• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • n9znd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have been wanting to get a Smith 686 or Model 66 for a while. You always here about the other lines being pretty crappy guns (taurus Etc.). Well I picked up a Rossi M971 .357 in a trade. I was very hessitant at first until I felt the grip and the trigger. I thought WOW the grip is awesome and the trigger was very smooth and I hate to say it but about as good as I have felt on any stock Smith. The Rear sight was plastic and was broken. It wasn't real clean but did not look like it had been shot much. It had a 3/4 Compensator sticking out the front that I was not sure about. First I shot the gun to see if it worked okay before I did anything else. Pretty impressive so far and even with half a sight seemed pretty accurate. I asked on INGO if the Comp should go and the answer was yes from everyone.
    So I custom fit S&W rear sight, cut off the compensator and cleaned it real good. Had some trouble with the cylinder hanging up a little and found out that that air gap from Cylinder to forcing cone was none. I stoned the Cylinder to open the gap on two holes that where touching and now seems perfect.
    The moral of the story: There are some pretty nice guns out there that can be had a pretty good deal. Some may need a little lov'in and a little work but if you are handy it can be done. Would I love to have a super tricked out Smith- Heck ya. But right now I am not willing to go out and drop 6 Bills on one when I think I got a pretty sweet little Revolver and really do not have the itch to get anything else right now. Jim
    M971W.jpg

Rossic1.jpg

rossic2.jpg

rossic3.jpg

rossic4.jpg

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Congrats! :yesway: Looks good. I have had good experiences with Rossi revolvers. I have also never had a problem with my Taurus revolver either. Glad you are happy with it and hope it works out well for you.

voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    There's nothing wrong with that. I like S&W also but they aren't the end all be all of revolvers. Back in '04 I picked up a Charter Arms snubbie at a pawn shop for $150 that looked brand new. I have since gotten rid of my G26 and the snubbie is my edc and I love it. Nice looking shooter!

n9znd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    Jeremiah,

I did get it at Four Guns- Great guys over there.

Alot of the "cheaper" guns lack the finishing process. The finishing process is what drives the cost up alot. You have to get a good one in the first place and then work it over from there. I like mine alot and I guess I must be a revolver guy because they give me the most thrill, Auto loaders do not seem to do that. I collect NAA minis. They are fine little revolvers and fun to mess with. Jim

Last edited:

Ineverfollow

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Madison County
    I found a picture of her! I bought this gun to carry wile deer hunting. One day one will walk out in front of me within range and it's getting the .357 or I may put a second shot on if I need a second shot. I hunt with a muzzle loader. I am also going to qualify with it Saturday as a back up gun at the PD.

192018_105044369577446_100002156500518_46312_7112190_o.jpg

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Ithink you did good. I'm a big fan of the S&W models 19, 686 and 66. I also liked the red ramp front sight in your pictures.

n9znd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    I think I did also. I got alot less than $300 in it. It would take alot more than that to get it. The Grip makes it one of the softer shooters with mags in it. Jim

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Okay, I'll play!
    Smith & Wesson M25 -7 45 Colt
    pix818558947.jpg

Smith & Wesson M60 -13 38Spl
    Leftside.jpg

Smith & Wesson M586 -4 357Mag (Wife's target gun!)
    100_3308.jpg

Smith & Wesson M586 -5 (My target gun! Son had it and it got stolen from him about a year ago!)
    Moms586leftside.jpg

Smith & Wesson M586 Nickel
    ok3.jpg

Thanks for posting a thread dedicated to these fine shooters! Revolvers LIVE! (Even though it is a semi-auto world!) :D

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    There's nothing wrong with that. I like S&W also but they aren't the end all be all of revolvers.

:eek:You, sir, have made my "list." Where's the neg rep when you need it:D

Jeremiah,

I did get it at Four Guns- Great guys over there.

Does this purchase make them "Three Guns" now:joke:

OK, enough with the jokes. Great deal on the Rossi! They are Smith clones, and they do them well. I've only been around a couple of them, but they were all smooth, accurate shooters.:yesway:

turn n shoot

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Rossi made some pretty good guns. I personally think that Rossi & Taurus are pretty much of the samer quality. I have heard that Rossi did have some problems from time to time with QC, but if there is a problem any good S&W Gunsmith should be able to fit parts for it.

Congrats on your new shooter. Hope you enjoy it!

Tom

shooter718

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Nice revolver Jim. This is Jordan Taylor. I've got a nice little 66. We should go shooting sometime. I'd like to try that out. Looks nice

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Except for my Gen 2 Glock 23...all my handguns are revolvers! Can't go wrong with them! I know very few quality semi-auto shooters...but I know several quality revolver shooter's! Most of the semi-auto shooter's that I know just shoot quantity / volume!

Top Bottom