• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I've always been a fan of Nikon scopes an was thinking of this model for an upcoming bolt gun in 308 I'll be picking up. Just wondering if anyone currently has one or has used one an your thoughts an impressions on it. Thanks fellas...

tjh88

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 4, 2013
    Vallonia
    I don't know about the M308 but I have the M224 in 3x12x42 Nikoplex and couldn't ask for anything better. I hit the range finder, dial the yardage and hit. Very consistant. I've only shot out to 350 but have shot multiple yardage from 50 to the 350 and it works. I know it's not really a direct answer but hope it gives you some additional Nikon insight.

Tim

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I'm not a fan of it. Lousy internal adjustment, so bad it comes with a 20moa base. But, if you use the BDC as designed I guess you don't need the internal travel.

Not a huge fan of Nikon's exposed turrets either. Glass seemed okay though.

Different people, different scopes

ETA

Never owned one, just looked through them and have fingered them

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Yeah not a huge nikon fan. Not a gun friendly business but they make money...thats on the politics side of things.

The scope will have okay glass but in general they dont track worth anything. Not to mention 40moa internal travel is a freaking JOKE.

What is your price range?

bman940

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    N. Tx
    First off let me tell you that I have been doing freelance PR/Shooting Event's for Nikon for almost 5 years now. This does not make me biased,believe me, I don't do sales and I'm not going to recommend something to you that won't work for your application. Will Nikon's M-308 BDC 600 scope work on your bolt action rifle, Absolutely. Does it need the 20 MOA mount because it has "lousy internals" ? Absolutely not ture. This scope does have 40 MOA of internal adjustment which is enough to get a 150 gr. bullet out to 700 yards. Do you really think this scope would be such a big seller if it didn't track? I have no idea the orgin of some of those comments but I can assure you this scope WILL serve your Bolt action rifle well. I have put 1000's of rounds under these these scope's at multiple shooting event's and I have never had one problem. We have used Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Program to shoot 4 inch jars of tannerite at 600 yards which provides quite an explosive impact. I have the M-308 scope on 2 of my own bolt action deer rifles, including one I loan to my 79 year old Father In-Law for KS deer hunting. The last 2 years he has gone 7 bullets and 7 deer with his longest shot 303 yards. The M-308 is built with Nikon's MONARCH glass and glass coating's, it's not going to be in their premier line without having the best of what they have to offer. If you do decide on this scope, make sure you support this site's sponsors if at all possible. Also, at the end of the day this scope is back by Nikon's No Fault Warranty as well.
    My misreading of spec. sheet showing 60MOA, my error, sory.
    Here's 2 of my 3 personal M-308's

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/bman940/M-308/dave2rifles.png

Last edited:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I mean I'm not totally dead set on a Nikon for it. I've just used them in the past an have been very nice for the price I've paid, best being their eye relief. Id consider a Vortex or other brands I just want something nice for this rifle and don't want to completely cheap out on it. I would like to keep my price under the $600 mark, I think I should be able to get something with good magnification, exposed turrets and decent glass for that money.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I mean I'm not totally dead set on a Nikon for it. I've just used them in the past an have been very nice for the price I've paid, best being their eye relief. Id consider a Vortex or other brands I just want something nice for this rifle and don't want to completely cheap out on it. I would like to keep my price under the $600 mark, I think I should be able to get something with good magnification, exposed turrets and decent glass for that money.

Id take a HARD look at this. In all my years of optics sales its been the absolute best deal Ive ever had. Its a 4-16x50, FFP, and 600 bucks.
    Vortex Optics - Viper HS LR 4-16x50 FFP XLR (MOA)

And for price comparison, here it is on Amazon for 250 bucks MORE

http://www.amazon.com/Vortex-4-16x5...=1428351748&sr=8-1&keywords=Vortex+Viper+HSLR

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    Id take a HARD look at this. In all my years of optics sales its been the absolute best deal Ive ever had. Its a 4-16x50, FFP, and 600 bucks.
    Vortex Optics - Viper HS LR 4-16x50 FFP XLR (MOA)

sgreen, Ive got this exact scope on the rifle you sold me last year. (Savage 10 FCP HS Precision). I bought it from Alan as a demo for $750, and that was a good deal. $600 is a steal for this scope. I'm tempted to get another one for my .223.

I'd prefer 1/4 MOA adjustments, but honestly it hasn't limited me in any way yet. Unless you're sitting benchrest or F-Class, it's a great setup.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana

I've had good luck with Nikons when I could zero them and leave the turrets alone, but less luck when I dialed regularly. The glass has generally been bright during hunting hours, but my Nikons seem to fog up more than some of the other brands I have and aren't as great at night as I would expect from their daytime performance. The BDC circles they use do absolutely nothing for me, though.

I think part of the question is how you intend to use the rifle. Are you shooting for small groups at long distances or just looking for hunting accuracy. If hunting, what type: short-range brush work, night-time pest/predator hunts, mountain hunts, hunting over corn fields, etc.

For anything but short-range or real low-light work, I think the FFP Viper HS LR Alan mentioned is likely to be a "best-buy" option. If you are looking at moving targets inside 60-80 yds or are trying to squeeze the last possible light out of hunting times, you might want to look at the reticle yourself to see how it works for you.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    sgreen, Ive got this exact scope on the rifle you sold me last year. (Savage 10 FCP HS Precision). I bought it from Alan as a demo for $750, and that was a good deal. $600 is a steal for this scope. I'm tempted to get another one for my .223.

I'd prefer 1/4 MOA adjustments, but honestly it hasn't limited me in any way yet. Unless you're sitting benchrest or F-Class, it's a great setup.

Very nice, how you liking that rifle by the way :D. Yea the more I think about it Id like to get one of the 6-24 HS-T. But either of those models Im gonna have to find one locally to look through first I just cant see myself spending that kind of money and not look through it first before I buy.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I've had good luck with Nikons when I could zero them and leave the turrets alone, but less luck when I dialed regularly. The glass has generally been bright during hunting hours, but my Nikons seem to fog up more than some of the other brands I have and aren't as great at night as I would expect from their daytime performance. The BDC circles they use do absolutely nothing for me, though.

I think part of the question is how you intend to use the rifle. Are you shooting for small groups at long distances or just looking for hunting accuracy. If hunting, what type: short-range brush work, night-time pest/predator hunts, mountain hunts, hunting over corn fields, etc.

For anything but short-range or real low-light work, I think the FFP Viper HS LR Alan mentioned is likely to be a "best-buy" option. If you are looking at moving targets inside 60-80 yds or are trying to squeeze the last possible light out of hunting times, you might want to look at the reticle yourself to see how it works for you.

The scope is going to be maily used for some bench shooting as well as for tactical bolt action matches.

fullauto 45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Dec 27, 2008
    SE Indy
    I bought one a couple years ago for my RRA 308 AR. Once it was set in at 100 yards, it was dead on at 250 and 300. If I can hit a walnut size target at 250 yards, I'm happy. I also did a 300 yard head shot on a nice 10 point buck. I like it.

Top Bottom