• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    The latest video game that will be conditioning Americans toward Fascism is called Rainbow 6: Patriots.

In the game, the military openly operates on the streets of New York (yay martial law), and are chasing after a militia group that calls themselves the "True Patriots." The creative director of the game suggested that the terrorists are returning veterans who feel disenfranchised and neglected, and are fighting for civil liberties and the constitution.

Players will have to make "tough ethical decisions" as they play soldiers who hunt down their fellow citizens.

large_triots.jpg

Homegrown Terrorists Fight To Take Back America In Rainbow 6: Patriots
    In the latest entry in the venerable series, Team Rainbow faces off against the True Patriots, a well-organized and well-funded revolutionary group aiming to overthrow a U.S. government they feel has been rendered useless by corruption. Players will have to make “tough ethical decisions” as the story progresses, signaling a brand new direction for the franchise. Perhaps that’s why they’ve stopped using Rainbow Six in favour of the sleeker, sexier Rainbow 6.
    Rainbow Six Set to Invade New York With Home-Grown Terrorism
    In this still-to-be-titled Rainbow Six, players will be tasked with stopping a homegrown terrorist group operating in America. The group, fed up with the greed of Wall Street and the government that acts to protect them, decides to target New York City.
    More info on the game:

From Game Informer Magazine, December 2011 edition.
    "Ubisoft (developer) Explores the Volatile Political Climate with a Ground Breaking and Controversial Look at Homegrown Terror"
    Creative Director David Sears: "We knew we had to have a story this time that's very plausible,very relevant, and that touches on the current fears of US Citizens."

Sears- "Our enemies (in the game) are inspired by these paramilitary groups, political radicals who we see all over YouTube, and former military men and women who have valiantly served their country but then return home and feel disenfranchised and forgotten," he says. "They don't return as heroes, and they feel like they have been neglected. These are the groups of people who would join our terrorist group."
    icon4.gif

"If properly coordinated, the emerging rage-fueled para-military groups angered over the direction of the country could cause irreparable damage to our political and financial foundations."

When describing the leader of this movement -- known as the True Patriots -- he is described as wanting to become a martyr, and that through his actions be recognized in history "...as a founding father of a new country in which people have embraced the civil liberties that are granted in the Constitution."
    icon4.gif

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Aaaand what do you think the actual outcome will be if people play this game? Will it have any real effect on society other than the fact that geeks play it to shoot cool guns and blow stuff up?

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    The creative director of the game suggested that the terrorists are returning veterans who feel disenfranchised and neglected, and are fighting for civil liberties and the constitution.
    So you don't read history much huh? What is wrong with a video game having some basis in historical fact? What do you expect highly trained, unemployed killers AKA Combat Veterans to do when they are pissed on by an isolationist society they protected and served? Gangsters of the 20's and 30's. Motorcycle gangs of the 40's and 50's. Organized crime.

Of course since many factions of todays society abuse the term "Terrorist" in a daily attempt to ply or scare people into accepting their beliefs, like you do, they will be called Terrorists instead of gangsters or criminals.

Are you affraid they will be calling you a terrorist? I really doubt most of the Paul followers will do any real fighting, except for the Nazis, KKK and a few others who actually are oganized. I doubt they will be fighting for the Constitution, just robbing banks.

Meanwhile Grapes of Wrath will be playing itself out as well. Along with many other scenarios all known to the history of man.

Maybe you should set the standard and then hold yourself to it by not sensationalizing "terrorism" in your words. Often words lead to deeds :rolleyes:. I can see why you may fear the FBI, in your mind you fit their profile in the video game you fear the most.

If you think you see paralells in the game, then read more articles like this and see how you may be perceived by your enemy and then stock up on more ammo. You are gonna need it. Owning more than one gun would show you are serious too.
    Don't Believe The Ron Paul Hype - CBS News

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    As a Tom Clancy backed game I am very interested to see where the story goes on this on.

As with most "Moral Choice" games there will probrobly be points throughout the story where you have to choose your path. And it most likely wont be cut and dried. Siding with the government would end with you supporting totalarion crazy train that .gov has become but you still act with the mandate of the people under the orders of elected officials. But siding with the "rebels" would end with you supporting the better messge but forced to use questionable means (think IRA).

It sounds like the games whole pourpose is to leave the player uncomfortable and full of thoughts and questions. It could have a very positive effect of sparking a very important conversation withing the nations youth.

Plus Rainbow Six games have always been fun

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    As a Tom Clancy backed game I am very interested to see where the story goes on this on.

As with most "Moral Choice" games there will probrobly be points throughout the story where you have to choose your path. And it most likely wont be cut and dried. Siding with the government would end with you supporting totalarion crazy train that .gov has become but you still act with the mandate of the people under the orders of elected officials. But siding with the "rebels" would end with you supporting the better messge but forced to use questionable means (think IRA).

It sounds like the games whole pourpose is to leave the player uncomfortable and full of thoughts and questions. It could have a very positive effect of sparking a very important conversation withing the nations youth.

Plus Rainbow Six games have always been fun
    I get what you're saying but do you think that by playing any of these type of games they actually have a deeper effect on the nations youths and cause them to reflect on the actual meaning of the two scenarios?

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    Can one choose to play as the returning, disgruntled veteran fighting for liberty and the Constitution? After all, we need some practice too*.

*Disclaimer: This statement made for entertainment purposes only.

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    I get what you're saying but do you think that by playing any of these type of games they actually have a deeper effect on the nations youths and cause them to reflect on the actual meaning of the two scenarios?

It may. It may not. As with any art form (which I belive video games are an artform) it does nothing but provide the opportunity.

Some people will be moved, some wont care, some will be entertained, maybe one or two will be inspired, and more than a few will be offended.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    typically the rainbow 6 games involve a lot more than just the advertised storyline. I would not be surprised for the character to find out they are fighting good guys and be at odds with following the orders

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Aren't there gang members that are joining the military for training that need to be put down, I swear I read something about gang members joining the military and getting military training to do crime later.

Effingham

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Franklin
    I'm still waiting for the youth to have those debates about stealing cars and beating hookers with baseball bats.

Seriously, I don't expect the kids or anyone playing this to actually talk about it beyond "cool! head shots!"

That said -- while I recognize there is an element of reality to the plot, I find it somewhat annoying and offensive. Then again, I'm sure the Russian embassy is pissed off about Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3.

It's a game, and they're having trouble coming up with new directions to take an old game archetype. I get that. But... sigh.

Top Bottom