• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Shouldn't you be equally surprised that guns have rear sights at all, then? Why is proper sight alignment a good idea during the day but a novelty at night?

How do you propose to find the front sight in the dark, especially against a target wearing dark clothes?

Training for a defensive shot (not target shooting) I don't waste time lining up my sights. I wouldn't need a set of rear sights unless I was shooting someone across the street I guess.

Again... I'm not saying there is no value in them. I just can't see the value from normal applications. If I'm clearing my house at night... I can't see how those 3 glowing dots are going to make a dick of difference. I have a set on my CZ (not my home defense gun)... maybe I should get them out and see what all the buzz is about.

For low-light target shooting, I guess it makes sense if you are shooting at greater than 10yds... for CQC, in the middle of the night... I guess I'm just not seeing it.

Although grabbing it off the night stand... I can definitely see the value in that.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Shouldn't you be equally surprised that guns have rear sights at all, then? Why is proper sight alignment a good idea during the day but a novelty at night?

How do you propose to find the front sight in the dark, especially against a target wearing dark clothes?

How do you expect to find a target wearing black clothes in the dark? :dunno: How will even know the target is wearing black clothes in the dark?

45acp223

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    SE IN.
    Some folks say a mounted light is a better option than night sights, but if you can swing both, you would have the best of both worlds.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Some folks say a mounted light is a better option than night sights, but if you can swing both, you would have the best of both worlds.

Mounted light means whatever you want illuminate you also have to point your gun at.

I can't speak to the low light training as I have not taken any as yet, but I don't like the idea of pointing my gun at something to identify it. I think I would rather do some training with a separate light and gun and manipulating that over a weapon mounted light, but that is my uneducated opinion on the topic.

Also for the other part of the conversation, you can get night sights with different colors, etc from back to front in case the concern is properly aligning the 3 dots in the dark.

James Bond 007

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    I'm surprised night sights are so popular... they seem almost like a novelty to me. Who is going to spend time lining up 3 little glow in the dark sights? It would seem like better training to just practice throwing the front sight post on the target and pulling the trigger?

Maybe I'm way off :dunno:
    I have wondered this myself, Lucky... oops, just read the series follow up posts. My bad.

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Thank you very much to everyone for your feedback. I appreciate you taking the time to post.

I have wondered this myself, Lucky...

I used to think the same as you, until I realized how bad my night vision really is. When my life depends on it, one second might make the difference between life and death. I agree that the front sight will probably be all I will need...but that's dependent on me being able to even see the front sight quickly enough. One way or the other, night sights sort of take that gamble away (at least for me). YMMV and that is your own prerogative.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I put Trijicon on ever one of my daily carry pistols. Never really had any expierence with Meprolight. My HK USP had 10 year old Trijicons on it and they still glowed 60%. My Glock 21 gen4 has a brand new set of Trijicons on it. They light up my night stand.

Top Bottom