• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    i'm not really all that supprised. they make the mini in 6.8, so why not their ar clone. it's really kind of a shame that round didn't get more attention. i like the round, but just not cheap enough to shoot all the time.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    It's just an upper change. I can't imagine it costing much more to create. Too bad it costs triple to shoot.

Folks seem to think of offshoot brands like that: The Ruger AR is an AR, not some crazy super proprietary thing that doesn't take AR parts. I actually had someone at one point ask me what mags the Ruger AR556 took!

Sort of like the Taurus PT1911, what mags does it take? Seriously? Give me your pistol... :D

6.8 though? Sounds nifty. A .308 (and not terribly expensive) would be better IMHO, especially if they make it less expensive than the others out there. It costs SO much to play the Ar10 game...:xmad:

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    i've got a pof 308 ar10 that runs like a scalded dog. love them. and from what i have heard most armalite's and dpms versions do very well also.

as for the 6.8 i got a lwrc piston and its a awesome round but is expensive unless you reload for it. either way i would like to look at rugers new creation for sure

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Folks seem to think of offshoot brands like that: The Ruger AR is an AR, not some crazy super proprietary thing that doesn't take AR parts. I actually had someone at one point ask me what mags the Ruger AR556 took!

Sort of like the Taurus PT1911, what mags does it take? Seriously? Give me your pistol... :D

6.8 though? Sounds nifty. A .308 (and not terribly expensive) would be better IMHO, especially if they make it less expensive than the others out there. It costs SO much to play the Ar10 game...:xmad:

Ruger AR556 isn't just an AR, it has a completely different gas piston set up than an AR-15.

From Ruger's website: "THE AR PLATFORM REDEFINED. The SR-556® offers Ruger's legendary rugged reliability, and comes factory standard with a host of accessories that today's shooters demand. Employing a patent-pending, chrome-plated, two-stage piston driven operating system that provides the user with a cleaner, cooler running, reliable firearm that is truly state-of-the-art.

The chrome-lined gas block and chrome-plated piston and regulator work together to provide a smooth power delivery stroke to the bolt carrier. The by-products of the gas system are vented out the bottom of the gas block, away from the bolt carrier, keeping the action clean and free from contaminants. The end result is significantly improved performance over gas driven rifles."

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    After reading further... It weighs .25 lbs less than the 5.56 version. The only thing I am not happy about is the 1:10 twist over 16 inches. I remember reading 1:11.25 is ideal for the 6.8.

Top Bottom