• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gmviso

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Please don't shoot me because I'm ignorant. (I am trying to learn.)

I am a new firearms owner. Last weekend I purchased a new 92FS from a local store here in Fort Wayne, H&H. Sale went well. My wife and I fired a hundred rounds throught it the following day at their Indoor range. Practice went fine for both of us.

I purchased this because it felt good in my hand and was similar in look and feel (at least to the best of my recollection) to the M1911 I used to fire in the Army 30 years ago.

I am also in the market for a rifle and again, the only rifle I ever fired was in the Army, an M16-A1. So, the AR-15 looks like something that I would be comfortable with firing.

By the way, can you hunt anything with one in Indiana, or is it just for target practice?

It seems there are several ways to go with the AR, namely buying one and buying the components and building your own.

Would like to know what is the best way to go, without spending tons of $$$.

Also, I suspect that since this forum has many people selling them, that it is legal to buy and sell firearms without going through a store, but:
    a) Is it truly legal?
    b) How does one know what a good deal it?
    c) If this is legal, why can't I order a firearm without having it shipped to and processed by a store?

Thanks to any and all who take the time to respond.

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    You'd be off to a good start by reading the FAQ's: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/general_firearms_discussion/16185-ingunowners_faqs_sticky.html

And :welcome: to :ingo:

You can't hunt deer with typical rifle cartridges (.308, .223, etc.), but there are wildcat cartridges out there (.458 BFG and others)

You should check out 21st Century Firearms in Bluffton for an AR.

One more thing, do you have your LTCH? You can't legally transport a handgun without one (there are exceptions, but going to a range is NOT one of them).

gmviso

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    NE Indiana
    You'd be off to a good start by reading the FAQ's: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...discussion/16185-ingunowners_faqs_sticky.html

And :welcome: to :ingo:

You can't hunt deer with typical rifle cartridges (.308, .223, etc.), but there are wildcat cartridges out there (.458 BFG and others)

You should check out 21st Century Firearms in Bluffton for an AR.

One more thing, do you have your LTCH? You can't legally transport a handgun without one (there are exceptions, but going to a range is NOT one of them).

Thanks for your reply. I will definitly read the posting you suggested.

As for my LTCH, yes just got it. Made a new thread about my experience with obtaining the Carry permit. You can read about it here:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...60417-new_carry_permit_received_and_fast.html

sticks4walking

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Nobletucky
    I think that you can hunt deer in Indiana with rifles that take handgun rounds like .357, .44, .45 and the like. And only in gun season. I have not been deer hunting since moving to Indiana so don't take my word for it. I do miss it though so I might have to take it up again. Make sure and check Indiana hunting laws. And just because you cant hunt with it doesnt mean you dont need one! Happy hunting and stay safe.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    If you'll check the sporting goods dept in most Wal Marts they'll have a copy of the Indiana hunting regs for this year in a nice magazine looking handbook. And it's free. It'll tell you what cartridges are legal and which aren't. In general, it has to be a .357 magnum or bigger. Good luck with your rifle. There are lots of ways to get an AR, and yes you can build one from scratch. But the way the prices are coming down, I'd be tempted to stop in to 21st century in Bluffington and check in with Brittain. He's a straight shooter.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Hello!

Please don't shoot me because I'm ignorant. (I am trying to learn.)

No problem bud, that's why were here. Everyone is a newby in the beginning.
    Also, I suspect that since this forum has many people selling them, that it is legal to buy and sell firearms without going through a store, but:

a) Is it truly legal? Yes, private sales between individuals are completely legal in the great state of Indiana provided neither party is a felon or otherwise prohibited from having a gun.

b) How does one know what a good deal it? Ask questions here, research here, google search the firearm you are looking at and review prices.

c) If this is legal, why can't I order a firearm without having it shipped to and processed by a store?
    If you order a firearm via a business (online) they are "dealers" FFL and are government regulated. (have to collect taxes don't you know). That does not apply to private sales on this board however. There are many FFL's on this board who are
    advertising supporters of the sight, I would suggest you check with them
    for any future purchases as well. Since you are a member of INGO they
    might give you an additional discount!

Thanks to any and all who take the time to respond.

:yesway:

Last edited:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    As said above, you can not hunt with calibers such as 5.56, .223, .308 etc. Unless you own so many acres, and have a special lisence. You can only get the lisence, if the deer are getting over populated. However you can hunt coyote with such cailibers. The only rifles you can hunt with are muzzle loaders, and or rilfes chamberd to fire a handgun cartridge. Such as .357, .44, or 45 Long colt. Same goes with hunting with a handgun, which has to be a revolver chamberd in such calibers as mentioned above. Good choice on the 92FS, we carried them in the service and I own one. They are accurate, and reliable weapons.

gmviso

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Is there a technical reason why the state permits only certain ammunition be used in hunting, (ie slug size needed to down prey, range of the slug, etc) or just an arbitrary law?

243rem700

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I am also in the market for a rifle and again, the only rifle I ever fired was in the Army, an M16-A1. So, the AR-15 looks like something that I would be comfortable with firing.

By the way, can you hunt anything with one in Indiana, or is it just for target practice?

You can hunt coyotes with the standard .223/5.56 caliber. You can also get uppers that have larger calibers that are legal for hunting deer in Indiana, like .458 SOCOM.

joshennis84

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 25, 2009
    Bloomington
    You could shoot coyote's with your rifle, and if you know a farmer with deprimation permits and he puts you on his shooter list. You can use it to shoot deer as well.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    As said above, you can not hunt with calibers such as 5.56, .223, .308 etc. Unless you own so many acres, and have a special lisence. You can only get the lisence, if the deer are getting over populated. However you can hunt coyote with such cailibers. The only rifles you can hunt with are muzzle loaders, and or rilfes chamberd to fire a handgun cartridge. Such as .357, .44, or 45 Long colt. Same goes with hunting with a handgun, which has to be a revolver chamberd in such calibers as mentioned above. Good choice on the 92FS, we carried them in the service and I own one. They are accurate, and reliable weapons.

Not quite, for handguns they don't have to be a revolver, and they don't have to shoot "handgun" cartridges. They have to fire a bullet of at least .243 diameter with a minimum case length of 1.16 inches, so you can shoot a handgun chambered in 45-70 if you would like or there was a single shot for sale here not too long ago that was chambered for .458 win mag or the one guy I know who used a tc contender chambered for .270 winchester all are legal to use in IN for deer. Rifles have to fire a bullet of at least .357 diameter with a minimum case length of 1.16 and a maximum of 1.625 inches.

Top Bottom