• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    My wonderfull GF surprised me with a reloading set for my birthday. Im really only having one problem with it so far. She got me a Lee deluxe die set for .223 but it has two dies with decapper's on it, dont really understand that? Also the die that the auto powder loader screws into is the same die that seats the bullets, is there suppose to be something else to screw the powder loader into? Thanks fellas, Im sure this is a easy question for some of you re-loading vets.

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    You sure you got 2 decappers? You should have a decapper, powder thru die, and a seater, and if it's the deluxe i think it should have the FCD, but I might be wrong on this.

Menace67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Noblesville
    The bullet seating die and the powder thru die are not the same die. YouTube is a great tool for visually seeing what your dealing with.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If I remember right, the Lee deluxe set has (3) dies... A full length sizer with decapper, a neck sizer also with a decapper and the seating die. If you want the FCD, you'll have to buy it seperately.

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    Just went out and looked in the shop at my 3 die set.
    It has a decapper, seater and FCD. No powder thru die comes with it.

I went back out again and looked and I had to buy the powder charging die separate from Lee.

Last edited:

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne

You have something else... The OP stated he has the " Deluxe " set... Even with the deluxe, you'd still have to add the FCD. The difference between the deluxe and the their (2) die set is the deluxe comes with both sizers ( neck & full length ), in which each would have a decapper.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne

I went back out again and looked and I had to buy the powder charging die separate from Lee.

Actually what I think you have is Lee's Pacesetter (3) die set. It will have a full length resizer/decapper die, bullet seating die , and FCD.

Lee's deluxe set doesn't have the FCD, but rather comes with the additional sizer ( neck only) and decapper.

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    You have something else... The OP stated he has the " Deluxe " set... Even with the deluxe, you'd still have to add the FCD. The difference between the deluxe and the their (2) die set is the deluxe comes with both sizers ( neck & full length ), in which each would have a decapper.

Danged if your right and I am wrong on this. Of all the people to remind me what I'd bought early last years spring was my wife. She can't remember what she ate for supper last night, but off the wall stuff like this she remembers due to I was having trouble with an AR chambering.
    I bought the 3 die pacesetter. Didn't realize when I'd bought my RCBS set I'd bought an FCD then too. So I got 2 of them.

Had to edit, I realized it was a pacesetter, when I found the paper to it.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Danged if your right and I am wrong on this. Of all the people to remind me what I'd bought early last years spring was my wife. She can't remember what she ate for supper last night, but off the wall stuff like this she remembers due to I was having trouble with an AR chambering.
    I bought the 3 die pacesetter. Didn't realize when I'd bought my RCBS set I'd bought an FCD then too. So I got 2 of them.

Had to edit, I realized it was a pacesetter, when I found the paper to it.

I had to ask when I bought mine a few years ago... With Lee offering at least (3) different sets ( Deluxe, pacesetter, and RGB-2) , I didn't have a clue what I needed. I ended up buying the deluxe set and adding the FCD. I bet this was 5 years ago and they still sit on the shelf never used... :(

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    You guys have to forgive my ignorance what is FCD? My kit is in a yellow box. Thats what I thought about the powder through die having to buy it seperate, anyone know a part number I need or are they all the same?

So which should I use the full length or the neck?

Also what is the main difference between the two other than the obvious?

Thanks again guys greatly appreciated

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Here is a picture of everything I got to kind of get a better idea of what Im working with.

083.jpg

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Without looking you probably have...
    1 full length sizing die
    1 collet die (for neck sixing only)
    1 seating die.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    So do you use full size and neck for different applications? Semi-auto vs bolt action.

I think I may be making this out to be harder than it acually is, lol

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    To gain accuracy in a bolt gun, you can just neck size if the ammo is going right back into that firearm. The Lee Factory Crimp Die in rifle calibers, squeezes from the outside in, with a split collet. Very nice for those evil black rifles.

What you need to do is go to the Lee website and watch the videos there. Read the front part of any manual and then re-read it before you start loading.

THEN, you need to give that girl a kiss for getting you started in handloading. It is the best thing she has done for you and you need to realize it! ;)

Oh, by the way, if it were me, I'd marry that smart young lady! She is a keeper! :D

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    So do you use full size and neck for different applications? Semi-auto vs bolt action.

I think I may be making this out to be harder than it acually is, lol

Lee Precision: Collet Dies

Collet dies (or bushing dies) are usually reserved for bolt action rifles. Use FL sizing dies for semi-auto, pump, or when reliable feeding is more of a concern than utmost accuracy.

Even in a bolt rifle, after a few loadings with the collet die, you may need to run them through the FL sizing die if chambering rounds becomes an issue.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    So i guess I dont need to use the full length die since they have been fired from my rifle before, but should I use FCD since they will be used in my AR?

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    So i guess I dont need to use the full length die since they have been fired from my rifle before, but should I use FCD since they will be used in my AR?

If you are reloading for an AR you need the full length resizing die. If you are reloading for a bolt action then you can get away with neck sizing.

Top Bottom