• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I still like good old walnut on my bolt actions, but I'm all for anything new to (at least in principle) displace the AR dominance.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    It took the death of old man Bill Ruger for the company to be able to move forward and start making innovative products that the market wanted.

Somewhat in his defense, I think they did an OK job making what the market wanted - (big qualification here) - "at the time he was alive." (Remember when the Mini-14 was the only affordable American alternative to Colts?) Sometimes it's hard to remember there really was a time in America when our gun-buying appetites had not yet been whetted by the arrival of intermodal containers full of dirt-cheap foreign Military surplus rifles, pouring into the country in crates at $139 apiece. The market has changed a lot since then. And it's good to see a company with financial, manufacturing, and marketing muscle get behind something like this. Part of the unwillingness to make these kinds of guns stems from our buying habits. The average gun buyer changes his mind and trades guns quicker than a jackrabbit finds a new girlfriend...and Bolt guns these days can become obsolete very quickly. They have to gamble that we can stay interested, and they can pay for their tooling before the guys who bought the first Rugers get divorced, change their interests, etc. and half the first production run comes back onto the market as used guns, with 50 rounds fired, at 75% the price (or we get ants in our pants and buy 3 more Mosin-Nagants instead). Seriously...how many long range setups do you see for sale here, which probably never even got sighted in beyond 200 yards before the owner got interested in something else? The problem is, we're more interested in the "Build" than we are the "Shoot." This gun looks like it begs to be shot. Ruger is testing whether we red-blood American boys want to be Riflemen and shoot things...or do we want to just build them up then sell them? This could be a really good product, if it's well-executed. On the other hand, if we really just want to tinker with things more than we want to shoot them...I can see this product quickly going back in the can, because "it can't do anything my AR can't."

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    That looks a lot like a rifle three of my friends started selling about 15 years ago. MAK tube guns. I have seen them shoot pretty substantial scores with them

MAK Tubeguns in 6BR, .243, 240 NMC

The Ruger adjustments on the Length of pull and the cheek piece looks pretty good for multi position shooters. With a Warner rear sight and an aperature sight on front, and a 29-1/2 inch 13 twist barrel, I think it might be under the max weight for Palma. If they are going to be $1000 plus tax out the door, that is a lot of rifle for the money.

Last edited:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    but I'm all for anything new to (at least in principle) displace the AR dominance.

It uses SR25 style mags from those evil black guns

Somewhat in his defense, I think they did an OK job making what the market wanted - (big qualification here) - "at the time he was alive."

Unless you wanted anything with over a 10 round magazine

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Somewhat in his defense, I think they did an OK job making what the market wanted - (big qualification here) - "at the time he was alive." (Remember when the Mini-14 was the only affordable American alternative to Colts?) Sometimes it's hard to remember there really was a time in America when our gun-buying appetites had not yet been whetted by the arrival of intermodal containers full of dirt-cheap foreign Military surplus rifles, pouring into the country in crates at $139 apiece. The market has changed a lot since then. And it's good to see a company with financial, manufacturing, and marketing muscle get behind something like this. Part of the unwillingness to make these kinds of guns stems from our buying habits. The average gun buyer changes his mind and trades guns quicker than a jackrabbit finds a new girlfriend...and Bolt guns these days can become obsolete very quickly. They have to gamble that we can stay interested, and they can pay for their tooling before the guys who bought the first Rugers get divorced, change their interests, etc. and half the first production run comes back onto the market as used guns, with 50 rounds fired, at 75% the price (or we get ants in our pants and buy 3 more Mosin-Nagants instead). Seriously...how many long range setups do you see for sale here, which probably never even got sighted in beyond 200 yards before the owner got interested in something else? The problem is, we're more interested in the "Build" than we are the "Shoot." This gun looks like it begs to be shot. Ruger is testing whether we red-blood American boys want to be Riflemen and shoot things...or do we want to just build them up then sell them? This could be a really good product, if it's well-executed. On the other hand, if we really just want to tinker with things more than we want to shoot them...I can see this product quickly going back in the can, because "it can't do anything my AR can't."

Unless you wanted anything with over a 10 round magazine

M67 made my point for me. Don't get me wrong, i'm a long time Ruger fan. And I love how similiar some of the stuff is to that of from the WWII theatre (Mini 14 / M14, M77 / Mauser, MK pistols / Nambu). But the firearm market has evolved over time and Ruger was unwilling thus being left in the dust. Since his death in 02, it seems like the company has came out with a new model every couple of months and things like high capacity magazines can now be purchased from them rather than relying on only aftermarket support.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    This month's American Rifleman has a nice write-up on this rifle. I was surprised to read that the action and trigger are essentially lifted directly from the Ruger American series. That would explain how they kept the cost relatively low. The thing is also heavy at ~9.5 lbs bare (unloaded, no optics or accessories) for the lightest model (.308).

Last edited:

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Ruger has a new bolt gun out to compete with the Remington and Colt modular-type platforms. Looks promising. Polymer lower/steel upper; accepts standard AR type rail systems, stocks, grips and selectors; accepts several types of .308 magazines (PMAGs etc), threaded muzzle. Available in .308, 6.5 Creedmoor and .243. MSRP $1399.

models-top.jpg

Ruger Precision Rifle?

You will be mine, oh lovely siren. Yes, yes you will.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    rickyjohnson111
    Top Bottom