• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DIRTROAD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Well I am going to start reloading, just want to know what everybody using as far as bullets and powder , I am going to load 9mm and 45acp . I have been looking at different bullets alloy , and copper plated any pros ,cons and what powder charts do you use for copper plated? What powder does everyone use. Thanks for all the input

Kirkd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood
    Hey,
    I'm new as well. Just a FYI, the Lee loading manual has powder recommendations for copper plated bullets. Haven't used it ... Yet. Hopefully someone will come along and comment.

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    Sticky at the top will get you started.
    As far as powder everyone is going to have their favorite. My pistol favorite is what I have been able to find since I started reloading again.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Good - luck - finding - powder.

So far I have just used the instructions that came with my die set. Any powder listed in there should be good to go. The thing I've noticed is that it takes different powders for different bullet weights sometimes, so powder choice might be critical, depending on whether you want to shoot FMJ or LRN, for example. Ideally, I'd like to find Titegroup, Unique, Clays, Power Pistol or HP38, but it just aint happening...

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    For a "new reloader", I would strongly recommend sticking to actual jacketed bullets, not various alloys for lead, or even plated bullets. Those require specific loads and techniques that you can certainly use the first time out, but it adds another layer of complexity. When loading cast lead bullets you need the diameter to be correct for your barrel and you need to keep the velocity in check. When loading plated bullets, you should mostly stick to loads meant for cast bullets, but the size of the plated bullets isn't quite as critical.

When loading jacketed bullets, you follow the process and the exact reloading recipe shown most commonly in reloading manuals. It's the smartest way to learn, IMHO.

JasonB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2013
    Pittsboro, IN
    I'm new to reloading on my own as well... I did a ton of research and as already mentioned everyone has a "Favorite" Powder and Bullet... I was looking for decent target loads...

Obviously this will get a lot of feedback but on the initial 500 9mm rounds I did solo here was direction:

- Winchester WSF Powder - Fills case to just under where bullet will seat, much less chance for double charge as power would over flow the case... Also it has a fairly forgiving load range for 9mm (5gr - 5.7gr depending on bullet type) which unlike several other choices meant if I was off slightly it wouldn't put me Over or Under the recommended charge.

-- DON'T LOAD TO BARE MIN OR MAX OF DATA... I setup Lee Measure to .2gr over Min that way if drop was light it wouldn't drop below Minimum and so I had a least .5gr before I got near the "Max" Load...

- Bullets: I didn't want to go Lead until I learned process far better... FMJ would have been ideal but they are as hard to find and expensive in 9mm as finding factory ammo... All I saw pointed me at Rainer Plated (as I found them in stock or I'd have went Berry's)... The biggest issue with 9mm was ensuring you keep a consistent OAL as length has very huge impacts on pressures and depending on your gun how they will run.

Starting out I was putting about every 10th powder drop on the scale, and measuring every 5-8 finished bullets for OAL... Before i got through first couple hundred I was feeling confident enough with visual of powder level and weighing every say 25 then doing OAL measurement every 20-30 as well...

Once you are able to understand your setup what minor changes to seat depth, charges or even crimps have then you can start playing around with different bullet types and powders...

If in doubt ask questions...

:twocents::ar15::twocents::ingo:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I use Winchester 231 for both those calibers. 1 lb of powder will load about 1400 45's or 1700 9mm's. (If I did the math in my head correctly)

I have not any trouble finding it on the shelf. At least at Tomlinsons in Churubusco.

My lead loads are exactly the same as my plated or jacketed loads. None of my ammo is at maximum though, most are about .5 grain under maximum. Give or take. In my experience, a lead bullet fired with the same charge as a jacketed bullet of the same weight indicates less pressure. I have always thought because it is easier to push the lead bullet down the bore.

Lead bullets are .356 for 9mm and .452 for 45. They always have been. It has been 45 years since I heard of oversize 9mm barrels and that was with the S&W 39 and some German pistol that was used since like 1899. I wiish I could remember the name.:)

Somebody will show me how I am wrong and lots of folks will get all worried and jacked up about their loading techniques. Somebody will have to teach me the technique for loading cast as opposed to jacketed.

All I know is, once my Pro 1000 is setup to load 9mm, nothing changes no matter what type of bullet, of the same approximate weight, is being loaded.

DIRTROAD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Thanks for the input , looks like I will be using bullseye powder to get started it was the only powder I could fine . I have both alloy and plated bullets not sure which one i will start with

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I am going to load up my first batch of .45 as soon as I receive my bullets and can find some powder. Decided to go with 200 grain LSWC. I would like to find some Bullseye but everybody is sold out. I did see a bottle of Winchester 231 today. Any thoughts from the experts as to my choices?

Top Bottom