• eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    So, my wife got me one of these:
    IMG_0686.jpg

What do I do with it? I am sure it is much more than a "walkie-talkie", and can even do more than my FRS or GMRS radios. Do I need a license? What other radio types can it communicate with?

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Primarily, it is a handheld Ham band radio. I have several of them and you need at least a technician class license to transmit on it. You can listen all you want license free. There are ham groups that do testing for the license all over the state. You will need to study for the test but it's not too tough. A couple two hour sessions should get you up to speed enough to pass IMO. There are study guide apps available free to reasonable.
    I'm just getting started with this as well but not having a lot of luck with the stock antennas while down in my basement. Have not decided what I want to do about that situation yet.

Matt

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Be very careful with the frequencies you use. This radio is capable of transmitting on HAM frequencies (one type of license), GMRS frequencies (a different type of license), FRS frequencies (no license), and on public service, ie fire, police, frequencies (illegal). It is also capable of transmitting on a higher power on GMRS/FRS frequencies than is strictly allowed.
    Also, because it can receive fire/police frequencies it falls under the laws for scanners which says you may not have a portable scanner outside your home without a license.
    So step one is to find your local Ham radio club and visit them.
    Step two will be to get your Ham license (technician class).
    Step three, program that puppy and get on the air.
    How far you can use it like a walkie-talkie depends on a great many variables. Using a J-pole antenna on the hunting blind, and a 1/2 wave magnetic mount antenna on the truck, my wife and I can talk on the FRS frequencies at 3-4 miles over varied terrain and through the woods.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Its a dual band VHF/UHF 1 or 4 watt radio. VHF- 136-174mhz and UHF 430-480mhz.

Most police are using 800mhz now. You can find some fire in the VHF. Search on the fcc site for frequecies in your area. You can also set a channel to a weather band in your area.

If you use the factory software to program it, make sure you set the transmit field to a FRS frequency/NOT what you are listening to in case you key it.

I'm not a HAM guy, we just picked up a couple to use as 'better' walkie-talkies in the woods, etc.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Dowload the latest version of Chirp here. Index of /chirp_daily/LATEST

Use radio reference to find frequencies. Indiana Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Find out what repeater your local weather spotters use and listen in.

A rollup j-pole works fine from my basement to attic, with 100 ft of LMR 400 coax, I have talked 22 miles with 2w of power. using that. Both antennas were line of sight though. Now I have a scanner antenna in the attic and a diamond X-50 on the roof supported by a soil stack. That diamond antenna works great.

I will be teaching some more classes in the late summer fall.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Like $3 shipped from Amazon. Or $7 (different vendor) if I want it Prime Same Day. I am cheap/thrifty, so can manually enter frequencies for now. On my wish list, to be added to the next order.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Just a fyi on Radio Reference... I have found some of the local VHF's to be out of date. Emailed the webmaster his reply was 'the users submit the frequency data so it could be out of date'. Check the fcc site to be sure. The search engine works pretty well.

License Search

This will get you started but you may need to drill into it a little. This is just what I had bookmarked.

Also, the factory software will flip out/flash on W10 if it doesn't sense the cable.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Study a few weeks more and just get your general at the same time if you think you will do more with radios. So much overlap in the tests.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Cables with prolific chips will drive you crazy you will have to roll back your drivers for them to work. Miklor web site can help with instructions. ftdi chipsets are plug and play.

Top Bottom