New Survey Says 22% of guns sold without background check.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I liked the linked article on gun "super owners". https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/sep/19/us-gun-ownership-survey

Apparently 3% of gun owners own 50% of the guns. Doesn't this diminish the whole background check argument? After all, of the 22% of sales done without a background check, half of those statistically are purchases by these super-owners who have an average of 17 guns already. Then of the remaining 11% of sales, how many of those were to existing gun owners? I would think the actual number of first time gun buyers who make a purchase without a background check is statistically insignificant.

My new t-shirt. " I am the 3%"

Wait a minute...

17 guns makes me a "Super-Owner"?

Hot damn. I am the 3% too!

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    if youve never had a background check to buy a gun other than a lower i have to assume your buying used guns from private individuals or whoever your buying them from likes violating federal law.

I would request that you cite the "Federal Law" that persons selling to the op is violating! The BATF's LAW for selling to a non-licensed individual is that the person selling the firearm "cannot sell a firearm to a person that they know or have reasonable reason to suspect is not legal to possess a firearm". Legally I could sell to a complete stranger I do not have any knowledge about. There is absolutely no law or method for a non-licensed individual to do a background check. However I personally would not sell a firearm to anyone I did not know, but even if you sell to anyone using the classified, you cannot tell if they have had a domestic battery incident 30 years ago or have some other issue. By the way the "Domestic Battery" conviction was not a Felony a few years ago and did not have any bearing on whether you could own firearms. Many of the disqualifying Felonies did not exist when I was a young man, including DUI's (There was no law against drinking and driving then).

I am one who has purchased several firearms without a background check as I do purchase a lot of firearms from individuals. Several acquiescence know I will buy firearms if the price is right. However I do have a Indiana lifetime carry permit and have a Federal FFL-03 license (curio and relic).

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    I would request that you cite the "Federal Law" that persons selling to the op is violating! The BATF's LAW for selling to a non-licensed individual is that the person selling the firearm "cannot sell a firearm to a person that they know or have reasonable reason to suspect is not legal to possess a firearm". Legally I could sell to a complete stranger I do not have any knowledge about. There is absolutely no law or method for a non-licensed individual to do a background check. However I personally would not sell a firearm to anyone I did not know, but even if you sell to anyone using the classified, you cannot tell if they have had a domestic battery incident 30 years ago or have some other issue. By the way the "Domestic Battery" conviction was not a Felony a few years ago and did not have any bearing on whether you could own firearms. Many of the disqualifying Felonies did not exist when I was a young man, including DUI's (There was no law against drinking and driving then).

I am one who has purchased several firearms without a background check as I do purchase a lot of firearms from individuals. Several acquiescence know I will buy firearms if the price is right. However I do have a Indiana lifetime carry permit and have a Federal FFL-03 license (curio and relic).

+1. I never knew a personal transaction from individual to individual being against the law. If your asking for valid ID's and make a copy of his or her permit with a bill of sale, I would say your being a responsible and proud gun owner thereby following any and all laws that accompany the legality of owning, selling, or trading a gun to another rightful and legal person.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I would just like to point something out: 100% of guns are sold via a background check. Now 22% of sales might be made without checks, but each individual firearm had to be transferred from an FFL to a private citizen at some point.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I assume they're considering any face-to-face transaction to be "without a background check"

So, they're trying to say... "sold without a background check at the time of purchase"

... Ignoring the law requirement of selling to a "proper person"... which often involves seeing if they have an LTCH... which means they've already had a BG check.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I am surprised we have any members here with 17 or more guns with the rash of tragic boating accidents we have periodically.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    "These guns are concentrated in the hands of just 3% of American adults – a group of super-owners who have amassed an average of 17 guns each."

So if I have 250% of this figure, am I a MEGA-owner?

Don

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    New survey says, surveys like this are useless, because a lot of "gun people" lie on their survey.
    In fact, studies have shown MOST people lie on surveys.
    They say they eat better than they really do.
    They say they would help people more, than they really do.
    Etc.
    Well I certainly wouldn't pick up a drunk lady in Gary at night, but I would probably give someone a tow.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    "These guns are concentrated in the hands of just 3% of American adults – a group of super-owners who have amassed an average of 17 guns each."

So if I have 250% of this figure, am I a MEGA-owner?

Don
    Don't know about "MEGA-owner?"--I Do know that you will attract attention of the BATFE Associates that follow this forum.
    If you see more than usual traffic of Black Crown Vics., with the Moon hubcaps around your property, than your street address has been given up???...Bill.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom