• ...and so much more!
  • Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    I wanted to expand on VUPDBlue's FAQ with my personal experiences as a first-time NFA purchaser. I will use and update this post with my observations and notations as I proceed through the process.

Having had some amount of confusion as to the process when I started, I thought this would provide some additional assistance for the NFA newbie above and beyond the FAQs.

Note that this is not meant to be procedural, but rather anecdotal. This is only what I have experienced. Your experience may vary, and I've made some notes to that effect below.

March 7, 2009: My purchase was a Tactical Innovations TAC65 .22lr suppressor purchased from 21st Century Firearms. I provided only a driver's license, and paid for the item at that time. The dealer provided all paperwork and filled out 95% of it for me which consisted of two Form 4's (Application for Transfer), two blank fingerprint cards, and one Declaration of Citizenship.

I completed the Form 4's with my signature and a small amount of other information and affixed one passport photo to each copy by means of a small piece of cellophane tape along each side of the photo. Under "reason for transfer", I wrote "All Lawful Purposes". I also completed the Declaration of Citizenship (titled Certification of Compliance with 18 U.S.C. 922(g)(5)(B) and shown below), entering my own name in both the "declarer" and "certifier" fields. In other words, certifying myself. I then completed the fingerprint cards with my name, address, physical description, SSN, and employer. In the "reason" field, I wrote "NFA purchase".

My passport photos were obtained from Walgreen's for a nominal fee, although you can take and print your own photos. If you decide to take your own, be sure to print them on photo paper, and be sure the dimensions and composition follow federal guidelines for passport photos.

March 10, 2009: I brought the completed Form 4's and the fingerprint cards to the Noblesville PD. I was fingerprinted and sent home with my cards with instructions not to fold them or get them wet. I was told the ATF would reject them if I did.

There was no fee for the fingerprinting or the local background check that the NPD performed. I don't know if all municipalities have the same procedures. I understand that some will sign while you wait while others make you jump through hoops. NPD's 24-48 hour local background check does not seem unreasonable to me. I never spoke with anyone besides the clerk that did the fingerprinting. She was very friendly and helpful, although I actually fingerprinted myself. All she did was roll the ink and tell me where to print.

Interestingly enough, this is almost the exact same process I went through when applying for my LTCH, for which I was charged $50 by the City of Noblesville. She even used the same internal form for the background check that they use for the LTCH application. I reminded her that I wasn't applying for a license and she told me that they only had the one form type so they have to make a note on it that it's for NFA.

Noblesville PD will take fingerprints and submissions (including for LTCH) at any time during normal business hours (M-F, 8:00-4:30). I understand some PD's have specific days or times, and some require an appointment.

March 11, 2009: I received a call from NPD that the NPD CLEO had signed off and I could pick up my forms, less than 24 hours after submitting. I arrived at 8:30am the previous day for fingerprinting, and was called today at 7:55am to pick up my forms.

I sent my forms paperclipped together along with a personal check for $200 made out to "Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives" to the BATFE in Atlanta, GA (address listed on Form 4) via USPS Priority Mail in a standard flat-rate 12-1/2" X 9-1/2" cardboard Priority Mail envelope. The envelopes are available for free from the post office and sometimes at stores that specialize in shipping (like the UPS Store). Postage was about five bucks. I also opted to pay the 65 cents for a delivery confirmation receipt because it was only 65 cents and then I could watch, via the intarwebs, my envelope's whirlwind world tour. Also note that my checkbook is the "Parker Bros. Board Game" series. The BATFE got a Monopoly check, which I found amusing on several levels.

March 12, 2009: USPS reports that envelope left Indianapolis processing facility:
    See? Wasn't that thrilling? All that excitement for only 65 cents! A bargain at twice the price!

March 14, 2009: Paperwork arrived at ATF Atlanta office. It dawned on me today that after months of saving my pennies and pining over a shiny thing I don't really need, that all the paperwork is done and all the fees are paid. My part is finally finished. I don't expect to update this again for several months, except possibly with a date the check was cashed.

March 18, 2009: BATFE cashed my check

s-event.png

Will update as more info is available.

FOOTNOTES:

Certification of Compliance with 18 U.S.C. 922(g)(5)(B)
    aka "Declaration of Citizenship Form"
    img0103.jpg

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Sad to say, but in a truly free nation, this would be a one-stepper, i.e. "Went to the corner hardware today and bought a suppressor/uzi/M16/etc."

Oh well....we can dream :):shoot:

-XL-

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    The sad thing about this thread is we'll be waiting till Christmas to see the outcome...

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    good deal! Ill be watching this thread.

One question: did you ever give consideration to setting up a trust for NFA purchases? if so why did you choose not to have one? Im still debating.

I've never looked into NFA purchases, but am interested in why one would setup a trust and how that works.

excellent post by the way! looking forward to hearing how it works out. (but since it was a silencer you bought... ;))

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I've never looked into NFA purchases, but am interested in why one would setup a trust and how that works.

A trust allows you to have joint ownership of an item with multiple people. The benefit is that if you die, you don't have to transfer the item to your beneficiary which would incur another tax stamp and three month wait.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio

excellent post by the way! looking forward to hearing how it works out. (but since it was a silencer you bought... ;))

A trust allows you to have joint ownership of an item with multiple people. The benefit is that if you die, you don't have to transfer the item to your beneficiary which would incur another tax stamp and three month wait.

It also eliminates the CLEO signature and the fingerprints.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Why NOT setup a trust then? Is it just the cost and trouble of the legal forms?

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I opted not to due to the additional expense and paperwork. The suppressor is only a $250 item. To add another $60-$90 for software or $400-$600 for a trust lawyer to draw up the paperwork exceeded my budget. If NFA becomes a habit for me, I'll end up doing it.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I opted not to due to the additional expense and paperwork. The suppressor is only a $250 item. To add another $60-$90 for software or $400-$600 for a trust lawyer to draw up the paperwork exceeded my budget. If NFA becomes a habit for me, I'll end up doing it.

:laugh::laugh: you said "if" like it was a possibility that it would not be come a habit!:laugh::laugh:

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I assume that with a trust you would still have to endure the wait while ATF processes paperwork for each additional item, correct? Having done a little research since I first read this post, it looks like people use LLCs and other corporate entities to do similar things. very interesting... :patriot:maybe I'll have to start looking for my first class 3 item soon.:patriot:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I assume that with a trust you would still have to endure the wait while ATF processes paperwork for each additional item, correct? Having done a little research since I first read this post, it looks like people use LLCs and other corporate entities to do similar things. very interesting... :patriot:maybe I'll have to start looking for my first class 3 item soon.:patriot:

Correct. For this purpose, the trust behaves like a corporation. Members of the trust share joint ownership of the item, but since a trust has no fingerprints, it can't be fingerprinted. The item still needs to be transferred as per usual. Obviously, there are other rules that the ATF has regarding trusts, but they should be discussed in detail outside of this thread.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I wnet pending on my Gemtech OBII on 4-9-09 and was approved 5-14-09, so you should be close! I went pending the same day on my AC556 and AM STILL PENDING!!! talk about going buggy! I was told by a buddy that with something that's not new, they have to physically check the records on it, so it can take longer, but four weeks!?!

Doug K

whitewolf68

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Toledo
    Loved the post. I always wanted a suppressor and a few full autos for collection and of course firing fun. Don't think I will ever see it happen though living in Toledo. This community is so anti-gun it stinks all the way to the Indiana line. WE do not have ANY, none that I know of, gun shops in the Toledo city limits because of the crazy ass mayor.

Hopefully someday we'll come out of the muck and wipe the crap from our eyes. This does give me some hope though.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    My Form 1 went pending on 5/1. I called today to get an update before I left on vacation. The guy who answered the phone said it was still pending, and that the examiner had not yet completed their review. I asked how long that typically takes, and he told me "we have been advised by management not to engage in speculation." He then asked that I "continue to be patient" since "this is a lengthy process." No way, really? :n00b:

Sigh.

Woo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    New Castle
    Awesome thread!! It really give perspective and information to noobs of NFA like me. I always thought it would take an act of God to get a suppressor but after reading an article in American Handgunner about Full Auto guns and reading this about suppressor it has my wheels turning!! Thanks Scutter!!

Top Bottom