• ...and so much more!
  • FrankTank83

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Hello Everyone,

I'm in the market for a tumbler for cleaning brass. I'm looking for a compromise between value and reliability. For the past few years, a friend would run some brass for me, but I'd like to start running my own. For those of you with more experience, what manufacturers do you like and which tumbler would you recommend?

Thanks,
    Frank

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I have a frankford arsenal, that with a gift cert I won from amazon cost me $17 bucks shipped.

It's been pretty rock solid for me, and I've fit quite a few 45 cases in it :)

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    Frankfort Arsenal tumbler-- Made in China

Smart Reloader Products-- Italian Company, manufactured in china

Berry's tumblers made right here in the U.S. of A except for the motor which no one here makes.

Seems simple to me as all are in the same price range to support our own folks. Course if you wish to support the Red Chinese, have at it, lets hope your job stays here as well.

BTW buy the Berry's tumbler branded by Cabelas and get a forever satisfaction guarantee.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Definitely Thumler's Rotary Tumbler (pretty much a rock tumbler). Much quieter than a vibratory and it should last a lot longer. You can also use wet media if you wish like the stainless steel media and your brass is clean inside and out. It will cost you three times one of the cheap vibratory units though.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Frankfort Arsenal tumbler-- Made in China

Smart Reloader Products-- Italian Company, manufactured in china

Berry's tumblers made right here in the U.S. of A except for the motor which no one here makes.

Seems simple to me as all are in the same price range to support our own folks. Course if you wish to support the Red Chinese, have at it, lets hope your job stays here as well.

BTW buy the Berry's tumbler branded by Cabelas and get a forever satisfaction guarantee.

Last week I ordered a Berrys 400: Berry's Model 400 Tumbler - Cleans & Polishes Brass Cases -- I'm looking forward to its arrival soon!

What made me choose this model was:

1. Made in USA. I am not one of those guys who always buys American, but at this point, I'm turning into one. :patriot:

2. Solid lid. The other American products in my price range (< $75) were Lymans brand, but they had slotted lids and with kids, I wanted to limit as much of the tumbling "fallout" as I could.

3. Warranty. Lifetime on the plastic, three years on the motor.

4. It's blue and matches Mrs. Miguel's eyes. :D

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    Definitely Thumler's Rotary Tumbler (pretty much a rock tumbler). Much quieter than a vibratory and it should last a lot longer. You can also use wet media if you wish like the stainless steel media and your brass is clean inside and out. It will cost you three times one of the cheap vibratory units though.

Quiter than a vibratory, that is open for debate. You have never heard my tumbler, nor I yours.:dunno:

Course one can get one of the rotary tumblers from Harbor Freight for a song, but then we are back to chinese goods. But then again nowhere near the same price range.

FrankTank83

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Thanks for the input everyone. I had not considered the rotary-type tumblers until now. But with a little one, I am more concerned about lead dust and other contaminants. Having a liquid waste seems like it may be safer on little lungs, even if it is more difficult to clean up.

I am leaning towards the Thumler's - I think are made in USA :dunno:, which would be a bonus. Looking around the net, it seems like the Thumlers range from ~$160 to $200. Midway, Brownell's, Cabela's, and Buffalo Arms are all sold out. Have I missed something or has the panic spread to tumblers too?

snuffy33

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 25, 2008
    Indy
    I am leaning towards the Thumler's - I think are made in USA :dunno:, which would be a bonus. Looking around the net, it seems like the Thumlers range from ~$160 to $200. Midway, Brownell's, Cabela's, and Buffalo Arms are all sold out. Have I missed something or has the panic spread to tumblers too?

HobbyTown had them in stock the last time I was in the US31 S. store.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Quiter than a vibratory, that is open for debate. You have never heard my tumbler, nor I yours.:dunno:

Course one can get one of the rotary tumblers from Harbor Freight for a song, but then we are back to chinese goods. But then again nowhere near the same price range.

Not up for debate in my house. I own two vibratory tumblers and I can assure you my Thumler's rotary is far quieter. Also, if you would note my choice of tumbler, you would realize it isn't from Harbor Freight, nor China as it seems to matter to you.

I'm not the one operating in the dark here sir.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Anyone have any comments on the Lyman tumbler?

Lyman Products Your Primary Source for Reloading Equipment

I really don't have any space concerns (plenty of counter space, I have like a big U in the basement), just want to upgrade.

I have a Frankford Arsenal that I purchased at Four Guns here in Lafayette (only one I found on the shelf) when I was getting the reloading room set up. I want to get another so I cane use the current one for different cases or as a reserve.

This is the one I use now: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/587176/frankford-arsenal-quick-n-ez-case-tumbler-110-volt

Last edited:

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Anyone have any comments on the Lyman tumbler?

Lyman Products Your Primary Source for Reloading Equipment

I really don't have any space concerns (plenty of counter space, I have like a big U in the basement), just want to upgrade.

I have a Frankford Arsenal that I purchased at Four Guns here in Lafayette (only one I found on the shelf) when I was getting the reloading room set up. I want to get another so I cane use the current one for different cases or as a reserve.

This is the one I use now: Frankford Arsenal Quick-N-EZ Case Tumbler 110 Volt

I've ran a Lyman for the past 3-4 years and have no complaints.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have the big Lyman Pro 2500. Lots of capacity, plenty of power. I had a business in 2011 where I ran two tumblers 24 hours /day 7 days a week, pretty much for a year. I also have a Hornady, that is not as big. Neither failed. The Lyman has thinner and more brittle plastic, both in the bowl and the base. The Lyman is showing wear and erosion, that does not hurt the function, but I am sure it would have eventually. After wiping the Hornady off with a damp cloth, the Hornady still looks new. It also came both slotted and solid lids.

I am sure either would last a long time with normal use.

Top Bottom