• 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Thanks for the info.

My first experience with NV was in 73. Shortly after we stole the technology from the Russians when their tanks rolled into Prague in 68. We had Gen 1, 5 lb. rifle mounted scopes that my night vision rivaled for clarity. It was so grainy that you could hardly make out the difference between a target and a tree.

Before I got out in 82 we had Gen 4 goggles add I drove a Jeep up and down fire breaks as fast as I could safely. I walked up on a feeder field with about 150 deer, I got almost close enough to a doe and fer fawn to touch them. When I snapped a twig she alerted and studied her surroundings for a moment before she went back to feeding.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I have an ANPVS4 that cost a little less than that when I bought it, no idea what they sell for now. It works well within it's range, but I don't get it out much.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I have an ANPVS4 that cost a little less than that when I bought it, no idea what they sell for now. It works well within it's range, but I don't get it out much.

I guess i shouldnt be so quick to judge as this is the important question.

What is your intended range? As long as you dont expect it to work at longer ranges the above unit would be ok.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Here in the woods my longest shot even in daylight is 100 yards. The only time I've used it was hunting in a small clearing from a tree stand shooting coyotes over deer scraps. Range was 50 yards at longest.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Here in the woods my longest shot even in daylight is 100 yards. The only time I've used it was hunting in a small clearing from a tree stand shooting coyotes over deer scraps. Range was 50 yards at longest.

My post was confusing, i ment to ask the OP.

I quoted your post because you brought up "within your range"

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Thanks for the info.

My first experience with NV was in 73. Shortly after we stole the technology from the Russians when their tanks rolled into Prague in 68. We had Gen 1, 5 lb. rifle mounted scopes that my night vision rivaled for clarity. It was so grainy that you could hardly make out the difference between a target and a tree.

Before I got out in 82 we had Gen 4 goggles add I drove a Jeep up and down fire breaks as fast as I could safely. I walked up on a feeder field with about 150 deer, I got almost close enough to a doe and fer fawn to touch them. When I snapped a twig she alerted and studied her surroundings for a moment before she went back to feeding.

Gen 4 doesn't technically "exist" according to Army standards. When thin-film and filmless technology first came out it was mistakenly referred to as Gen 4, but it's nothing but a modified Gen 3 with less reliability. That being said, "Gen 4" can mean many things, there are currently Gen 3 tubes that work like the "Gen 4" of which you may be speaking but carry the reliability of the Gen 3. And some have begun calling digital technologies (the likes of large, hyper-sensitive imagers that digitize the image) Gen 4, but the Army doesn't recognize any of them yet...

https://www.nightvision4less.com/showlibrary.aspx?libraryid=9&sename=night-vision-generations

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I love my Gen 3 PVS-14 that Alan sold me last year but those are a bit higher than you want to spend. I have what they say is a pair of Gen 1+ digitally enhanced pair of Binoculars that work well enough for my spotting needs and for just checking things out at night, bought them at Gander Mountain ten or so years ago.

OP, what is the usage you have and what range of shot will you take with it? These are important to be able to help you make your selection. I will also say that Alan won't steer you wrong. He told me he isn't up on NV stuff but he can get what you are wanting usually. He won't tell you one thing and sell you something else either, he has been very helpful to me for my optics need.b:yesway:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I do not purport to be an expert on NV That is what the armorer told me when I signed them out.

Top Bottom