• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    How do you mount the Nikon IRT scope onto the AR-15 style rifle with the Pica rail? I got a Nikon IRT and like to use it on the M&P15T when I want to shoot long range. Any idea?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I have the Bushnell version of that same scope (Bushnell, Burris and Nikon are all the same scope, same manufacturer but different knobs, etc. . . I like the customizable knob included with Bushnell's version better than the stock one that come with Nikon). The scope has an integrated mount so no additional mounting hardware is needed. Just clamp it on and tighten it up. Having the customizable knob allows you to modify your knob to the bullet drop of your specific ballistics. Mine is mounted on an Alexander Arms 6.5 Grendel rifle with a Timney trigger.

1-long-range.jpg

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    With that scope, do I need to use a riser to make it higher like a high mount?

by the looks of his picture that is pretty low... while it may work for him i suspect being that low is far from universal for everyone.... i would have to see it first hand but i very rarely mount ANYTHING on at ar with low mounts... medium typically does it and sometimes need to go high if its an oversized scope...

not much help here but thought i would share anyways

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    Reason I asked because when I went shooting today, all my shots were too low. I had a riser on it and maybe that's the cause. So, I now just mount the scope onto the top rail without the riser, let's see how it goes next time I go shooting with it. I got a 458 socom upper for my DMPS AR, can't wait to see how that goes.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Reason I asked because when I went shooting today, all my shots were too low. I had a riser on it and maybe that's the cause. So, I now just mount the scope onto the top rail without the riser, let's see how it goes next time I go shooting with it. I got a 458 socom upper for my DMPS AR, can't wait to see how that goes.

did you try adjusting the scope?

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    Turned the knob button to the top and still low. I read somewhere in the American Hunter magazine talking about AR style rifles for hunting. One of the tips was use a High Mount to mount scope. That's why I got the pica riser. But it's not working with the IRT very well.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    Sorry to raise this dead horse up, but today I finally zero the scope at 50 yards with 10 shots under 2 inches group. INDYGUNWORK, you're right, without the riser it can zero without problem. Next step will be zero it at 100 yards, that's the furthest lane they have there. But my scope has BDC on it, so 200, 300 is not a problem.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    INDYGUNWORK, you're right,

:rockwoot:

But my scope has BDC on it, so 200, 300 is not a problem.

not entirely true... more often than not the bdc will NOT line up with your actual bullet drop... you will still need to shoot those distances and verify point of impact and record the differances... this way you know if your target is at 300 yards you will need to go to the 300 yard mark on your turret, + 5 clicks (just an example)

Top Bottom