• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WabashMX5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Been ages since I've posted here, but I needed advice. I just reloaded my first 50 rounds (9mm, Unique powder under 115-gr. Berry's plated RN). Using Lee dies on a Lee Classic Turret.

On the bright side, the Unique metered very consistently, despite the horror stories I'd read.

But despite having set up the dies exactly as instructed, I'm getting a few thousandths of variability in my OAL. I was aiming for 1.165", but a few came up as short as 1.160", and a couple were up as long as 1.168".

How big a problem is this likely to be? I'm nowhere near the 1.120" minimum OAL, so I can't imagine I'd have dangerous pressures. Still, I don't know why, even when carefully throwing the level the same way each time, I'm getting this inconsistency.

Any thoughts?

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Been ages since I've posted here, but I needed advice. I just reloaded my first 50 rounds (9mm, Unique powder under 115-gr. Berry's plated RN). Using Lee dies on a Lee Classic Turret.

On the bright side, the Unique metered very consistently, despite the horror stories I'd read.

But despite having set up the dies exactly as instructed, I'm getting a few thousandths of variability in my OAL. I was aiming for 1.165", but a few came up as short as 1.160", and a couple were up as long as 1.168".

How big a problem is this likely to be? I'm nowhere near the 1.120" minimum OAL, so I can't imagine I'd have dangerous pressures. Still, I don't know why, even when carefully throwing the level the same way each time, I'm getting this inconsistency.

Any thoughts?

Did you mic your bullets? They can vary a bit sometimes.
    Your press was not taken all the way down or your dies were off. I'm inclined to the first.

Pressure issues shouldn't arrive, but feeding issues may if it's finicky.

Last edited:

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    8 thousandths of an inch in total variation is not going to hurt anything. especially a pistol cartridge. im not a master reloader by any means. take my advice with as many grains of salt as you wish. load em up n shoot em.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    8 thousandths of an inch in total variation is not going to hurt anything. especially a pistol cartridge. im not a master reloader by any means. take my advice with as many grains of salt as you wish. load em up n shoot em.

Or don't take his advice at all.

I would first ask are you using once fired factory loads or new brass? Also, would check to make sure that your seating die is not moving.

I would measure the brass first and foremost.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    That is totally normal and nothing to worry about.

The ogive of your bullets vary, that creates COAL differences.

Trimming pistol brass is a waste of time, and in any event, has nothing to do with COAL because the seating die measures from the ogive.

drive on and enjoy your new handloads.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Trimming pistol brass is a waste of time, and in any event, has nothing to do with COAL because the seating die measures from the ogive.

Exactly right ! Everything to do with the bullet, not case length.

WabashMX5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2009
    Brownsburg

This is basically what I'd read, so I hadn't bothered trimming the cases. (I also hadn't thought about micing the bullets.) It's part of the reason I wanted to reload pistol before I start using my .223 dies -- fewer things for a rookie to worry about.

Thanks for all the input. Since my average and mean OALs are on target, I'll quit obsessing over tiny adjustments of my seating die and just shoot the suckers! :ingo:

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove

I'm going with this. Used to drive me nuts. Was buying Star seconds. Guess what was wrong with them? You got it. Inconsistent nose profile.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I'm going with this. Used to drive me nuts. Was buying Star seconds. Guess what was wrong with them? You got it. Inconsistent nose profile.

It happens even with the fanciest of match rifle bullets.

It's not a concern. Noticing it is a sign that we have good measuring instruments to even find it. I doubt most of you would have noticed a five thousandths difference in the length of factory ammo.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    An earlier post asked if you had mic'ed your bullets. If they are smaller than the opening on the case they may be "falling" in past your intended length. They might be resting on the powder. I've had .45acp bullets that were smaller than the case mouth do
    this....cured it by reducing case flaring. There should be some resistance to pushing the
    bullet in, as long as you're not shaving the side of the bullet.
    This may not be a problem now but if you change powders to a smaller volume charge the bullets could fall in too deep [ assuming I'm right about the problem].
    If this is totally off base then I wouldn't worry about a few thousandths. You might stick this post in the back of your brain for future reference....just in case this does come up.

WabashMX5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2009
    Brownsburg
    An earlier post asked if you had mic'ed your bullets. If they are smaller than the opening on the case they may be "falling" in past your intended length. They might be resting on the powder.

I wouldn't have thought of that, so I appreciate the tip. I'll definitely keep it in mind. And come to think of it, a couple of bullets did sit differently on the expanded case mouth than the others -- so it's a very plausible idea.

NullSyndrome

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    I'm agreeing that trimming the brass has nothing to do wth OAL.

The OP noted that he is using Berry's Plated, which I have used quite a bit in 9mm. They are soft, and the plated bullets aren't always as uniform as a true FMJ is. You get a slightyly wider variation in seating depth due to small irregulatities of the ogive, just like you sometimes get slightly wider variations using lead bullets instead of FMJ.

The OP also noted that he was using a Lee Turret Press. I use the same press, and there is a tiny bit of play in the turret when when sizing, seating, and crimping. It's part of the nature of a turret press, since you are pushing up against a moving, removable part. This could also account for some slight variation.

I don't push things to one extreme or the other as far as seating depth goes, and have never had an issue with accuracy or otherwise.

One other thing to check: Are you separating you brass by headstamp?
    While trimming brass won't affect OAL since the bullet seats on the ogive, some brands of brass might actually have slightly thicker or thinner bases. I have noted more consistant OAL when sorting by headstamp.

:twocents:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    It's not uncommon. It has to do with the ogive of the bullet, which is what the die actually contacts. With the pistol bullets I use, it's not uncommon to see a .005" difference in OAL. As long as you are not overcharging and the case OAL is within spec, it's nothing to worry about.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom