I just was seeing what everyones thoughts on the mindset for carrying a firearm. Didn't really gain any usefull knowledge from it, other then forget what people think about it.

Well mindset means something different to me then what you outlined in the first post. But to answer your question people walking around heeled with an open gun has never really been the norm. Police and military sure but the rest of us not so much. Nothing wrong with it in my opinion. All I will suggest is that if you carry a gun look and act like somebody who should be carrying a gun.

Jerry-T

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 28, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I agree with "Look and Act". I've come along way with my casual dress over the last decade (thanks, professional work!). Because of the dress and professional demeanor, I often get mistaken for LE when I open carry. I am quick to correct, but I'm glad it makes me approachable to have a conversation - which has happened on multiple occasions.

Specifically, I define "Look and act" as: well-spoken (not loud or using profanity), well dressed. Leather holster with matching belt and shoes (if your shoes don't match your belt...you have other issues). I prefer to use a thumb break retention when I OC. Personal preference.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I agree with "Look and Act". I've come along way with my casual dress over the last decade (thanks, professional work!). Because of the dress and professional demeanor, I often get mistaken for LE when I open carry. I am quick to correct, but I'm glad it makes me approachable to have a conversation - which has happened on multiple occasions.

Specifically, I define "Look and act" as: well-spoken (not loud or using profanity), well dressed. Leather holster with matching belt and shoes (if your shoes don't match your belt...you have other issues). I prefer to use a thumb break retention when I OC. Personal preference.

Oh now you went and did it! One time I made the comment that flip flops were not appropriate footwear. Aling came the “who are youbto decide what is appropriate” crowd. Matching belt and shoes, LOL! Somebody on this board will complain you shouldn’t be judging their decision to tuck their polo shirt into their sweat pants because it doesn’t match their fannypack.

Incidently, I saw that one day in Seymour. Polo, sweatpants, fanny pack. Guy was carrying a HiPoint cross draw in a fobus. I swear I am not making that up. When I saw that my first thought was that is the kind of guy I want with me when “it goes down”.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Leather holster with matching belt and shoes (if your shoes don't match your belt...you have other issues).
    My belt and flip flops always match! I also have fanny packs in multiple colors and fabrics for the fashion police among us! My only faux pas is probably the toe socks I have to wear to make the flip flops comfortable, they are sometimes outlandishly colored.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... One time I made the comment that flip flops were not appropriate footwear. Aling came the “who are youbto decide what is appropriate” crowd. ...

SHFT may help them decide what's appropriate someday.

Top Bottom