Next Handgun Purchase for me and wife??????

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jooky52198

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    So bear with me, I love guns but don't know tons about them. Currently I own a S&W sigma 40, Ruger src9, S&W bodyguard .380. Not super interested in a 45. I want to add another 9mm for my wife that she can have in house for self defense so looking for suggestions for her. Also, I'd like to pick up another gun for me. Suggestions to look for at gun show or to pickup here on INGO? Thanks!

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Trying to build an arsenal? What is wrong with what you already own? I am guessing you don't shoot what you have very much? Perhaps you should.

I know I sound like an ass, just wondering why you value internet opinion when you already own serviceable handguns.

Playing the game, I like the XD9, S&W 5943 and 3913, and the M&P 9c. Also any Glock. And it seems like there is a new 9mm coming out every week.

bucncrazy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 12, 2013
    Plainfield
    Beretta 92fs my wife and 14 year old daughter love it! Me too! Neither have shot allot but both are very accurate with the 92. They rarely like almost never fail. Very easy to operate, really SAFE too:shoot:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Ruger SR9c would make a great HD gun. If you are looking for an excuse to buy more guns then good for you. I would say a Glock 19 or M&P. There is a reason they are popular.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Depends on budget...

But it's hard to beat a G17 or an M&P9 full sized in the "easy shooting polymer frame" category. I don't put the XD in there because I think their recoil characteristics make it less comfortable to shoot - at least for me.

There are also any number of CZ 75 clones + the venerable CZ 75 itself. Hammer fired, though. May be a turn off to some.

Up from that in price are the Sig guns. The 229 and the 226 (bigger than the 229...)

And there are about a thousand other options, too...

-J-

gjclark

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Trying to build an arsenal? What is wrong with what you already own? I am guessing you don't shoot what you have very much? Perhaps you should.

I know I sound like an ass, just wondering why you value internet opinion when you already own serviceable handguns.

Playing the game, I like the XD9, S&W 5943 and 3913, and the M&P 9c. Also any Glock. And it seems like there is a new 9mm coming out every week.
    :+1:

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    So bear with me, I love guns but don't know tons about them. Currently I own a S&W sigma 40, Ruger src9, S&W bodyguard .380. Not super interested in a 45. I want to add another 9mm for my wife that she can have in house for self defense so looking for suggestions for her. Also, I'd like to pick up another gun for me. Suggestions to look for at gun show or to pickup here on INGO? Thanks!
    What features of the guns you have do you like and what do you not like? That will help a lot in trying to offer suggestions.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    If the gun is more for your wife then you then I would take her to the gun store and try some on for size :D. For HD I would look at a full size 9mm maybe go with the Ruger SR9 so it would compliment your SR9c, otherwise anything from Glock, Smith and Wesson, Sig, etc, etc would do you just fine.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Well, noticeably missing from your collection are revolvers...

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    How does your wife feel about the guns you have? We had an SR9C for awhile and I didn't like it. I know a lot of people do. I have small hands, but I'm pretty strong, and I had problems with the slide.
    If you want different flavors, I'd look into a revolver or 1911, but I don't really care for the 9mm 1911s I've shot so far. Any particular reason you don't want a 45 ACP? Are you only interested in handguns?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    My wife didn't like the SR9c either because the slide was to hard to pull back. Out of the medium sized 9mm guns she preferred the M&P, or at least found it to be the most user friendly.

Last edited:

nobek102

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 8, 2012
    My first gun was a s&w sigma 40 and I thought I loved it until I bought a sig p229... I would recommend looking at sig 226 or 229

jooky52198

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    We each have our own handguns. I keep one in each of my cars, she keeps one in her car. We also keep one in drawer safes next to each side of the bed. Its ok, you dont sound like an ass.

jooky52198

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I love my Ruger sr9c because it seems to be most accurate and feels best. The S&W sights leave me less accurate for some reason. But this will be a gun for her, something she can handle. Obviously best will be what feels best in her hand, but Im looking for about 8-10 different guns to have her handle to get an idea. Nice reliable ones that don't have jamming issues like a Hi-Point.

jooky52198

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    No particular reason, just not sure it has a real purpose yet for anything other then fun. The other guns I have serve purposes either for home defense or conceal and carry. And honestly I havent really fired the 45 ACP. But right now building practicality and then later building for fun

Top Bottom