• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mormprepr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2013
    Whiteland
    While at work today I found a baby snapping turtle. It's shell is slightly bigger than a quarter. It's probably close to three inches when stretched out all the way. It also appears to have a slightly deformed beak and only one eye. Other than that it seems healthy, it's eaten a couple Mosquitos I've thrown in its temporary housing. I've always wanted to try turtle soup, but I don't think there'd be enough to taste. My oldest loves turtles so i may let him keep it through the winter, it's supposed to be a bad one anyways.

Mormprepr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2013
    Whiteland
    It's not quite big enough yet to be dangerous. I put a cricket it with it and the medium sized cricket was about as big as the turtle! I also don't plan on handling it anymore than I have to since they can carry some bacteria.

BigJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Broadripple
    Thanks for the info. I was a police officer for years, but I didn't deal with DNR stuff, so that's good to know.

Ya and they get really picky about it too. Even if it was not born here, if it is a native species its a no go. I collect and breed snakes, and I can't own an 'eastern' hognose snake, even if I buy it from a breeder in another state, but I can collect/breed all the 'western' hognose's I want.

Mormprepr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2013
    Whiteland
    I've delt with some DNR guys before, I know how they can be. I'd rather them not take my house or put me on the other side of the bars for harboring a native species.

Mormprepr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2013
    Whiteland
    Well I got a fishing/small game license... I fished it out of the parking lot and ya can't get much smaller game than this thing. :):

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    but do you need to keep buying licenses as long as you keep the pet? Or simply need to document when you acquired the pet you had the license?

and I'll second the "keeping all your fingers" comment. LOL

.458socomhunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Tipp Co
    No you do not. One would document the species, size, date, county and your license number. Eastern Snapping Turtles are a game species in Indiana.
    And their bite isn't all that bad. Hold larger one's by the rear of the shell with leather gloves and you won't have a problem.

z0mb13_m0nk3y

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Indy
    I found a nearly dead snapper in my shop 2 years ago. I brought it back to good health and then kept it through the winter to make sure it was ok. Check online for info but they require slightly different maintenance than other aquatic turtles. There's also plenty of youtube videos that show some simple and some not-so simple snapper tanks. I released mine the following summer extremely healthy and very efficient at catching minnows :)

Top Bottom