• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    7 States are looking at creating taxes on guns and ammunition. The Democrats in Washington are looking to do the same. The GOP House is going to try to pass a bill that will try to prevent even state taxes based upon the Commerce Clause.

Link to Video

The Democrats still want your guns and aren't giving up any time soon.

Last edited:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Seems like these politicians crave the taste of political defeat. It's up to the people in these states to get mad enough to vote these idiots out.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    This is just an example that one of the functions of imposing taxes are as a tool used to control. Why do people wonder why there are no serious efforts made concerning tax reform and simplification?

Answer: Taxes=Control.

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Seems like these politicians crave the taste of political defeat. It's up to the people in these states to get mad enough to vote these idiots out.

Agreed. "They" voted these clowns in, let them enjoy the show and quit running to the federal government to fix their screw ups.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    It's an interesting idea but I believe that even if passed, an argument using the SCOTUS decision on Harper v. Virginia State Board of Elections would be a viable option.

In Harper the court held that a poll tax (i.e. the exercise of a right) was in violation of the 14th Amendment's Equal Protection Clause since the tax unfairly limited poll access to those of lower economic status. Similarly a tax on firearms or ammunition could also be argued to be discriminatory in the same way.

But we all know they will try anything, legal or not, to ban guns.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    It's an interesting idea but I believe that even if passed, an argument using the SCOTUS decision on Harper v. Virginia State Board of Elections would be a viable option.

In Harper the court held that a poll tax (i.e. the exercise of a right) was in violation of the 14th Amendment's Equal Protection Clause since the tax unfairly limited poll access to those of lower economic status. Similarly a tax on firearms or ammunition could also be argued to be discriminatory in the same way.

If they want to get really technical, they could argue they can tax ammunition because ammunition is not mentioned in the 2nd amendment, only "arms". I don't see this happening but if it went that far I wouldn't be totally shocked.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

If that were true, then all fees associated with obtaining a LTCH or CCW, sales taxes on ammo and guns, etc. would have been thrown out long ago, no?

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Are the Leftists talking about just hiking the sales tax on FAFA (Firearms, Ammunition, and Firearm Accessories), or are they actually getting ballsy enough to demand an annual excise tax for the privilege of being allowed to maintain possession thereof?

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    If they want to get really technical, they could argue they can tax ammunition because ammunition is not mentioned in the 2nd amendment, only "arms". I don't see this happening but if it went that far I wouldn't be totally shocked.

After my first Appleseed - I would have to say that "ARMS" includes the ammunition - if you haven't been to one; go and learn a bit more about patriots day and what lead up to it; ... and what the interpretation of Arms was then. ...

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    This is why you hear on NPR them subtly mention ammunition as inexpensive and even say ~"often less than a dollar a bullet". They are conditioning non gun people so when they start talking about adding taxes to ammo they will be less than sympathetic when we get vocal about the outrageous prices.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Are the Leftists talking about just hiking the sales tax on FAFA (Firearms, Ammunition, and Firearm Accessories), or are they actually getting ballsy enough to demand an annual excise tax for the privilege of being allowed to maintain possession thereof?

I guess it would be a sales tax as (at least the ones they were talking about) it was a one time additional tax at point sale. I think they mentioned on guns 10-25%. Ammo was all over the place, even a dollar a round. Imagine buying a promo pack of .22 LR at that price.

Top Bottom