• ...and so much more!
  • khickey3492

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Kokomo
    I am fed up with the amount of distortion (chromatic aberration) my Konus spotting scope has at high mag levels. Otherwise it is a great scope.

To eliminate (reduce) this issue, I guess I need to look further up the price list to a scope with low dispersion glass in it.

Does anyone have any experience with some of the higher end spotting scopes. I have read many internet reviews, but hey, you guys know more than the internet!

Your :twocents: please.

Thanks,

Kevin

khickey3492

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Kokomo
    @Alan, it looks like I will probably be in the $750 range if internet pricing means anything. I see Vortex has low dispersion lenses. Can you comment on their performance?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    @Alan, it looks like I will probably be in the $750 range if internet pricing means anything. I see Vortex has low dispersion lenses. Can you comment on their performance?

The razor line glass (in binoculars) actually beat Swarovski this year for binos of the year. Its the first time in a number of years Swarovski has not taken home that title.

Most of my experiance is with the High density, low dispersion models like the Viper HD and Razor HD. Ive spent a few hours behind the viper low dispersion model aswell, but not the amount of time I have behind the HD models.

Ive used almost all of your major brands spotters in the past. The Viper HD line at 899 is the best bang for your buck out there. I used one for a couple years exclusivly. Now I use the Razor line and its defintally better, but I dont think its 700 dollars better. I got a great deal on upgrading from the Viper HD line to the razor line so I went for it. It only cost me about 100 bucks to upgrade and the Razor is 100 dollars better.

When comparing the Viper HD to the Viper line I do believe the Viper HD is worth the extra 150 dollars over the Viper line if most of your viewing is north of 600 yards. I think the 150 dollars extra in this instance will pay for its self over time. But if you dont want to pay the extra for the HD glass then Im not aware of a better spotter on the market for 749 dollars than the standard viper.

1 thing I do line about the Viper and ViperHD line over the Razor line is on the viper lines they put a small picatinny rail on the spotter to mount a red dot. You sight the red dot into the center of the spotters view and aim the dot at the target, and look threw the spotter and its right there. Its a great Idea.

Top Bottom