New York Times reports less gun owners in the U.S.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blackdog765

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    I didn't get to read the whole article, and apologize for not having the link, I know that isn't very good. I saw it at Starbucks and was able to gloss through the concept of the article.

Basically what I think they were reporting is that there are less gun owners in the U.S. today, based upon the survey that they researched themselves.

My immediate thought was, I wouldn't tell the New York Times that I owned any guns if they asked. And of course I don't own any, but if I did I wouldn't admit to it. Did anyone else see that article and am I right in what they were proposing?

I felt like it was their attempt at claiming there are less people owning them today anyway, other than the fringe kooks, so what would it hurt to ban the guns? They didn't come out and say that directly, but that was the angle I thought they were going for in the article.

Did you see the article today, and what did you think?

Shiban

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    How much of this is due to the fact that gun ownership has been villanized so much, that people aren't responding truthfully?

dam7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    fort wayne
    I heard a report on the radio on this story , however as in any survey you can tailor the questions to achieve a desired result, who was surveyed ,what the sample amount ,what is the error percentage,.. I agree in the present environment no one is going to admit to gun ownership to a pollster.... I know of several co employees who would never have considered owning a fire arm who have purchased one or two. In the past 4 months

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    This makes perfect sense. All of those guns that have been flying off the shelves for the last few months have been going to existing gun owners. No new owners out there. Oh, and all of the people buying up ammo. Those are old owners as well. And all of those people taking Handgun 101 classes, they are old gun owners as well... Ummm...

I think they NY Times contracted with the North Korean news service for this survy.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I'm a retired engineer, I have worked with statistics for many years. The statistics and surveys are much the same. These are only as unbiased as the person calculating the statistics or conducting the survey. If you take say 20% of your survey in New York, 15% in Chicago - and pick up 40% in California for the rural study, possible 10% in Illinois and New Jersey, then pick out a southern state (or an area of certain states) that has strict gun control - you get the "trend" you are wanting to see. In addition, in the last 10 years less and less people are "admitting" to firearm ownership. Can't take them if you can't find them.

Jarhead77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Noblesville
    Liars figure and figures lie. Gun sale have grown exponentially since December. Columbus....,Ohio State huh? I guess them buckeyes are not too smart are they.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    And the reason we pay attention to any of this is..........................?????

Because these sorts of BS "polls" are what politicians use to push their agendas and what the ignorant masses of people read and choose to believe. So, these polls help sway public opinion and political motives.

funeralweb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    Because these sorts of BS "polls" are what politicians use to push their agendas and what the ignorant masses of people read and choose to believe. So, these polls help sway public opinion and political motives.

Yep. It's called "propaganda". Funny how we used to criticize the USSR for feeding it to their people and now our government has its own low information people on a steady diet of it.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I think the quote from Mark Twain said it best, "'There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.'"

:laugh:

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I do believe firearms owners as a percentage of population is down a few points since the 1960's isn't it? It's only gone up as of late though I'm sure.

cook4army

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    Personally, I think it's a combination of all of the things listed....where you poll, the questions asked, the organization doing the polling, and of course those who feel the need to screw with the percentage numbers on both sides, the age and gender of those being polled, and a few other things I'm sure I'm forgetting.

Point is.....if you choose to believe everything that's written, then you are either a person very easily swayed by people, or you've led a very secluded life.

No tin foil hat needed here to see what's going on with all of these things corresponding with other events.....like I've said before....I don't believe in coincidences.

:tinfoil::ar15:

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    Personally, I would be hesitant to accept these "results" at face value, considering the University of Chicago did the survey. They interviewed about 2000 people to get their results. If they hit all 50 states, that's about 40 per state. Not a very big sample at all.

But as someone said earlier in this thread, the politicians will take this, show it to their constituents, and say, "Look! Look at these numbers! Polls like DO NOT LIE! This is the truth!" (I can almost hear Cuomo yelling these words while waving his arms wildly about his head).

cook4army

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    Personally, I would be hesitant to accept these "results" at face value, considering the University of Chicago did the survey. They interviewed about 2000 people to get their results. If they hit all 50 states, that's about 40 per state. Not a very big sample at all.

But as someone said earlier in this thread, the politicians will take this, show it to their constituents, and say, "Look! Look at these numbers! Polls like DO NOT LIE! This is the truth!" (I can almost hear Cuomo yelling these words while waving his arms wildly about his head).

All the while screaming "you don't need 30 bullets to kill a deer!!!"

Top Bottom