• ...and so much more!
  • Cet2survivor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2015
    North Carolina
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I was looking around my LGS and I found this. It was listed as a Russian 91/30. As you can see, the rear sight is different than any other 91/30 I have seen. The rifle was a few inches longer than the other 91/30's displayed. I believe this is a finnish m91. As you can see it is all numbers matching, hex receiver mosin. :rockwoot:

3.png 2.png Untitled.png

Last edited by a moderator:

mkgr22

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Starlight, IN
    That's a nice find, especially if you got it for a 91/30 price.

Yes, it is a Finnish M91. Have you taken it apart to check the tang date?

Cet2survivor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2015
    North Carolina
    That's a nice find, especially if you got it for a 91/30 price.

Yes, it is a Finnish M91. Have you taken it apart to check the tang date?
    Yea for a 91/30 price... No I haven't checked the tang date.... Where would that be, is there any significance with the date ? Or just find out when it was made ?

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Very nice! You are correct, M91 made in 1942 at VKT (Valtion Kirvääritehdas, State Rifle Factory), last year of production.
    And you got a really good price!
    Don't be too surprised if there isn't a date on the tang, the Finns tended to mill the tang to improve the fit in the stock. If you haven't taken apart a M91, you need to turn the band screws clockwise to loosen them, not counterclockwise. Also be careful when removing the barreled action from the stock, there is a good chance there are shims between the wood and metal. When the Finns test fired their rifles they put shims where needed to get maximum accuracy so you'll want to note where the shims are so you can replace them correctly during reassembly.

Cet2survivor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2015
    North Carolina
    Very nice! You are correct, M91 made in 1942 at VKT (Valtion Kirvääritehdas, State Rifle Factory), last year of production.
    And you got a really good price!
    Don't be too surprised if there isn't a date on the tang, the Finns tended to mill the tang to improve the fit in the stock. If you haven't taken apart a M91, you need to turn the band screws clockwise to loosen them, not counterclockwise. Also be careful when removing the barreled action from the stock, there is a good chance there are shims between the wood and metal. When the Finns test fired their rifles they put shims where needed to get maximum accuracy so you'll want to note where the shims are so you can replace them correctly during reassembly.

Wow, okay, thank you very much. That's great to know about the shims, I had no idea , that could have been bad. Also, thank you, I had no idea about removing the bands backwards.

As as soon as I take it apart I'll let y'all know what the year is. I'll try to get some more Pics too.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Wow, okay, thank you very much. That's great to know about the shims, I had no idea , that could have been bad. Also, thank you, I had no idea about removing the bands backwards.

As as soon as I take it apart I'll let y'all know what the year is. I'll try to get some more Pics too.

You're welcome! Better to find out this way than the hard way. M91 barrel bands aren't exactly cheap.

Top Bottom