New to Reloading -- Think of purchase? Advice be good.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mpd

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    Westfield
    I just purchased a new 357 magnum. I have found out that my urge to shoot is greater than my wallet can afford when buying factory. Having done my due diligence I have tried to educate myself on reloading. I am looking into a press. I believe the one I want is a turret Lee Classic precision press. ( Amazon.com : Lee Precision Classic Turret Press Kit : Gunsmithing Tools And Accessories : Sports & Outdoors ). Couple of questions?

Has anyone bought this press? Have you bought it from amazon...

What are you experiences?

My understanding that the die for 38 special is the same for a 357, but a few adjustments of the die would be required. Can anyone confirm?

If there are older post of this please forward them to me. Thank you.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Unless you are planning on loading more than a few hundred a month, the Lee Classic turret would be a great choice.... Be aware that Lee offers two (4) hole turret presses... The original is a very good press and has a shorter throw, but isn't built as heavily... The Classic is built much heavier but has a longer throw...

I had the original and later bought the Classic... Things can always change, but currently I couldn't imagine needing anything different.

I bought my from either MidwayUSA or Natchez... Just don't remember... I also bought just the press because I had already had many things from loading with a single stage and knew I wouldn't like a few things in the kit... Looking at the kit you linked, I believe you will like everything except MAYBE the powder scale... You will be glad the kit includes the PRO powder measure...

The 38 special / .357 mag dies will work for both. If you get the (4) die set that includes their factory crimp die, the instructions will be the same for both calibers, just a different adjustment for (3) of the dies due to the different case lengths...

mpd

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    Westfield
    I can see myself spending a couple hours a week reloading.

to confirm...you believe the attached link would be a good choice when choosing a reloading kit.

I have tried to view many youtube videos when determining and learning save process.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I can see myself spending a couple hours a week reloading.

to confirm...you believe the attached link would be a good choice when choosing a reloading kit.

I have tried to view many youtube videos when determining and learning save process.

Initially you might want to run it as a single stage, taking your time and learning each step individually... In time, you will be running much faster, possibly loading 200 in an hour... If that sounds like it would fit your needs, I don't think you could make a better choice as far as the press... As for the "Kit", that's a bit tougher to answer... I personally don't like their scale, but some do... I do like the Pro powder measure and Lee's modern reloading manual. You will also use the safety primer system.

A rough estimate would be you would be paying about $100 extra for the "kit" vs buying the press by itself... I would probably do it and form your own opinion on their scale... Just be aware that might be the one thing you MIGHT want to upgrade later.. The pro auto disk, manual, and safety primers are roughly a $75 value by themselves...

Don't forget the dies, a set of calipers, and a second manual can never hurt... If I only had (2) manuals on the bench, they would be the current Lyman's and Lee's modern reloading...

raptorracer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    If you are just shooting .357 take a look at the Lee single stage presses. Very good for a beginner to start on a single stage and understand how everything is supposed to work and if you have any empty brass in .357 let me know:)

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I have the press that you picked out and have used it for years with no problems. I use it mostly to load 44 mag and 9 mm. I think it is a great press. A single stage press is better to start with and has many uses even after you think you have out grown it and pick up a turret press.

Like others have said some of the stuff in the kit you will want to replace. Some other stuff you will need to pick up. Such as a case trimmer. The one that Lee makes works but it is hard on the hands and very time consuming. The one I use is made by Forster. It is very easy on the hands and very fast to use.

The scale that comes with the kit is usable. I like the RCBS much better. The model I use is the 5-0-2. I have used it for longer than I care to remember. It has worked well.

Most of the stuff you will have to try for yourself and get what you like. That is why the guy above told you to go to Profire. They have all sorts of loading presses and other stuff that you need for reloading.

Also there are all sorts of presses, they have a good supply of them set up that you can check out.

After you are all set up you will need tools like calipers to check length of cases and over all lengths.

A bullet puller comes in handy at times when you make a mistake. I use the Hornady bullet puller. It works great and don't damage the bullets getting them out of a case.

I have told you of stuff that I use and like. As stated above you will have to decide most of this stuff for yourself. What works for you and what makes you happy. Just like guns.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Extreme is giving you great advise. You can run the Classic press as a single stage until to get some time under your belt learning each station. You will learn by resistance of the lever if something is wrong. This is easier done as a single stage. Once you gain some experience you will be ready to go to progressive mode.

Do yourself a favor and get a good digital scale. I have the RCBS 750 digital scale and Lyman Manual calipers. You won't need a trimmer unless you are running rifle cases. I have a brand new Hornady that I will sell at my cost if you are interested. PM me if you are and I will give more details.

Take a reloading class from Profire and you will save money on things you don't need and be ahead of the learning curve.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    For the need you've described, there simply isn't a better press on the market, for the money, than the Lee Classic Turret. Buy that kit, upgrade to a better scale, load single-stage for a while and you'll be on your way to shooting your 357 Magnum at less than half the price of factory. As a bonus, you'll be able to tailor your loads from heavy to mild 38 Special, all while using the full-length magnum brass.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Yes you can load .357 with the .38 SPL dies. The factory Crimp Die in the 4-die set is a good investment.

I agree with all the others, you will love the Classic Turret Press.

Pro Auto Disk is nice but you will still want a separate powder measure, IMO.

Using lead bullets, I load .38 Special for ~$6 to $6.50 per 50 rounds. .357 Magnum for ~$10 with jacketed bullets.

mpd

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    Westfield
    Awesome thread... thanks for the input from everyone. As mentioned before I am new to the shooting world as I just purchased my first firearms roughly a month ago. I have found out that I enjoy shooting a lot.

I called Profire Arms as I plan on stoping over there some time in the future to see the various presses and get some information.

Thanks for input. Any one else please feel free to add input as well.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I was in the exact same boat (new .357 revolver, wanted to shoot more) and so far the Lee Classic Turret has been great

I pieced mine together, just to get a different scale. Otherwise the full kit is good to go
    Get Calipers, and a relaoding manual as well

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You're close enough that you should head down to Profire and take a class. You'll get to use different equipment and and get a hands on feel for what you'd like to invest in.

Welcome to Profire Arms and Supply - Indianapolis, Indiana's ONLY Full Line Reloading Supply Shop !!

+10000! Buy local, from guys who know their fashizzle. You may pay a wee bit more, but these guys will make sure you get the press you NEED and help you all along the way. You may save a few bucks following that link, but amazon wont be able to answer any questions if there is an issue. Heck, Profire may even have a used press for less from somebody who is a couple steps ahead of you that advanced to a bigger press.

When I get into reloading, They will be my first stop. I already rely on them for my hard to find ammo. (they also sell ammo)

mpd

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    Westfield
    Great information. I did indeed top in at Profire Arms. Great customer service.

They showed me a very nice progressive press... Dillon Square Deal B. It was very good progressive. If I were to buy one immediately it would be that one, but I still leaning towards the Lee Classic Press as I do not know how much reloading I will be doing.

I will definately be buying my bullets and powder from Profire Arms. Good information and good service.

Top Bottom