New Reloader Here; I got a squib with a load from the manual?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    I've never found that HP38/W231 was position sensitive.
    4.0gr of W231 with a 158gr cast SWC has been my standard .38 Special load for 20+ years. Have also used it in the .45 Colt with no issues.

Have to say this sounds like a honest to goodness squib. That is no powder, primer only.
    A primer by itself is enough to stick a bullet just past the forcing cone.

Is it possible that you charged the case, dumped it on the scale to weigh the charge, then seated a bullet on the empty case?
    Sounds like a silly thing to do, but VERY easy to have happen. Especially while you're verifying the charge, checking a lot of cases and dumping the powder back in the hopper.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    You could try increasing your charge to at least the upper end of mid-range to take up more space and get more reliable ignition.
    It's not a hard and fast rule, but most cartridges get their best accuracy with powder charges that more nearly fill the case anyway.
    It's also possible that your measure dropped a charge below the recommended starting load or didn't drop at all.
    Just adding to the other comments regarding crimp, it's worth mentioning that proper case mouth tension is much more conducive to reliable ignition than crimp, although crimp, properly applied, is still important.
    To ensure the most tension, make sure that you bell the case mouth just enough to ensure that your chosen bullet seats without shaving and no more than that.
    Crimp is also best applied in a separate step from seating, and t's also worth mention that improperly applied crimp can actually decrease bullet pull.
    For that reason, I'm with the so many other reloaders who swear by the outstanding Lee Factory Crimp die for all handgun loading duty.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Yeah, I have the factory crimp die, and I did use it yesterday. Perhaps it's not set low enough.

To address some of the other theories. I supposed I could have accidentally poured the powder out to verify it and then forgot to put powder back in it, although I'm pretty sure that I didn't. Wouldn't be the first time I was absent-minded if thats the case. It's also possible that the auto-drum short-changed me on that one case; with these tall cases being mostly empty space, it's difficult to tell visually whether or not the amount of powder is right, I can just tell if its "close."

I do have an inertia bullet puller, but I have pulled exactly 3 bullets with it; so I don't know yet which ones feel like they're really stuck in there, and which ones are light, etc. Will need to pull more before I can gauge that.

And I did tumble my cases, but it was a dry tumble, and that was 2 weeks ago or so. So I don't think that would've been it, but good thought.

And all of the crimp advice is good. I think I will probably wait until the auto-drum riser arrives before I try this again though; it's kind of a pain trying to get everything on there and setup right now, because the powder measure keeps bumping into everything else when I have to turn things to adjust them. The riser will lift it up away from everything and make that easier.

Thanks again for all opinions. Lots of good information here. And I like that idea about making my own dippers.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    All the good advice has been given already. The Lee powder systems have served me well for countless rounds, just be mindful of every step. In the end, you have to watch each and every operation, every time, always.

With the auto drum they tell you that it takes a hopper or two to get the drum "lubed" from the powder. Is it possible that the drum is not returning completely on the reset? Or even that the die is not completely engaged and the whole cavity is not being dispensed?

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I've never found that HP38/W231 was position sensitive.
    4.0gr of W231 with a 158gr cast SWC has been my standard .38 Special load for 20+ years. Have also used it in the .45 Colt with no issues.

Have to say this sounds like a honest to goodness squib. That is no powder, primer only.
    A primer by itself is enough to stick a bullet just past the forcing cone.

Is it possible that you charged the case, dumped it on the scale to weigh the charge, then seated a bullet on the empty case?
    Sounds like a silly thing to do, but VERY easy to have happen. Especially while you're verifying the charge, checking a lot of cases and dumping the powder back in the hopper.

I believe I am with you on this one. It can definitely happen to anyone. I recently had the exact same thing happen to me while loading .45 ACP and the squib stopped my next round from chambering.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    The only other suggestion would be an LED or desk lamp positioned over your press such that you can observe powder level in your case immediately before the seating stroke.
    You mentioned that you're using a turret, so I'm assuming that you're not using a case loading block between charging and seating.

prescut

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    United States
    Well, I must commend you for your shooting and testing procedure.

You shoot one round, hear the bang, feel the recoil, and see the hole. You did that three times.

Then you didn't hear the bang, feel the recoil, or see the hole. YOU STOPPED !

I can't tell you how many shooters would not listen, feel, or see anything. They would just pull that trigger on the next round. Squibs can kill and you did it right.

prescut

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    United States
    Hey Jstory,

This OP says he is a newbie. Would you still recommend Titegroup?

I love Titegroup, but I think the spikey nature at the top end is for more experienced reloaders. You definitely need to know how to read cases and cylinders for overpressure signs. It also uses very little volume and is ripe for double loads.

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    Hey Jstory,

I love Titegroup, but I think the spikey nature at the top end is for more experienced reloaders. You definitely need to know how to read cases and cylinders for overpressure signs. It also uses very little volume and is ripe for double loads.

I started with Titegroup. I do understand it has a tight hi/low range. But the way he explained himself, he seemed to double check and then recheck his powder charge. He honestly sounds like a guy that wants to do this safely. I know another guy that started reloading and just started with the higher end of the charge and said close enough. This guy also used Titegroup. He still has all his fingers, but also discharged a round while he he was sitting at his dinner table with his wife and kids. Again, the op seems to be a pretty safe guy, so yes, I would still recommend Titegroup.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Hey Jstory,

Titegroup also burns hot and will flame cut revolvers faster than more mild powders. I find it an easy powder to make very accurate loads with, but depending on what you're running them through, you may want to use TG a bit sparingly.

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    Titegroup also burns hot and will flame cut revolvers faster than more mild powders. I find it an easy powder to make very accurate loads with, but depending on what you're running them through, you may want to use TG a bit sparingly.

I never thought about that at all. I am currently using Titegroup in my 38 special. A big thank you for bringing that up. I have about 800 rounds loaded up and will keep a close eye on my 38. Thanks for the heads up.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    image_zpsiu93ozci.jpeg
    [/URL][/IMG]

sorry for the large picture but this is what happened to a friend of mine who was new to reloading. His scale was set on Carots instead of grains. He was using AA7 powder. It has about the same volume as TG powder.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    sorry for the large picture but this is what happened to a friend of mine who was new to reloading. His scale was set on Carots instead of grains. He was using AA7 powder. It has about the same volume as TG powder.

Holy crap. With some quick back of the napkin math, he would've had about 4 times as much powder as he intended. No wonder it blew up...

Thank you for the commendation for my shooting/testing procedure. I'm paranoid about blowing up my gun or myself, so I imagine I'll be doing 1-shot-strings for awhile while I get used to reloading. That was another reason why all of my early testing was going to be in this revolver; super easy to check the bore. Plus if I blow it up, I think I bought it for $300...

From the sounds of TiteGroup, I will probably pass on it for now. Maybe once I've got a little more experience. I really want to get these simple loads down pat before I move on to anything else, because all of my other caliber guns are more expensive! lol

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Holy crap. With some quick back of the napkin math, he would've had about 4 times as much powder as he intended. No wonder it blew up...

Thank you for the commendation for my shooting/testing procedure. I'm paranoid about blowing up my gun or myself, so I imagine I'll be doing 1-shot-strings for awhile while I get used to reloading. That was another reason why all of my early testing was going to be in this revolver; super easy to check the bore. Plus if I blow it up, I think I bought it for $300...

From the sounds of TiteGroup, I will probably pass on it for now. Maybe once I've got a little more experience. I really want to get these simple loads down pat before I move on to anything else, because all of my other caliber guns are more expensive! lol

Just be observant and attentive during the process. No need to ever be paranoid (not saying you are) because worrying will cause more harm than good.

There are lots of great people on INGO that will be more than happy to sit in on a reloading session with you if you put out a feeler asking. I would be more than happy to help if you were closer.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Just be observant and attentive during the process. No need to ever be paranoid (not saying you are) because worrying will cause more harm than good.

There are lots of great people on INGO that will be more than happy to sit in on a reloading session with you if you put out a feeler asking. I would be more than happy to help if you were closer.

Thanks for the idea; early February I'm going to a friend of a friends house. He reloads precision rifle ammo, and I'm going to take over some powder, projectiles, primers, and pizza. Spend a few hours with him getting tips and pointers.

In the meantime, I'll just be tinkering with the 38 special as best I can. :)

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    That is always a possibility jzwhts.

I've got a set of "dippers" on order from Lee. Once those come in I'd like to try the same load, but by volume manually instead of using the auto feeder. That way I can be 100% sure that I loaded the right amount.

Sent PM regarding powder measure.

Top Bottom