• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 84VETTE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Salem
    Yesterday I picked up this S&W model 36, I plan on doing some work to it while I'm off for Christmas break.
    SANY0467.jpg

SANY0466.jpg

You can see the barrel is pitted pretty bad but the frame seems to be in good shape. It locks up just fine and fires with the exception of one of the chambers in the cylinder is dented just enough to prevent the insertion of a round so it currently is a 4 shot revolver. As of now my plan is to polish the frame and barrel as best I can to remove the pitting, then I will most likely duracoat it black mainly because I think it will do a better job of hiding what pitting I can't remove better than re nickeling or blueing will do. I'm going to have to replace the cylinder and I am thinking about going with a SS cylinder from a model 60, as far as I know the model 60 is just a SS model 36 so I think it should work. I think a stainless cylinder on a black duracoat frame will look reasonably attractive especially with a polished hammer and trigger. I will update later with more pictures of the work in progress. Id appreciate any input or advice that you guys have to offer.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Project gun

Should be a fun project. My main concern would be the fit of the side plate. It looks like it was "warped" into place with the oversize front screw? This may take some time to hand fit. Hope that you do not have much in it? Have fun, and let us know how it comes out..Bill.:popcorn:

84VETTE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Salem
    Nah i rolled my change this weekend and had enough to get it, I'm hopin to atleast make a reliable truck gun for as little as possible, plus it will be a good learning experience.

FERLACH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Plainfield
    I would think you might spend more on repair, than just going out and buying a good used truck gun. But, good luck with your project.

84VETTE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Salem
    I bought it primarily for the challenge of making it pretty again. I like J frames, I used to have a model 60 that I really miss. If something goes wrong with the project I'm not out a whole lot and Iv got plenty of others to take its place as a truck gun.

Frazier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2010
    Very cool project! Who cares what it costs, it's your project, and so, enjoy it!!!! Looking forward to seeing hoe it come along and finishes out. Good luck, and have a good time.......

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Sounds like fun, I was looking at a S&W 36 for $100 that needed some work like that (cylinder was fine) and I was going to pick it up as a project gun, but I am probably getting a P11 in the next few weeks so I decided to pass it up.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    ive seen old beat up guns in antique shops every now and again. not sure if i would trust any to fire but it would be a project to clean it up and try to make it look good. a wall hanger would be something to be proud of if it turned out.

but as far as good functioning wouldn't know where to look.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom