• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    OutdoorDad had a good suggestion to start out with the 9mm first. The cases require little or no preparation for reloading. The bottle-necked .223 will require trimming as a minimum and may require primer pocket attention before loading.

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    I do like the suggestion to start with 9mm first to kind of get the hang of things since it is easier. I have ordered all of the necessary equipment to prepare the .223 brass, but I do think it would be better to get my first experience on an easier caliber to figure things out.

lizerdking

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Almost on lake Mich
    Welcome to the addiction :)

I hope you didn't start with the thought you were going to save money, because that's not how it works (even if that's what we tell our wives). You're going to want to try different projectiles, powders, cases, trimming methods, presses, etc. Before long you will have more invested than if you just went and bought a bunch of surplus ammo (especially if you factor in your time), but that's not a bad thing ;)

Just be safe and have fun with it, some of the best advice I was given was similar to "Your reloading process shouldn't be hurried and cheap, saving a few pennies isn't worth an eye/hand/cost of new gun. Reload like you're not in it to save money".

The Lee Reloading manual is a good read, it reads like grandpa wrote it just for you, well worth the investment and it has a boatload of load data in back to boot.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Good deal, and also-good luck with children that miss a normal sleep pattern!

I'll second much of the info. in Ohoian's post, above! 9mm:
    CCI, and/or Winchester primers, and Win231 (HP 38 is [STRIKE]a close substitute[/STRIKE]the same exact powder) or Power Pistol powder.

See above

RMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    McCordsville
    H335 was my choice for accuracy with my 223. I tried Varget numerous times with numerous calibers and got the same results......it sux and WAAAY overrated. For 9mm I really like Power Pistol but there are a lot of powders that do well with that caliber. I tend to like a higher load density so I can clearly see the powder level in the case at a glance. I chose Power Pistol because I can use it to load every pistol caliber I shoot.... 380, 9mm, 357 Sig, 40 S&W, and 45 acp.

superluckycat

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 23, 2016
    Madison

I hope you didn't start with the thought you were going to save money, because that's not how it works (even if that's what we tell our wives). You're going to want to try different projectiles, powders, cases, trimming methods, presses, etc. Before long you will have more invested than if you just went and bought a bunch of surplus ammo (especially if you factor in your time), but that's not a bad thing ;)

Just be safe and have fun with it, some of the best advice I was given was similar to "Your reloading process shouldn't be hurried and cheap, saving a few pennies isn't worth an eye/hand/cost of new gun. Reload like you're not in it to save money".

The Lee Reloading manual is a good read, it reads like grandpa wrote it just for you, well worth the investment and it has a boatload of load data in back to boot.

I've been reloading for all of 3 months and I know I've dropped at least $3500.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana

Gotta say I feel I have saved money since I've started reloading. Figure I'm loading 9mm for about $.15 a round which I figure is $.10 cheaper per round than I can purchase retail or even wholesale. Plus, I figure there is an added benefit of being able to custom tailor various loads. I've long since recovered the initial cost of the equipment and even if I decide to get out of reloading I could always recoup at least part of the equipment cost thru resale.
    Part of the equation has to be volume. The more you shoot the more you will save. Some will say that shooting more as a result of reloading is a a negative since you're actually sending more money. I don't buy that argument. I figure anything that allows me to shoot more at a lower level round cost is a benefit.

lizerdking

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Almost on lake Mich
    Gotta say I feel I have saved money since I've started reloading. Figure I'm loading 9mm for about $.15 a round which I figure is $.10 cheaper per round than I can purchase retail or even wholesale. Plus, I figure there is an added benefit of being able to custom tailor various loads. I've long since recovered the initial cost of the equipment and even if I decide to get out of reloading I could always recoup at least part of the equipment cost thru resale.
    Part of the equation has to be volume. The more you shoot the more you will save. Some will say that shooting more as a result of reloading is a a negative since you're actually sending more money. I don't buy that argument. I figure anything that allows me to shoot more at a lower level round cost is a benefit.

Shooting more for less is a huge benefit. I never said reloading wasn't a great game to get into, just that in the long run your bank account balance isn't going to be higher ;)

About the time I start breaking even, I buy a new gun and the cycle begins again.

++1

OHOIAN

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2014
    NE OHIO
    just that in the long run your bank account balance isn't going to be higher
     Well you are certainly correct about that. But you will have more ammunition for the same money, thus shoot more often and become a better shooter.

ketilla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2016
    Muncie
    I don't currently reload but I am wanting to start. I want to reload my 38 special and my 20 gauge shot shells. So here is my question: how many times can I reload brass? How many times can I reload my shot shells (20 gauge)?

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I don't currently reload but I am wanting to start. I want to reload my 38 special and my 20 gauge shot shells. So here is my question: how many times can I reload brass? How many times can I reload my shot shells (20 gauge)?

I'm unsure about shot shells, but how many times you can reload brass is variable, with the quality of the brass itself, pressure levels (the milder the loads, the longer it lasts), how aggressively you resize it, and a few other areas (die quality, size of your gun's chambers, etc.), but you can generally get at least about a dozen reloads out of .38 Special brass.
    What generally happens when brass failure is imminent is that it gets work-hardened and can crack or split, especially at the neck region.
    It can also have the case head separate, or even have the primer pocket blow out.
    Just carefully inspect each case, especially after four or five reloads and discard any that looks questionable.
    Some reloading manuals and even some gun magazines show photos of what to look for when inspecting brass, so try to locate those if you can.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I have been reloading for more years than I care to think about. I got started in it because I needed more accurate loads than I could buy. I was shooting in IHMS events. That is where you shoot hand guns out to 200 yards and try to knock down animal type targets that go 80 plus pounds. Well the 200 yard rams go eighty or maybe it's 90 lbs. I really don't remember. Any way you have to have power and accuracy and it's in a hand gun. So if you wanted to hit anything you had to reload and you would end up reloading for a wildcat. No one sells wildcat rounds so you have to build them yourself.

Reloading is a hobby just like any other, It's going to cost you money and take up time. Don't expect to come out ahead on the money part. I never have. The more you reload the more you shoot. After you get comfortable with reloading you will start reloading for all the calibers you shoot. You will buy a new gun and then buy dies for it and all the stuff needed to reload for it. Or that is how it goes for most of the people that I know that reload. The latest wildcat that I load for is the 358 Hoosier. It's a great round and can match the parent case in F.P.S., 358 Winchester. The reason for it is to hunt deer in Indiana with a rifle. It met all the requirements to be legal for deer. 358 calibber bullet and a 1.8" case.

You have been given a lot of good information. I really can't add to it. I just thought I would put my 2 cents in and give you an idea of what you are getting into.

As far as reloading 9mm, I use Unique. For the 223 or 5.56 I use H 335 as others have stated it works along with a lot of others. I have also used IMR 4895 and a old stand by of IMR 3031. They all have worked well and work well in other rounds such as the 308 and 3030. I try to stock and use powders that can be used in a lot of calibers. I also try to use powders that will fill a case over half way that way if you give it a double charge you spill powder all over the place letting you know you just messed up. The clean up is a lot easer than blowing up a gun or hurting yourself or someone standing around when you fired it.

I wish you good luck with your new hobby.

Top Bottom