• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    My current carry piece is a Springfield Armory V-10 Ultra Compact in .45acp.

I've been carrying it for about 6 years. Never fired outside of range time, thank God.

I recently came across what seems like a good deal for a S&W m&p 2.0 in .40 and wondered your thoughts on it.

Price wise, it seems almost too good to be true. Do any of you have any experience or thoughts on this for my next carry piece?

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    Brand new M&P Shield Plus goes for $399. 13 + 1 capacity in the same size as original Shield. Or get the bundle with 4 x 13rnd mags and 1 x 10rnd mag for $449.
    Has night sights, and is cut for optics.
    Modern ammo tech has erased any difference between 9mm and .40, and made it difficult to see the small gap between 9mm and .45ACP.

ETA: Tons of holsters and accessories available for this platform.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I would think you get a compact .40 cheaper right here in the classifieds.
    Someone is running a Gen 5 Glock 23, which is a .40 if you're not familiar.
    And NO it's not me, in fact I do not even know the seller.

I looked at it earlier today.
    Plus you won't be paying sales tax on it either.

I know a lot of people on here poo poo the .40.
    I still own and carry in that caliber.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Both tests are HST bullets.

45acp almost 90 caliber when expanded.

40 S&W almost 74 caliber when expanded.

9mm almost 74 caliber when expanded.

Does the body know the difference between 90 and 74 caliber when hit?

Like @2tonic Said above bullet technology is at its best now days.

Last edited:

Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    The bigger question is, why are you looking to change up your carry gun?

Start there and figure out what you should do.
    More capacity. At best, my extended mag gives me 10+1. Also, I haven't been able to find a decent holster for my .45 that I like.

I guess that I should add that this is my first foray into striker fired... I'm all kinds of old-school with my firearms. I really like having a thumb safety.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    More capacity. At best, my extended mag gives me 10+1. Also, I haven't been able to find a decent holster for my .45 that I like.

I guess that I should add that this is my first foray into striker fired... I'm all kinds of old-school with my firearms. I really like having a thumb safety.
    Don't know about the M&P 2.0 but some striker fired pistols (including the S&W Shield) come with the option of a thumb safety, but it's not a nice big fat safety like on a 1911.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield

I would highly recommend a P365xl or p365x myself , and they are around the same price. Gives you 12, 15 and 17 round capacity options and cut for optics from the start. Plus despite not being a fan of manual safeties on anything but a 1911/2011 the P365 family has the option of a thumb safety as well.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    True gun value shows 6 new sold between 325 & 350 in the last 6 months. They have a lot for sale right now for that price. Used drops to 235 and up. You gotta do what you gotta do. Best of luck with your decision.

ETA: I didn’t put in the 2.0 in my query that may make a dif.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    My current carry piece is a Springfield Armory V-10 Ultra Compact in .45acp.

I've been carrying it for about 6 years. Never fired outside of range time, thank God.

I recently came across what seems like a good deal for a S&W m&p 2.0 in .40 and wondered your thoughts on it.

Price wise, it seems almost too good to be true. Do any of you have any experience or thoughts on this for my next carry piece?
    You can do better on price than that for an M&P 2.0. I like the M&P's, as well as the Sig P365 variants and Sig P320 variants.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I have used S&W M&Ps since 2007. Several first gens and 2 2.0 45’s A full size and a compact (commander size) One I carry quite a bit on a daily basis.

For myself I like the M&P’s almost as much as my Sig 226 but definitely more than the Glock. Glocks aren’t bad but just don’t point as naturally or shoot as good for me as M&Ps

40’s not a bad round and just because the 9mm got better doesn’t mean the 40 or 45 got worse. The biggest issue with 40 is it wears out guns more often than not (especially Glocks)

because A. Folks don’t change the recoil springs like they should

And B Most Manufacturers simply bored a 40 cal hole in their existing 9mm (why Glock had to add a 3rs pin during the 1990 CHP trials and why Glock made the Slides wider on the Gen 5 40 cals vs Gen 2-4)

S&W is one that mad the M&P from the ground up as a 40 so it will fair better with extended use.
    So you shouldn’t have issues just change out recoil springs as recommended.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

Then look at Sigs M17-18 pistols.
    I like a safety myself, or a decocker on a hammer fired.

Top Bottom