• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • causerofwait

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    I have a CZ P-01 that I carry but it is also my bedside gun when its not on me. I can't afford both and was looking for opinions on whether to invest in some good night sites or a TLR2/CT Grips laser/flashlight type thingy? I know the TLR/CT's are all over $200; I don't know how much night sites run. If I bought the TLR setup it would more than likely never leave my nightstand so I guess that is something too consider. I guess I have 2 p-01's (1 for my wife and 1 for me) and may enjoy being able to transfer from one to the other.

Thoughts/suggestions appreciated!

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Night sights and a cheap flashlight.... if you batteries fail on anything the night sites will still allow for shot placement
    night sites are typically around 100 bucks.... surefire 60 bucks... still cheaper than the laser light combo

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Night sights and a weaponlight (only, no laser) is how I roll; you ought to be able to get both for less than the price of a light/laser combo. That said, even a weaponlight and standard sights would be preferable to the light/laser deal, IMO.

Biohazard

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    central indiana
    2 different purposes

One thing to keep in mind is that night sights (or laser) serve a different purpose than a white light.

The light allows for target identification.

The tritium or laser is to assist shot placement after you have identified your target.

If it is a home defense gun and you have other people in the house (as well as general principle) I would place a higher value on target identification. Not to mention that if you have a white light, that will help with sight alignment, which leads to better shot placement.

The other perk is that a weapon mounted light will alllow you to keep one hand free to call 911, or whatever else you need to do.

Bottom line is that I would suggest a white light (TLR if you like that or a surefire X300) as the priority.

:twocents:

ETA:
    One other thing to keep in mind with the laser is that
    it will not overcome trigger control issues if they exist.
    In other words if you have problems with groups during
    range conditions then a laser will not fix that problem.
    I'm not saying that you do or that you do not have any
    problems, just a general statement.

Last edited:

causerofwait

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Good info, thanks!
    Wow, the x300 is EXPENSIVE!?! I wonder what makes it much different than the TLR-3 (~$75).
    Anyway, you were right about being able to get night sites and a weapon light for cheaper than the light/laser combo or even the CT grips.
    It looks like I could get the Meprolight ML-17777 (cz compact) for about $75 and the TLR-3 (compact version of the TLR-1) for about the same. I could probably afford to get meprolight's on both our guns and 1 TLR-3 that could be used on both for under $250.

On a funny note, my friend got me one of those baseball hats with the 2 little led lights on the front and a switch under the bill that I have in my night stand right now. It really lights up the room and is almost blinding if you look right at them, and it's handsfree! I will probably focus on the night sites first and use the hat till I get my weapon light.

Thanks again!

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Good info, thanks!
    Wow, the x300 is EXPENSIVE!?! I wonder what makes it much different than the TLR-3 (~$75).
    Anyway, you were right about being able to get night sites and a weapon light for cheaper than the light/laser combo or even the CT grips.
    It looks like I could get the Meprolight ML-17777 (cz compact) for about $75 and the TLR-3 (compact version of the TLR-1) for about the same. I could probably afford to get meprolight's on both our guns and 1 TLR-3 that could be used on both for under $250.

On a funny note, my friend got me one of those baseball hats with the 2 little led lights on the front and a switch under the bill that I have in my night stand right now. It really lights up the room and is almost blinding if you look right at them, and it's handsfree! I will probably focus on the night sites first and use the hat till I get my weapon light.

Thanks again!

very good choice

causerofwait

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Ouch, I just called ghostholster, a CZ custom shop and they told me that the good night sites will run me almost $250 installed and that even if I find the meprolight for the p-01 that it would take a custom install and would run over $150. Said something about requiring a groove or a pin that isn't standard on my p-01 and it would have to be machined to work? For both my pistols that makes it $300-$500, just for night sites. hmmm.... Just when I thought I had it all figured out.

Biohazard

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    central indiana
    Good info, thanks!
    Wow, the x300 is EXPENSIVE!?! I wonder what makes it much different than the TLR-3 (~$75). .......................

Why is a BMW more expensive than a Yugo?

The same analogy can be applied to most things when price is questioned. Most things, but not an absolute across the board rule.

I'm not knocking TLRs, nor am I knocking Yugos. They are just different animals that fill different voids.

Culpepper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Indiana
    Good info, thanks!

Highlighted red are the reason the Surefire cost more.

TLR-3®

COMPACT RAIL MOUNTED TACTICAL LIGHT

• C4 LED delivers 4,100 candela peak beam intensity; 90 lumens. 2-3 times brighter than high-flux LEDs.
    • Parabolic reflector produces a concentrated beam with optimum peripheral illumination.
    • Optimized electronics provide regulated intensity.
    • Runs 1.5 continuous hrs. to the 10% output level
    • Weighs 2.32 ounces (65.8 grams) with included battery
    • Length – 2.71 in. (6.88 cm); Width – 1.18 in. (3.00 cm); Height – 1.51 in. (3.84 cm)
    • Includes 5 interchangeable keys to fit a wide variety of weapons
    • Rail clamp designed to rapidly attach/detach from side of weapon. One handed snap-on and tighten interface keeps hands away from muzzle when attaching/detaching
    • Ambidextrous momentary/steady On-Off switch
    • Body constructed of impact resistant Engineering polymer
    • Face cap constructed of 6000 series machined aircraft aluminum with anodized finish
    • Borofloat high temperature glass lens
    • Waterproof to 1 meter for 30 minutes. IPX7 rated
    • Operating temperature: -40°F to +120°F.