• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • davidw221

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    I have found the new MRE's are really good and have many different combinations of good tasting food.

I hate the old MRE's when ever I got one of those, i'd just eat the desert, and skip the meal.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I actually like MREs, compared to C-rats. Old timers thought us young 'uns were crazy when MRE's first came out.

I didn't know there were "new" MREs. I'm going to have to see if I can find some. Last time I ate any was in 1995.

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    I don't think they are too bad, until I get down to just the vegetarian meals. I actually preferred the old ones in which everything was dehydrated, since you could break them down and put two meals in just your pocket.

ralphb72

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Greens Fork, IN
    I would love an old fashioned dehydrated pork patty meal about now, with some of those dry crackers and oily cheese. The dehydrated beef patty with the soup mix poured in the packet for a while with some water was second best.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This reminds me that I have a "case" (don't know the quantity) of the Tortellini MRE in the basement from before Y2K.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I had some C-Rations or some lettered rations, in 1973 that were prepared in 1946. It seems the rations were placed in the hold of the USS Constellation back when her keel was laid and we had to get rid of them. The Captain had Ships Company and the Air Wing eat them vs throwing them overboard. An adventure say the least. The rations were still good, however, the cigarettes were awful. I have never had the newer MREs. MRE's are great for your BOB supplies.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I don't think they are too bad, until I get down to just the vegetarian meals. I actually preferred the old ones in which everything was dehydrated, since you could break them down and put two meals in just your pocket.

I agree with you on that fact. Plus it is fun watching a cherry eat 2-3 in one sitting and drinking alot of water... :D

Hellion_1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Putnam County
    When stationed in Alaska, I used to used the Tabasco sauce in my MRE's as CS gas. Come into the tent and find the Fire-guard sacked out.. Mmmm, wrong answer! Four or five drops of it on a lit yukon (Yuke) stove and it would empty a 10 man tent in about 15 seconds. I don't care how deep you sleep, or how cold it is outside that tent. That will teach 'em not to sleep on fire-guard!:drill:

KPierce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Jeffersonville
    I remember when mre's first came out. We got them on base but couldn't use them until all the c-rats were gone. C-rats weren't all that bad to me.

The mre's though were great. I loved all the old ones. Would eat the pork or beef patties dry. Was kinda like jerky only crispier. Haven't ever had the new ones as they were after my time.

Feign

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Columbus-ish
    These are the ones the fire department has for our technical rescue and haz-mat teams. They are damn good...

A-packs
    I have a handful of those from a buddy that got quite a few when the flood hit Columbus. Just found out the shelf life is three years which is good because I had no idea!

Top Bottom