No firearms signs carry weight of law in Indiana?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    You missed my point. "you are never allowed here" is MUCH different than "you are allowed to be here except..." each will get a different response from LEOs. (Hey buddy, you know you arent allowed to be here! vs did you know you cant be here with that?) That is my point.

And see post 14.

Both responses can happen.

Nope, I didn't miss your point. It can be put as "You are never allowed entry unless you are not in possession of firearms".

I saw post 14, just because it can go both ways, doesn't mean it doesn't have force of law. Most officers won't pull you over for 3 mph over the limit, that doesn't mean that the sign that says Speed Limit 35 MPH doesn't have force of law until you hit 39 mph.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    My question is asking if the law speaks to this or if it is silent. What I am gathering thus far is that it is silent on the issue. I'm originally from Michigan, but I moved to Tennessee, then Kentucky, now across the Ohio to Indiana. Basically I'm just trying to keep up with the law. There are quite a lot of No Firearms sign in Louisville, KY it seems. So I am coming from that context.

No firearms signs (or no concealed deadly weapons signs for Kentucky) are the same in Kentucky as in Indiana. So go about how you would normally. I guess your are thinking of KRS237.110 (17) where it specifically states that ignoring no firearms signs carries no criminal penalty, but you can be trespassed from the property. Indiana doesn't have that specific language in the IC (at least that I am aware of).

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Nope, I didn't miss your point. It can be put as "You are never allowed entry unless you are not in possession of firearms".

I saw post 14, just because it can go both ways, doesn't mean it doesn't have force of law. Most officers won't pull you over for 3 mph over the limit, that doesn't mean that the sign that says Speed Limit 35 MPH doesn't have force of law until you hit 39 mph.

fine. You win. I'll make sure I have Guy Relford on speed dial and retainer before I ignore a no guns sign again.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    fine. You win. I'll make sure I have Guy Relford on speed dial and retainer before I ignore a no guns sign again.
    Last I looked, I don't think Guy does criminal defense but that might have changed. Plus, you probably want to be more worried about having bail lined up on a misdemeanor arrest.

Very few to none of the signs I've seen in Indiana satisfy the criminal trespass statute, but if properly worded it appears to me that they certainly could.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

It's not about winning. And it's not just a "no guns" sign, or the gun buster pistol with a slash through it. And Guy Relford is the one who brought this up in one of his scenarios on here. Here is the thread.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry-issues-self-defense/58317-you-going-jail.html

Last I looked, I don't think Guy does criminal defense but that might have changed. Plus, you probably want to be more worried about having bail lined up on a misdemeanor arrest.

Very few to none of the signs I've seen in Indiana satisfy the criminal trespass statute, but if properly worded it appears to me that they certainly could.

I haven't seen any, except maybe Chuck E Cheese. It says something along the lines of "Firearms are prohibited, except for on duty law enforcement personnel, anyone else in possession of a firearm will be treated as a trespasser". Which while IANAL wouldn't quite meet the criteria.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Friends, Gentlemen, Brothers in Arms - :buddies::buddies::buddies:

My only point in bringing up the possible "cuffed and stuffed" scenario was not to start WWII 1/2, but rather to make certain that all the well meaning and good intentioned answers the OP received did not lead him into a possible (though extremely unlikely) situation where he believed he could NEVER be arrested for violating a no firearms sign in Indiana.

Kind Regards,

Doug

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Friends, Gentlemen, Brothers in Arms - :buddies::buddies::buddies:

My only point in bringing up the possible "cuffed and stuffed" scenario was not to start WWII 1/2, but rather to make certain that all the well meaning and good intentioned answers the OP received did not lead him into a possible (though extremely unlikely) situation where he believed he could NEVER be arrested for violating a no firearms sign in Indiana.

Kind Regards,

Doug

No worries. And no warfare from my side. That is my intention in posting also. And if you hadn't brought it up, I would have.

Top Bottom