• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    I went to McGalliard Guns and More today. One of the employees told me they were opening a "range" behind the store and pointed out a shipping container. Not sure how well this would work as a range, but, apparently, they're going to do it. It's 30' long. So, it'll be handguns only. She said they hope to have it ready by the end of October. Any thoughts on the feasibility of shooting in a shipping container?

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I wouldn't feel comfortable being the resident right behind their store. I'm sure they will make it safe, but I think there would be better options. Kudos to them for wanted to create another option for shooters though.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    done right it could be ok. it would absolutely NEED ventilation. Add some sound dampening boards all around and a decent bullet trap at the end would make it not worse than most other indoor ranges.
    The part that would make me nervous is whether the skin on most shipping crates is thick enough to contain rounds fired in directions other than down range. I've been to enough indoor ranges to see the bullet holes from rounds fire up and sideways... maybe some cinder blocks outside and layered 2xs on top would make it adequate...

-rvb

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I'm honestly not concerned about side or roof penetration. It's just being enclosed with that kind of a decibel spike that gets me. And the fact that I already think Burkie's about half nuts. I work with tons of high and low end noise everyday. We all wear hearing protection. You just can't work in the environment without it. Still we all take some hearing loss from long term exposure. To be exposed to the shock wave coming from, say, a .45, repeatedly, in an enclosed container, I dunno. That'd have to be some pretty good baffling.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Plenty of big, empty buildings in Muncie..... maybe they will eventually move into one and have a larger 'proper' range.

Sonney

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    McDonald's Guns in Clinton In. has one it is real nice short but nice. Climate controlled with Air Cond. and also Heat. I think it is around 30 feet or so. It is not that loud but you are wearing muffs. The only thing they ask not to shoot hollow points. But it is real nice. Also Top Guns will have a range opening in Jan. I think they said it is 50 yards they will also have their store and I think a vending area. It will be nice this winter. You will be able to shoot almost anything there. Top Guns is in Terre Haute

Sonney

caltem

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2013
    I'm not sure if this is a joke or not, but I thought that there was a lot of criteria that must be met by the feds... EPA and others in order to have any type of indoor range. Isn't this true?

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    Didn't they have some shady deal set up with Dunham's involving their 22 ammo a couple years ago?
    I was told the person in firearms was letting them know when it got there so they could go buy it all and mark it up. I actually caught one of the salesmen doing this at Northside walmart. He just laughed to my buddy and I when he walked buy holding the 22 up and said to late. It's all gone. We didn't think it was funny although I'm sure it was meant to be. (This is not stated as a fact. Just what was passed to me and my opinion)

Top Bottom