• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shooter1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    Tennyson "Warrick CO"
    Will Walther Ft smith be making them soon? Has the bugs been worked out of the new style that S&W dicked up at first? They make them in blue still right under the S&W mark? its very hard finding a interarms blued.

Last edited:

palerider0485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    just north of muncie.
    ive heard of alot of people favoring the interarms over the smiths, maybe its just me but ive shot a few interarms there were jammers but havent seen function issues out of the smiths. not really answering your question about if the ppk, but had to say something about your comment about S&W.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    My S&W PPK/S had a lot of issues when I got it and it did not run well until after about 500 rounds were through it. There were a lot of little things that needed to be done to get it to run well, such as breaking the sharp corner where the ramp and chamber meet. If I were dependent on commercial ammo, I'd never have gotten through the 500 rounds it took to break it in. I think I'd would have written it off well before then.

JBI812

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    East side Indianapol
    Interesting thread. Several years back, I bought my wife her first handgun. A Walther PPK/s. Just plain out cool. However, it was a pain in the butt cause she didn't have enough strength to work the slide and it jammed at least once with every magazine load. We put it back in the safe and it's been there every since. I sent it back to Smith Wesson due to safety recall with the hammer and they also polished the feed ramp to help the feed issue. Well. it came back after about 8 weeks and was still jammed.

I recently took it to a friend who is a gunsmith. I was shocked when he showed me what he found. It looks like the slide had never been fitted to the bottom frame. There were drag marks all over the place. I cleaned the thing several times and always over looked the evidence. The chamber bridge actually had a groove worn in it from the rubbing inside of the slide. The blowback spring was dragging inside the slide. And, the spring was something north of 20 pounds. It had so much drag it couldn't cycle. He polished out the parts that were dragging and put a reduced power recoil (blowback) spring, tuned the trigger & spring and the results is unbelievable. It cycles every time, flawless, and is much easier to load and un-load. My wife can rack the slide and shoots it now with ease and loves the gun. It was shipped new from the factory in a mechanical mess.

I'm really disappointed in Smith Wesson/ Walther USA .... I thought they would do a better job than what they did. It's not a cheap handgun.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Interesting thread. Several years back, I bought my wife her first handgun. A Walther PPK/s. Just plain out cool. However, it was a pain in the butt cause she didn't have enough strength to work the slide and it jammed at least once with every magazine load. We put it back in the safe and it's been there every since. I sent it back to Smith Wesson due to safety recall with the hammer and they also polished the feed ramp to help the feed issue. Well. it came back after about 8 weeks and was still jammed.

I recently took it to a friend who is a gunsmith. I was shocked when he showed me what he found. It looks like the slide had never been fitted to the bottom frame. There were drag marks all over the place. I cleaned the thing several times and always over looked the evidence. The chamber bridge actually had a groove worn in it from the rubbing inside of the slide. The blowback spring was dragging inside the slide. And, the spring was something north of 20 pounds. It had so much drag it couldn't cycle. He polished out the parts that were dragging and put a reduced power recoil (blowback) spring, tuned the trigger & spring and the results is unbelievable. It cycles every time, flawless, and is much easier to load and un-load. My wife can rack the slide and shoots it now with ease and loves the gun. It was shipped new from the factory in a mechanical mess.

I'm really disappointed in Smith Wesson/ Walther USA .... I thought they would do a better job than what they did. It's not a cheap handgun.

That pretty much sums up what I went through to get mine to run. Add to that a bit of work with a file to break the sharp edges all over the gun. It's become a nice shooter now, but sure was a disappointment when new. I could not believe I spend twice what I spent on a Bersa only to get half the quality. I really wish Bersa would produce a Thunder 380 in stainless.

palerider0485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    just north of muncie.
    That pretty much sums up what I went through to get mine to run. Add to that a bit of work with a file to break the sharp edges all over the gun. It's become a nice shooter now, but sure was a disappointment when new. I could not believe I spend twice what I spent on a Bersa only to get half the quality. I really wish Bersa would produce a Thunder 380 in stainless.
    im with you all the way. i think the walthers are probully made from better materials but the bersa functions so much better. im not a big walther fan. there are smaller 380's thats are alot better. sig 238 just to name one.

chipsher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    Logansport
    Same here, it took three trys polishing the transition from frame to chamber. It's now 100% reliable with FMJ, not so good with hollow points. I use it in local BUG gun competitions.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Will Walther Ft smith be making them soon?

No, S&W will continue to manufacture the PPK and PPK/S for Walther Arms, just as Umarex/Carl Walther will continue to make the M&P22 for S&W.

Has the bugs been worked out of the new style that S&W dicked up at first?

What "bugs" are you referring to? I have shot many Walther PP series pistols (PP, PPK, PPK/S in .32 and .380) both new and old (original German, Manhurin, Interarms, S&W), and haven't found ANY of them to be what I'd call reliable.

They make them in blue still right under the S&W mark?

In theory yes (it is listed as p/n 2246002), but we have not had one come through the shop in quite some time.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    im with you all the way. i think the walthers are probully made from better materials but the bersa functions so much better. im not a big walther fan. there are smaller 380's thats are alot better. sig 238 just to name one.

That sounds about right in regards to the materials. Also, I completely agree on the 238. I carry a Sig P238 almost daily as a BUG. Fun gun to shoot. It's what the PPK should have been, but wasn't.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    What "bugs" are you referring to? I have shot many Walther PP series pistols (PP, PPK, PPK/S in .32 and .380) both new and old (original German, Manhurin, Interarms, S&W), and haven't found ANY of them to be what I'd call reliable.

I'm confused. So none are reliable. I will stick with my P238 as well.

JBI812

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    East side Indianapol
    We sort of moved away from Walther PPK's that I bought for my wife. To other handguns just as nice. I bought a .380 SIG P232 (from the folks in Camby) for my own carry gun. It's similar in size to the PPK and works flawlessly. Frankly, I rather have the P232 as opposed to any of the other that have been mentioned. That's just my choice though.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I had two a Stainless and a black one back in the day (BG) before Glock, carried the stainless forever. Glock man now. Sold both and a .22LR (Walther/Interarms) years ago.

Top Bottom