• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    for ages i've been fascinated with these guns, 'right arm of the free world indeed.' my fascination with them is only matched by the M14.

but I rarely see any for sale. is there a reason for that, or are people just hording them?

i've not had much chance to shop for them because of it, are there brands to avoid or is FN the only way to go?

GustavHalbach

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2010
    DSA makes a quite nice FAL also. Believe they are located in Barrington IL. Only ones I've ever heard of to avoid is some of the Century and Enterprise builds. Others may know of more to leave alone.

-G

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    DSA makes a quite nice FAL also. Believe they are located in Barrington IL. Only ones I've ever heard of to avoid is some of the Century and Enterprise builds. Others may know of more to leave alone.

-G

i was on the notify list on a DSA. got an email today, hence this thread. was gone by the time i got home. whats a good price for one?

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Mine is a Century FrankenFAL. Took some tweeking to make it run effectively. Then I cropped the barrel down to 17 inches and put an effective flash hider on after seeing the fireball it tossed. Swapped out the lower receiver for an aluminum one and put a lightweight top cover with a rail for my Aimpoint. I use aluminum magazines and it is well under 9 lbs now where it was over 11. Not a lightweight carbine but handles a lot better than it used to for me.

It is my "go to" MBR should the need ever arise. Got plenty of late 90's Lake City to feed it, about 20 magazines (half are lightweight aluminum) and some spare parts. I have toyed with the idea of trading it for a good AK and lots of ammo but I like the punch of .308 compared to .223 or 7.62x39.

Light

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Near Fort Wayne
    Mine is a Century FrankenFAL. Took some tweeking to make it run effectively. Then I cropped the barrel down to 17 inches and put an effective flash hider on after seeing the fireball it tossed. Swapped out the lower receiver for an aluminum one and put a lightweight top cover with a rail for my Aimpoint. I use aluminum magazines and it is well under 9 lbs now where it was over 11. Not a lightweight carbine but handles a lot better than it used to for me.

It is my "go to" MBR should the need ever arise. Got plenty of late 90's Lake City to feed it, about 20 magazines (half are lightweight aluminum) and some spare parts. I have toyed with the idea of trading it for a good AK and lots of ammo but I like the punch of .308 compared to .223 or 7.62x39.

I'm with you. I have an AK 7.62x39 and if it came to SHTF I think 308 would be a better option, but I can't give up the AK. Might move towards a 308 Saiga at some point.

GustavHalbach

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2010
    i was on the notify list on a DSA. got an email today, hence this thread. was gone by the time i got home. whats a good price for one?

Haven't checked prices lately but, with the current craziness in the black rifle market, I would wait a while for prices to come down. I"m sure they're greatly inflated now.

I've had my DSA Para FAL for about 5 years now...think I paid like $1,500 - $1,700 at the time. Bought it at Shooters Supply & Law Enforcement in Louisville.

My real Belgian FN heavy barrel FAL was around $4k when I bought it a couple of years ago.

FAL's are usually not cheap....but I really like them.

G

hfdcowboy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I have a DSA that i bought about 2 years ago. I like it, no feeding problems, i need to spend some more time behind it. I have seen prices all over the board not sure what a good price is especially right now.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Haven't checked prices lately but, with the current craziness in the black rifle market, I would wait a while for prices to come down. I"m sure they're greatly inflated now.

I've had my DSA Para FAL for about 5 years now...think I paid like $1,500 - $1,700 at the time. Bought it at Shooters Supply & Law Enforcement in Louisville.

My real Belgian FN heavy barrel FAL was around $4k when I bought it a couple of years ago.

G

Saw a DSA (I think) the other day at LGS with optic and Bi-pod. Silly pricing...$2500

Folks are a bit whack with greed right now.

swissrifles1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Near South Bend
    STG-58 Austrian, matching kit built on a Coonan receiver. Shoots like a dream . I see Fals for sale on Gunboards.com and ar15.com frequently. If you can get one? do so, well worth it.

MyFal002.jpg

MyFal005.jpg

Tomfoolery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Auburn IN
    FALFiles.com is a veritable encyclopedia of information. In fact any of the "Files" sites are great.

akfiles, falfiles, arfiles, uzifiles, hkfiles,... lots to learn. I love FALs. If the ammo wasn't so damn expensive I would've been a FAL guy from the get go instead of an AK guy. FALs are rad guns. From my limited experience with FALs (and I mean limited) another sign of quality is if it is on an Imbel receiver. They are supposedly very highly rated. If you're serious about getting into one of these do not overlook a kit build either. Research the builder because you might be passing on a very very fine rifle.

FALs are awesome if you've got the pockets deep enough to run them with regularity.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Shot a fairly new Belgian 50.00 many moons ago. And an Argie of same type a couple of years back.
    Shot a short para waaaaaaaaaay back but can't remember anything about it 'cept that I did not like the stock or the hinge system.

Last edited:

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    I have a STG 58, Austrian parts kit, built on Imbel receiver, that I restored back to the original configuration, and it is without a doubt my favorite rifle. I think they are very desirable rifles and people that have them hang on to them.

Dave

gska3873

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Northeast Indiana
    Be careful because they are addictive. Once you get one FAL you will want some spare parts for it and then that will turn into another FAL and will just keep going and going and going!!!

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else

G
    I thought that $600 was a lot when I bought my brand new Belgian 50.41. Of course that was more than a couple of years ago.:D

0750turbo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 23, 2012
    Pittsboro
    for ages i've been fascinated with these guns, 'right arm of the free world indeed.' my fascination with them is only matched by the M14.

but I rarely see any for sale. is there a reason for that, or are people just hording them?

i've not had much chance to shop for them because of it, are there brands to avoid or is FN the only way to go?

Of all of the military rifles in my safe, I love the FN's and am always seeking to add more to my collection.

Top Bottom