• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    I finished installing the chimney for our brand new wood stove this afternoon. We were all so excited. We planned an evening of popcorn, Charlie Brown Thanksgiving, and doing the typical night before Thanksgiving preps, all while enjoying a nice hot fire in the brand new wood stove. Currently, I am wearing ear plugs preparing the brine for the turkey. My wife and child and dog decided they had to leave for the sake of their sanity. But the Turkey must brine overnight, so am here sticking it out.

You see, I have been researching codes and methods for installing wood stoves for months. We looked long and hard to find the very best wood stove to suit our needs. During all this research, I never came across the many many web articles about how the first burn would set the paint and also set off the smoke alarms. Apparently, it is a very common thing. So, here I am in a nice warm house, prepping Thanksgiving dinner in ear plugs by myself. I suppose I could cut the air intake and extinguish the fire so the alarms would stop, or I can just keep it hot and put my ear muffs over my ear plugs and deal with it. I suppose I need to get it over with.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I finished installing the chimney for our brand new wood stove this afternoon. We were all so excited. We planned an evening of popcorn, Charlie Brown Thanksgiving, and doing the typical night before Thanksgiving preps, all while enjoying a nice hot fire in the brand new wood stove. Currently, I am wearing ear plugs preparing the brine for the turkey. My wife and child and dog decided they had to leave for the sake of their sanity. But the Turkey must brine overnight, so am here sticking it out.

You see, I have been researching codes and methods for installing wood stoves for months. We looked long and hard to find the very best wood stove to suit our needs. During all this research, I never came across the many many web articles about how the first burn would set the paint and also set off the smoke alarms. Apparently, it is a very common thing. So, here I am in a nice warm house, prepping Thanksgiving dinner in ear plugs by myself. I suppose I could cut the air intake and extinguish the fire so the alarms would stop, or I can just keep it hot and put my ear muffs over my ear plugs and deal with it. I suppose I need to get it over with.

Or . . . . . . . you could disconnect the alarm.

Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    Silencing the alarm would mean getting the ladder from the barn to reach the alarm in the vaulted ceiling. Ear plugs and muffs are in my closet. Much less work to get the ear protection. My cat isn’t happy, but I don’t like my cat, so it’s kind of fun.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Filing this away... wood stove downstairs is on our short list. But will require somebody with exponentially more skill than myself to run the outdoor vertical, strip the siding, frame it, and cover it with 3 sides of siding.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    In my early 20s, my friends and I lived around Marietta, OH during the 70s and 80s.
    We were modernizing, so we all ended up venting our newly installed wood stoves into our wood fireplaces.
    We were on the cutting edge of technology. :laugh:
    Wood was plentiful, everyone knew someone who had a farm with a woods attached.
    Getting firewood stolen stacked up against one's garage was an real issue.

Diesel24v

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Central
    Hey at least you’ve got a nice warm fire. I will say the first burn every year will smell bad as well until the dust and stuff is burnt off from the off season. I won’t be without a wood stove It’s great knowing you’re coming in from the old to a nice warm house heated with wood. I find myself staying out longer than I did before the wood stove.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I wish you well with the wood fire heater.

I just had a fire recovery case (Red Cross volunteer that I am) where a guy burned his mobile home out using a wood burning heater. No one hurt, but he’s lost his home and worldly possessions.

Keep an eye on yours and stay alert! Keep the smoke/CO alarms is service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I wish you well with the wood fire heater.

I just had a fire recovery case (Red Cross volunteer that I am) where a guy burned his mobile home out using a wood burning heater. No one hurt, but he’s lost his home and worldly possessions.

Keep an eye on yours and stay alert! Keep the smoke/CO alarms is service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup.
    Properly installed with the proper materials with a proper draft.

Top Bottom