• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    If you go the AOW route definitely go with the above suggestion of finding a SOT manufacturer to build it and F4 to you.

A small tid-bit of info just occurred to me that may be helpful if you have an SOT build an AOW for you. It's not very widely known so I wanted to put it out there. If you own the Title I firearm (normal rifle etc) and have an SOT build it into a Title II firearm it can be F4 transferred directly back to you even if the SOT is out of state. Very few people know about that.

IE, If you buy an out of state NFA weapon you have to have it F3'd to your in-state dealer than he will charge a transfer fee and F4 it to you. This adds to your time and cost. If you owned the Title I firearm and had it in your position before having it built into an AOW you can skip the in-state transfer; the out-of-state SOT can F4 it directly to you.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Now, from what I've read, either stamp SBR or AOW is $200, but it costs $5 to transfer an AOW.

I would SBR it, rather than AOW since it's a $200 stamp either way via Form 1. The only exception is if you can find someone with an FFL SOT 2 to build it, then transfer it to you via $5 Form 4.

I apologize for posting incorrect info. Obviously I mixed up the form 1 vs form 4 thingy.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    ...shall not be infringed

No need for apologies. I honestly believe the ATF has made the entire NFA process intentionally archaic and confusing in hopes to discourage the hobby.

+1 The confusion on NFA items and the hassle of transporting NFA items state to state are reasons I have avoided NFA items until now. Isn't it amazing how it's perfectly ok that the NFA infringes on that which otherwise shall not be infringed? :dunno:

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    +1 The confusion on NFA items and the hassle of transporting NFA items state to state are reasons I have avoided NFA items until now. Isn't it amazing how it's perfectly ok that the NFA infringes on that which otherwise shall not be infringed? :dunno:

21st Amendment was passed in December 1933. Government needed to put its Treasury goons to work, thus the National Firearm Acts of June 1934. Apparently the founding fathers were talking about hunting rather than government tyranny when they wrote the Bill of Rights :laugh:.

Top Bottom