Not far from the tree
    Reactions: Leo

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Jim Kiritsis, Tony's brother had a fuel delivery business out toward Trevlac and delivered gas and diesel to the farm when I was a kid.
    I remember. My dad knew him, or at least met him. The brother, not sure about Tony.

he may have delivered to our house as well, we had an oil furnace until the late 60s I think.

Reactions: Leo

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I remember watching it unfold on live tv! Many years later when I was a student doing clinicals at Central State I saw him there. He was sorta like a celebrity there. I think he ran around Speedway area when he was released, but my memory is getting pretty foggy anymore.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I remember watching it unfold on live tv! Many years later when I was a student doing clinicals at Central State I saw him there. He was sorta like a celebrity there. I think he ran around Speedway area when he was released, but my memory is getting pretty foggy anymore.
    My dad had a lot of dealings with Tony. Dad worked for the Marion County Health department and for awhile Tony refused to let DPW in to the trailer park he owned to pick up trash. When Tony was going to court after the hostage incident, Dad happened to be on the same elevator with him and Tony reached up and tapped him on the shoulder and said hello.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Don’t know when he was released but a bunch of us (construction workers) saw him in his cell at the Isaac Ray wing at Logansport State hospital while we were renovating it some years back. They kept him pretty well locked down. That was the max security wing for the nut bags at the time.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    There's a documentary with the same name out about the incident. One of the men I worked with for over a decade was a young patrolman at the time and is seen throughout the film. A very interesting incident, I've heard a couple of stories from officers who were there over the years.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    My dad had a lot of dealings with Tony. Dad worked for the Marion County Health department and for awhile Tony refused to let DPW in to the trailer park he owned to pick up trash. When Tony was going to court after the hostage incident, Dad happened to be on the same elevator with him and Tony reached up and tapped him on the shoulder and said hello.
    That's something........my dad was pretty good friends with Tony as well. He use to hang out in Avon and play checkers with all the guys at Dick Norths Barber shop. I met a lot of characters at that barber shop.....my dad would go hang out there a lot and I was always with my dad. My dad use to talk about how smart Tony was.......guess he was a pretty sharp fellow, he just didn't like getting jacked around. To this day.....I figure that guy very well might have deserved to have that gun strapped around his neck.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    There was a pretty good podcast/play, with Jon Hamm, I remember the incident, forgot it was in Indiana, Don't know who was right, or wrong, but taping a shotgun to someones head still seems kinda wrong....

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    There was a pretty good podcast/play, with Jon Hamm, I remember the incident, forgot it was in Indiana, Don't know who was right, or wrong, but taping a shotgun to someones head still seems kinda wrong....
    Yeah, I agree really. I probably shouldn't have said that, especially since I am a tad biased and have never even read the trial transcripts (if they exist). Regardless of who was right and who was wrong......Tony was wrong for doing that. I imagine in hindsight, Halls wish they would have worked with Tony and Tony wishes he would have been more reasonable...but hindsight is always 20/20. In the end, it really destroyed all their lives. Richard was changed after that, lost his wife and family, lost his business and from all accounts was never the same mentally. And Tony sat in jail, lost the land and never really recovered anything from it either...he died a broken "crazy" guy.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I don’t think anybody ever found any actual evidence of the mortgage company playing unfairly with Tony, and it appears they did in fact, work with him for awhile, refinancing and so forth.

I wonder what that piece of land is today?

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I don’t think anybody ever found any actual evidence of the mortgage company playing unfairly with Tony, and it appears they did in fact, work with him for awhile, refinancing and so forth.

I wonder what that piece of land is today?
    I think it is a strip mall with Payless Liquor store, gas station and 8 Seconds Saloon, credit union......and a closed Marsh Supermarket that was partially used by Brothers Wholesale (may still be there).

I always found it suspicious that Tony claimed in his tirade that he had a buyer for the land and even mentioned "Marsh", who we now know was probably Don Marsh.....and he claimed that the Halls were trying to keep Marsh from buying the land. Tony's claim was the Halls were trying to get people to avoid buying the property and waiting until they foreclosed, so they could sell the property to Marsh and cut Tony out of deal and profit. Well, sure enough, after this all happened Marsh ended up developing it and building a store. I think Tony had the vision and plan, he just didn't have the money and connections to pull it off by himself. They had every right to foreclose on his land....but they also should have been morally bound as his real estate broker to try to land him a buyer and not push potential buyers away....take their % and be happy. I personally think they seen him as a stupid blue collar guy who they could easily bully.......but that is just my opinion without any facts to back that up. I have always read the Halls were fine, respected and upstanding men, but money can make people do weird things......even to this day!

Now proving they did that I could understand would be hard to prove.....in the 70's, maybe easier today to do that. I mean, Tony owed $130K and it assessed at like $400-500K, so the motive was present whether the proof was or not. It would be interesting to know what that property actually sold to Marsh for and when it sold to Marsh.....but I can't seem to find it on any searches. You figure back then, Tony was probably paying 15-18% interest on that loan, maybe even more. So the payment had to be a big one.......to a working man.

Reactions: Mij

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    I think it is a strip mall with Payless Liquor store, gas station and 8 Seconds Saloon, credit union......and a closed Marsh Supermarket that was partially used by Brothers Wholesale (may still be there).

I always found it suspicious that Tony claimed in his tirade that he had a buyer for the land and even mentioned "Marsh", who we now know was probably Don Marsh.....and he claimed that the Halls were trying to keep Marsh from buying the land. Tony's claim was the Halls were trying to get people to avoid buying the property and waiting until they foreclosed, so they could sell the property to Marsh and cut Tony out of deal and profit. Well, sure enough, after this all happened Marsh ended up developing it and building a store. I think Tony had the vision and plan, he just didn't have the money and connections to pull it off by himself. They had every right to foreclose on his land....but they also should have been morally bound as his real estate broker to try to land him a buyer and not push potential buyers away....take their % and be happy. I personally think they seen him as a stupid blue collar guy who they could easily bully.......but that is just my opinion without any facts to back that up. I have always read the Halls were fine, respected and upstanding men, but money can make people do weird things......even to this day!

Now proving they did that I could understand would be hard to prove.....in the 70's, maybe easier today to do that. I mean, Tony owed $130K and it assessed at like $400-500K, so the motive was present whether the proof was or not. It would be interesting to know what that property actually sold to Marsh for and when it sold to Marsh.....but I can't seem to find it on any searches. You figure back then, Tony was probably paying 15-18% interest on that loan, maybe even more. So the payment had to be a big one.......to a working man.
    Remember watching this whole thing go down as a kid, had no idea that my bowling alley (Lynhurst Bowl, now 8 Sec) was part of the property in dispute. Used to go to that Marsh and the next door Hooks with my grandfather all the time growing up, too. Grew up about 2 minutes away.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Remember watching this whole thing go down as a kid, had no idea that my bowling alley (Lynhurst Bowl, now 8 Sec) was part of the property in dispute. Used to go to that Marsh and the next door Hooks with my grandfather all the time growing up, too. Grew up about 2 minutes away.
    So was the bowling alley there before the Marsh? You happen to remember about what year the Marsh was built?

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    So was the bowling alley there before the Marsh? You happen to remember about what year the Marsh was built?
    Marsh was at that location as long as I can remember, and I was born in '66. Used to be one of the old fashioned looking ones (believe it had the Marsh Foodliner moniker in my earliest years, if I recall correctly), then was upgraded with the triangular look mid-late 80's, I believe. Lived with my grandparents just off Lynhurst and would go with him to the store then the United gas station in front of there to get Ethyl and cigarettes afterward when I was really little.

Lynhurst Bowl was the exact same building that 8 Second Saloon is in now. Bowled there up until I graduated high school and afterwards it closed and became "A Little Bit of Texas", precusor to 8 Second.

Top Bottom