• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

NolanKeith

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    Technically not a IN gun owner yet...but that is why I signed up for a little help in the decision making of my first hand gun purchase. Looking for a .40 compact/full size. Self defense and pleasure shooting I have a child coming in August and now I have a need to protect my family. Any help, tips, leads on dealers would be greatly appreciated.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    So you are looking for a gun chambered in 40s&w? Lots of choices out there in that chambering.

Some obvious choices would include: Glock, S&W's "M&P" pistols, and Springfield's XD and XDm models. Those will likely be the most common choices you will see at the gun shops but don't limit yourself to the obvious.

For a SMALL gun (more recoil, better suited for concealed carry than for target shooting) take a look at the KAHR pistol brand, the PM40 is about as small as you can get and still hang onto. Springfield's EMP chambered for the 40 is also available.

For high quality in a name that is less common, take a look at the CZ line up. They offer some of their very high quality pistols in the 40s&w chambering and their prices are reasonable. They make full size and compact variations, target and duty versions. Most people think that Glock, S&W, Sig or H&K dominate the law enforcement and military markets, but the CZ75 is actually used by more police and military departments/agencies in the world than any other pistol. Don't overlook that brand just because it is not common here in the US.

Good luck with your search, your best bet is to go to a well stocked gun store (or two, or three) and hold some of the guns. I personally would never own some guns (like the well respected Sig Sauer brand) simply because they don't fit well in my hand. Let your hand help you decide what feels good for you.

NolanKeith

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    Thanks melensdad. I went to POP and Bradis guns today. Pops was alright but bradis gave me the time and had a lot more inventory to look at. I will be purchasing my first gun from this next friday. I was kind of leaning towards the beretta 92 or storm but after seeing the water/mud tests I think I will for with the g23 alittle nervous about the safety mechanism but far more concealable than the berettas. Also got hooked on owning an AR15 today so I will also own one here in the next month. Thanks for the welcome...its good to be here.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom