• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wagswook

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    FYI:

NRA-ILA :: New Rules On Right-To-Carry In Our National Parks Take Effect Today

Friday, January 09, 2009 In early December, the U.S. Department of the Interior (DOI), through the National Park Service and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, announced the final amended version of a change to rules on carrying firearms in national parks and wildlife refuges. The change will restore the right of law-abiding gun owners to transport and carry concealed firearms for lawful purposes on most DOI lands, according to the laws of the states in which these public lands are located.
    The new rule, which takes effect today, allows Right-to-Carry permit holders to carry concealed firearms in national parks and wildlife refuges in states that recognize their permits. The new rule will also put an end to the patchwork of regulations that governed different lands managed by different federal agencies. In the past, Bureau of Land Management and Forest Service lands allowed the carrying of firearms, while lands managed by DOI did not.
    The change was obviously necessary, given the passage of Right-to-Carry laws in so many states over the past two decades. As expected, of course, anti-gun activists are adamantly opposed to the new rule, and are already seeking to block the right of law-abiding citizens to protect themselves and their families while on DOI lands.
    Not surprisingly, the first to jump on the "banned" wagon was the anti-gun Brady Campaign, in a lawsuit filed against the DOI in federal court, seeking to have the new rule struck down. The National Parks Conservation Association and the Coalition of National Park Service Retirees have also filed a similar suit.
    Brady contends that people have a right to visit parks without fear of permit-holders carrying guns. The contention is ludicrous, of course, since to get to a park requires people to travel through places where permit-holders abound, without posing any threat whatsoever.
    Using the same hyperbolic rhetoric and fear-mongering claims that are the mainstay of their anti-Right-to-Carry crusades, the Brady Campaign alleges that Right-to-Carry equals danger and violence, when countless studies and reams of data have repeatedly and consistently proved otherwise. Remember, the new rule will extend only to law-abiding citizens who have met the strict safety and background check requirements necessary to acquire a carry permit, and who are legally allowed to carry in the state in which the park is located.
    Rest assured that NRA will do everything within its power to keep this important change on the books.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    good post. I think the Brady people are a bunch of fear-mongers. Afraid of their own shadow and want others to be the same way...worthless.

I can hear the conversation now between a family of supporters for tighter gun control:

Husband says to wife: "Honey, where do you want to take the kids on vacation this summer?"

Wife says: "How about a trip out west to some national parks?"

Husband: "That's a good idea, I'll look into it."

Pause for research

Husband: "Honey, I checked into the national parks, and it looks like there all sorts of wildlife to see, hiking to do, and we could even rough it a bit and camp out if we want."

Wife: "That sounds great!"

Husband: "But there's a catch, it is possible that we may run into people carrying guns."

Wife: "People with Guns! :eek: We can't take the chance, especially with our little Johnny. You know, he gets really scared of things like that, and might have nightmares. Lets do something safer, like maybe take the kids to a petting zoo or something."

Little Johnny: "But mommy, I've always wanted to camp out in the wilderness, and see a real live bear in the wild, and maybe even some snakes and cool bugs."

Wife and Husband in unison: "I don't care Johnny, it is very dangerous to be around people with guns. They might shoot you!"

Johnny: "But mom..."

Wife and Husband again: "No buts young man. Our decision is final, I don't care how badly you want to see wild animals. People with guns are dangerous, and we just can't take that risk."

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    Ok, bottom line: Is it now LEGAL to carry in national parks in states which honor Indiana permits?

Yes. Any state that honors any permit that you may have. I guess it would still be possible for a the state that a National Park is in, to prohibit it, but as far as the U.S. Dept. of the Interior, we are good to go! :rockwoot::patriot:

G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    This is great news. I know that I sent a lot of letters and postcards via NRA prompting, to see that this would happen. This is one of the good things that we need to give some credit to the NRA for keeping on top of.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Loved your conversation here but you forgot to add that last line. . .
    I can hear the conversation now between a family of supporters for tighter gun control:

Husband says to wife: "Honey, where do you want to take the kids on vacation this summer?"

Wife says: "How about a trip out west to some national parks?"

Husband: "That's a good idea, I'll look into it."

Pause for research

Husband: "Honey, I checked into the national parks, and it looks like there all sorts of wildlife to see, hiking to do, and we could even rough it a bit and camp out if we want."

Wife: "That sounds great!"

Husband: "But there's a catch, it is possible that we may run into people carrying guns."

Wife: "People with Guns! :eek: We can't take the chance, especially with our little Johnny. You know, he gets really scared of things like that, and might have nightmares. Lets do something safer, like maybe take the kids to a petting zoo or something."

Little Johnny: "But mommy, I've always wanted to camp out in the wilderness, and see a real live bear in the wild, and maybe even some snakes and cool bugs."

Wife and Husband in unison: "I don't care Johnny, it is very dangerous to be around people with guns. They might shoot you!"

Johnny: "But mom..."

Wife and Husband again: "No buts young man. Our decision is final, I don't care how badly you want to see wild animals. People with guns are dangerous, and we just can't take that risk."
    So then wife says, "we better go somewhere safe, where there are no guns, how about a vacation to Chicago?"

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Monroe Reservoir (lake and dam) is an Army Corps of Engineers property.

This from http://140.194.76.129/publications/eng-pamphlets/ep1165-2-316/entire.pdf

Title 36 -- Parks, Forests, and Public Property
    CHAPTER 111 -- U.S. ARMY CORPS OF ENGINEERS
    PART 327--RULES AND REGULATIONS GOVERNING PUBLIC USE OF WATER RESOURCES DEVELOPMENT PROJECTS ADMINISTERED BY THE CHIEF OF ENGINEERS​

327.13 Explosives, firearms, other weapons and fireworks.
    [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](a) The possession of loaded firearms, ammunition, loaded projectile firing devices, bows and arrows, crossbows, or other weapons is prohibited unless: [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](1) In the possession of a Federal, state or local law enforcement officer; [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](2) Being used for hunting or fishing as permitted under 327.8, with devices being unloaded when transported to, from or between hunting and fishing sites; [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](3) Being used at authorized shooting ranges; or [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](4) Written permission has been received from the District Commander. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](b) Possession of explosives or explosive devices of any kind, including fireworks or other pyrotechnics, is prohibited unless written permission has been received from the District Commander.[/FONT]
    [/FONT]​

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Monroe Reservoir (lake and dam) is an Army Corps of Engineers property.

This from http://140.194.76.129/publications/eng-pamphlets/ep1165-2-316/entire.pdf

Title 36 -- Parks, Forests, and Public Property
    CHAPTER 111 -- U.S. ARMY CORPS OF ENGINEERS
    PART 327--RULES AND REGULATIONS GOVERNING PUBLIC USE OF WATER RESOURCES DEVELOPMENT PROJECTS ADMINISTERED BY THE CHIEF OF ENGINEERS

327.13 Explosives, firearms, other weapons and fireworks.
    [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](a) The possession of loaded firearms, ammunition, loaded projectile firing devices, bows and arrows, crossbows, or other weapons is prohibited unless: [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](1) In the possession of a Federal, state or local law enforcement officer; [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]
    [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](2) Being used for hunting or fishing as permitted under 327.8, with devices being unloaded when transported to, from or between hunting and fishing sites; [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](3) Being used at authorized shooting ranges; or [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](4) Written permission has been received from the District Commander. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](b) Possession of explosives or explosive devices of any kind, including fireworks or other pyrotechnics, is prohibited unless written permission has been received from the District Commander.[/FONT]
    [/FONT]

(2) Being used for hunting or fishing as permitted under 327.8 , with devices being unloaded when transported to, from or between hunting and fishing sites;

(3) Being used at authorized shooting ranges;

It's plenty legal enough for me. Have hundreds of times. Never been a problem.

Might be a problem if some one wanted to pace the boat ramps with a gun on their hip "educating" the public but for people with some sense I've never seen any one ever have a problem with it.

Probably half the boats on the water at any time have a gun in them somewhere.

Top Bottom