• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I am planning on getting a precision rifle, either the T/C LRR, or the Savage Axis II Precision. Trying to come up with a good scope. I have a Nikon Prostaff 5 4.5-18x40 on another rifle, and would like something similar. My favorite LGS recommends Athlon scopes. I found a duplicate Nikon on Amazon. I do not want mil dots or BDC reticles, just a plain line x style. AO or side focus is highly desirable. In the $500 or so price range, if possible.

Thanks in advance for all advice.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Define precision.
    rounds on target, reallyreallyreally close together, starting at 100yds and going farther.

Define good.
    better than so-so, not quite excellent. More than $100, less than $1000.

I want to shoot .243win in single hole groups at the max range possible. Normally I will be shooting from 100 to 300 yards. I have a .22lr set up in a precision chassis, that almost makes one hole groups at 100 yds, with the right ammo. Now I want to do better. I already have .243win rifles, so I want to stay with what I have. Not interested in any of the latest and greatest rounds.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I highly recommend athlon scopes. I’m a vortex fan boy, and shoot mostly them. However, in running my eBay store, I’ve had a lot of glass come through. The two brands that blew me away on quality of glass in price point were athlon and swfa. I was utterly shocked to be honest.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    90   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Shame about Nikon. I've always liked their stuff. One of my favorite scopes I've ever had is a Nikon, the M-308. For a scope costing less than $400, it's a good buy. I've moved it to 4 different rifles so far. I was about ready to move it again (it's on my 7mm Mauser now) when I decided to just buy another.

I ordered one from Euro Optics. Oddly enough they are two different models of the same scope. My old one has a 1" tube, the one I just ordered has a 30mm tube. It's the M-Tactical .308 4-16x42SF Matte BDC800. Anyway, having the 30mm tube means I'll need new rings for the other rifle, but it should be worth it. Being just a normal grunt (not a sniper) I'm a big fan of the BDC reticle.

What's more, It goes with Nikon's "Spot on" app you can put on your phone. You can use this same scope with different loads, and it will tell you what the ranges are for the BDC. You can even choose different calibers, then go down the list to pick out your ammo. This new M-308 will be going on a .243 Remington 700.

If you're interested, Euro Optics shows them still in stock, and Natchez has the 1" tube version for a few bucks less.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    You could look at refurbished Vortex scopes. AA Optics has a selection of them, and you can get some really good savings on them
    https://aaoptics.com/Riflescopes-_c_115.html

Started out years ago as a gold ring snob but now Vortex is all I run, all the way out to 1,000 yds.

And speaking of 1,000 yards, if Alan (owner of AA Optics) was here he would tell you the measure of a good scope is how well it tracks. A good scope is one that you can shoot the gun, change the elevation 10 clicks in any direction and go back the same amount and hit the same hole on the next shot.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Shame about Nikon. I've always liked their stuff. One of my favorite scopes I've ever had is a Nikon, the M-308. For a scope costing less than $400, it's a good buy. I've moved it to 4 different rifles so far. I was about ready to move it again (it's on my 7mm Mauser now) when I decided to just buy another.

I ordered one from Euro Optics. Oddly enough they are two different models of the same scope. My old one has a 1" tube, the one I just ordered has a 30mm tube. It's the M-Tactical .308 4-16x42SF Matte BDC800. Anyway, having the 30mm tube means I'll need new rings for the other rifle, but it should be worth it. Being just a normal grunt (not a sniper) I'm a big fan of the BDC reticle.

What's more, It goes with Nikon's "Spot on" app you can put on your phone. You can use this same scope with different loads, and it will tell you what the ranges are for the BDC. You can even choose different calibers, then go down the list to pick out your ammo. This new M-308 will be going on a .243 Remington 700.

If you're interested, Euro Optics shows them still in stock, and Natchez has the 1" tube version for a few bucks less.

I have a Nikon Prostaff 5 on my Savage FV-SR in a second-hand rifle chassis (can't recall the brand), and I have the Spot-On app on my phone for it, and two other .22lr rifles with Nikon scopes. I am wavering between a Leupold VX-Freedom 6-18x40, or getting another Nikon Prostaff 5 even tho they aren't supported anymore.

Thanks to all who commented here.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    OP has a $1k budget and wants to shoot for precision. The only answer should be: buy something that was made at LOW or Hakko Japan or by Meopta.

Right now, that is: Brownells MPO, Tract Torric, Bushnell LRTS or DMR, Sig Tango6, Swfa SS HD, Meopta Optika6, Trijicon Accupower/Credo/TenMile, or Weaver Tactical.

Find a deal and reticle you like out of any of those lines. Buy it. Be happy. Any of those are awesome scopes and the only options you should really be looking at for a $1k precision rifle scope.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    OP wants to shoot one hole groups from 100 to 300 yds with off the rack Axis or T/C? using some kinda ammo on .243 cause his Nikon performs that task@100?

where to begin?
    Nikon was never best price/value..
    so no big loss. Look to buy used or
    use the one on your .22

those two rifles are probably not one-holers. You may get 1/2 minute if you get matched up ammo. but not without reloading & testing.

leupold vari-X 3 3.5X10 50mm used will run $500 or so & their scopes are the most clear of any I have.

BTW what you plan on shootin with that .243? paper? game? big-game?

cause big-game don't require one-holers. just good 4X or 1.75X6 that's light-weight unless you want to carry a shootin bench afield.
    what about that range-finder & wind speed guage?
    .243 bucks the wind well but trajectory for one'holin takes some guessing..

good luck.
    I just think you are dreamin but that's OK. most of the fun is the hard work tryin to get that one-holer...

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    I forgot to ask...

how many shots do you take to get that one-holer?

cause when I prep for a hunt I shoot one shot per day over maybe five days @ same target. that gives me a clear picture of how my rifle shoots "cold" for hunting.

if just shootin paper three shots probably won't "heat" the barrel too much in 5 to 10 min. period.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    also forgot to ask hiw you plan to clean & season the barrel on that .243?

that will really throw off those one-hole plans a bunch......

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Not trying to thread jack, but I'm in a very similar predicament as the OP. Has anyone used a Riton Scope? They're running some very nice sales on them right now on optics planet. I'm talking like 30% off on some of them and from the reviews I've seen they seem well received.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/riton-riflescopes.html

Remember a lot of these Chinese rebranders buy reviews by offering free swag to people who share posts, write reviews, etc... I've had a few in my hands but never felt compelled to buy one. Meat and potatoe reviews are hard to find. Sniper central is the only source I trust for optic reviews anymore.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    Not trying to thread jack, but I'm in a very similar predicament as the OP. Has anyone used a Riton Scope? They're running some very nice sales on them right now on optics planet. I'm talking like 30% off on some of them and from the reviews I've seen they seem well received.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/riton-riflescopes.html

not to sound confused.......
    but "the scope" .......
    does not make the rifle any more accurate......

In fact, used to be a quality scope always costs more than the rifle I was putting it on.

But I learned that I could buy an excellent rifle in many different calibers & transfer one or two quality Leupold scopes as needed.
    Also learned over time that "very clear" cheap scopes by Tasco worked well if I did not expect to use it the Artic or Desert and I just realized that big-game rifles do very well with fixed 4X glass. or low-power variables.
    My favorite scope on a rifle is 1.75X6 Leupold. and a Leupold M8 2X on my S&W 657.

Top Bottom