(No shots fired) Handgun makes an uneasy situation a little easier.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rexford

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    United States
    So to put things into perspective my first post on this site was to sign up for the monthly shoot (I'm gonna try again this go around but its a maybe) and obviously this thread makes a near second and more or less will serve as my introduction to the site proper.

Firstly, hi there! My name is Paul and this story tells the rather interesting tale of my welcome to the great state of Indiana and "Slum" living. I live in a little house with my fiance and I walked into the backyard that fateful day to watch the dog goof about, chat up the neighbors, normal every day stuff. We were (Still are) moving into the house and were interested in talking with our new neighbors and such though we met someone that wasn't as friendly as I'd like.

My SO had noticed the poor guy walking up and down the dirt road behind our house picking up trash, it was still in the morning hours and he looked cold (this happened around February so that winter wasn't quite done yet) she had the intuition to see he was homeless and because he was being nice and picking up garbage she ran inside to make him a little breakfast sandwich and a small cup of coffee.

At the time I was quietly telling her this was a bad idea.

He was VERY happy to get something to eat and the rest of our talk was simple enough, he asked about when we'd moved in and other questions I didn't like at all though I didn't exactly veto many of them (him asking for her phone number being one of them) and for the rest of that day all was quiet. I set off the next morning to run an errand with my phone though it died mid trip.

I arrived back home to find my fiance opening the door with my XD in hand (still in its holster) with her eyes wide as plates. Around this time it was about noon the next day and the first words out of her mouth went to the tune of "He came back" among other things most of which were lost in a panicked tone of voice. After a few moments to calm down she was able to tell me she'd gone out for a smoke to find the waif sitting on our bench in the back yard! She'd jumped back inside of course and locked the door and for the last twenty minutes he'd been knocking on the door in turns.

I took the weapon from her, hooked it up to my jeans, told her everything was going to be fine and took a peek outside. My eyes brought to me the picture of the guy sitting on our bench passed out cold from the looks of his breathing and his occasional snoring. I walked out and had a seat across from him (we have two benches) and spoke up a bit to see if he'd wake up, he did so and I had a little conversation with him. I wasn't able to tell if he was drunk or high as a kite with the way he was rambling but at least he wasn't belligerent. I informed him he'd scared my fiance (she has a history of being assaulted) and that he was trespassing on my property and that if he could please leave so I wouldn't have to call the cops.

We shook hands and he left never to be seen again though he wasn't the brightest bulb at least he had good sense enough to take a hint.

All of that to say, where might one explore if they were interested in getting at the political pulse of Indianapolis proper? I've grown tired of not being active and I'd love it if someone just pointed me in the right direction!

I've been lurking this forum for maybe a month or so now, been enjoying what I read so far!

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    1st - Not sure I'd have played it the same, but certainly glad everything worked itself out.

2nd - Welcome! Plenty of friendly folks around here & a couple of A*****es, but you're gonna figure that out... LoL

3rd - I'm not from the Indy area, but someone else will be along to help get you started.

Rexford

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    United States
    To answer your points within the order presented.

1st It was broad daylight outside and I dare say if he'd been trying to force his way inside (as opposed to just knocking now and again) I don't think the fiance would have hesitated to shoot (though finding her with the thing still strapped into its holster was kind of funny looking back. I also had my LCTH at that time as otherwise I probably wouldn't have gone out to talk with the guy at all.

2nd Thank you! I got a few warm welcomes as well before though it was a shame the turn out for the shoot was so low (NRA that weekend)

3rd I'll be attempting the shoot again in a week or two, should be plenty of people to meet and greet this go around.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    You don't meed a LTCH to walk in your own yard, just so you know.

It is probably for the best that you didn't approach him in a big, bad macho way. Seems all worked out fine for now. Good for you!

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I also had my LCTH at that time as otherwise I probably wouldn't have gone out to talk with the guy at all.
    So you're doing things with your LTCH that you wouldn't normally do without it...that is a dangerous way of thinking.

BTW, no need to have an LTCH to carry on your own property.

You should've had your handgun on you while you're out and about, what is the purpose of an LTCH for you if you aren't armed??

Why doesn't your wife have access to another firearm at home?

Rexford

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    United States
    So you're doing things with your LTCH that you wouldn't normally do without it...that is a dangerous way of thinking.

BTW, no need to have an LTCH to carry on your own property.

You should've had your handgun on you while you're out and about, what is the purpose of an LTCH for you if you aren't armed??

Why doesn't your wife have access to another firearm at home?

Firstly, the Springfield XD I own is a tactical version with a 5 inch barrel, it doesn't conceal all that well and frankly I kind of expected he might show up again to cause trouble so I wanted my fiance to have it instead of myself, the only other weapon we had in the house (at that time) was my AR-15 and I don't think that would have worked so well for a 'talk it out' kind of situation.

Secondly, no I don't have the mentality that my LTCH is so important that I'd need it to talk to a homeless guy while carrying a .45 caliber of handgun but it was REALLY nice to have coming from California where my right to carry had been shoved for so long. Another reason I didn't have the gun on me is that I can't conceal that .45 as easily as I can conceal my new 9MM XDs. Otherwise she had access to just about every firearm in the house at the time, its just that the .45 was the only one we had for her to grab.

I was aware I didn't need my LTCH to carry on my own property, I just mentioned it in case I got flak for not having one yet I guess. >.>;

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    Sounds to me like you and your fiancé handled things very well. Nothing wrong with trying to be kind, this time it may have led to a frightening situation but hopefully that does not deter her in the future. You handled yourself in a cool, calm manner which can be hard to do when you see a loved one scared like that.
    The only suggestion I would make is teach her how to shoot, there are ranges all over the place. Maybe a good self defense class, there are several instructors on here that will give an INGO discount.
    Congrats on getting out of commiefornia, welcome to Indiana.

Rexford

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    United States
    Sounds to me like you and your fiancé handled things very well. Nothing wrong with trying to be kind, this time it may have led to a frightening situation but hopefully that does not deter her in the future. You handled yourself in a cool, calm manner which can be hard to do when you see a loved one scared like that.
    The only suggestion I would make is teach her how to shoot, there are ranges all over the place. Maybe a good self defense class, there are several instructors on here that will give an INGO discount.
    Congrats on getting out of commiefornia, welcome to Indiana.

I've taken her shooting back in Cali (A shocker I know but indoor ranges DO exist there for handguns) as I've owned that XD for about 3 years now (a bit shorter then my entire Air Force Career) she's comfortable with the weapon, just wasn't comfortable with the idea of having to use it on such short notice. She quite enjoys being at the range though which is just one more reason I love her.

Obviously I didn't own my AR back then so my recent journey out to Winamac was my first chance to brush up on my training from Basic so long ago, felt good to land shots from standing iron sights again! I fully intend to get the both of us more range time and a LCTH of her own just as soon as she gets started on the paperwork.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    No need to conceal when you're in Indiana, you can open carry with the LTCH

You handled the situation well IMO

Rexford

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    United States
    No need to conceal when you're in Indiana, you can open carry with the LTCH

You handled the situation well IMO

This is true, but as I posted in the "Where I OC'ed today thread" I don't quite have the nerve to OC here in Indianapolis, lots of people here and I could only imagine how quickly things could go badly...that fear might only be in my head though. I promise I'm trying to work up the nerve.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    This is true, but as I posted in the "Where I OC'ed today thread" I don't quite have the nerve to OC here in Indianapolis, lots of people here and I could only imagine how quickly things could go badly...that fear might only be in my head though. I promise I'm trying to work up the nerve.

Dont sweat it. Trust me. Most people arent aware enough of their surroundings to even notice you. I see OCers all the time, I OC quite often, and never have had or seen a serious issue. VERY seldom a stare, and on VERY rare occasions a nervous clerk. It's common enough around here that unless you are acting shady/weird, you arent going to have a bunch of police surrounding you and giving you a hard time. And if you see a cop, if he notices you will most likely give you a smile and a nod.

A common thing is called the walmart walk. Strap on OC and wander around WalMart for a little while. Lots of people around and you will quickly notice that VERY few people notice you. I'm sure there will even be a few of us willing to volunteer to wander with you for a bit of support.

Lowes and Menards are also places I see alot of folks OCing where nobody bats an eye.

Relax. Indiana is VERY VERY gun friendly. Guns in public are no big deal here.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Growing up in an area that had a lot of them, I can comfortably say, don't feed the homeless.

The best thing you can do is point them in the direction of a shelter, if they didn't already know, and ask them not to stick around, in as nice a way as possible.

It's been my experience that they will get ahold of anything that isn't bolted down and try to make a buck. Feeding them just encourages them to come back.

Sorry if I sound like an....well don't wanna say that word :P

I have a pair of them carry off a 60' aluminum extention ladder in broad day light, never to be seen again.:xmad:

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Only thing(s) I would have done differently, #1, I wouldnt feed the homeless in my back yard. #2, I would have called the police when he was taking a nap in your back yard. Maybe he is harmless, maybe not. If he decided to come back, and things did turn ugly, at least there would be a record that you have already asked him to vacate your premises.

Its sad that its come to this, but showing compassion in todays world to those that we think need it most many times is seen as a sign of weakness and vulnerability by those we would hope to help.

Rexford

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    United States
    Well, to be honest the "don't feed the homeless at your own home" was a lesson I was already aware of by my fiance has such an awesome personality she thought it would be okay 'just this once' so yeah, lesson learned. She lamented after the fact that she didn't appreciate how he'd repay kindness with acting crazy like that.

Calling the police was in the list of things I was going to do, in fact we live just down the road from a mounted station (yes, horses) for the police and a firehouse on the other end of the street (we can see it clearly from our front porch) and if I do ever see him again I won't hesitate to just call the police and not even attempt to talk with him. Was he harmless? I don't know, I wasn't about to take any chances without being armed but do keep in mind it was broad daylight outside and our neighbor likes to keep an eye on things just the same way I like to.

Nobody got hurt, nothing was stolen, and at the end of the day me and my fiance had a little refresher on what happens when you give a mouse a cookie.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    You mean there is a good neighborhood in Indy? I am sure to be biased, I live in the sticks, and all but one of my 5 closest neighbors are relatives, so comparatively its not too bad. The worst thing we have to deal with (normally) around here is the occasional drunk from the local camp ground deciding our driveway it a good place to stop and light up a joint. Keeping a clear line of communication open with the county deputies that work the area seem to have kept those issues curbed to a minimum though, lol.

Rexford

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    United States
    My address has maybe...4-5 registered sex offenders within a 4 mile radius? One of which has a current warrant out for his arrest? Yeah, awesome part of town but I'm getting used to it.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    My address has maybe...4-5 registered sex offenders within a 4 mile radius? One of which has a current warrant out for his arrest? Yeah, awesome part of town but I'm getting used to it.

The last time I looked, it would be difficult to draw a 4-mile-radius circle from any point in Marion county without covering at least a handful of sex offenders. Just a fact of life. It's the ones who aren't on the registry that I would worry about.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Welcome to INGO and Indiana Rexford. Glad the OP scenario played out alright.

As others have said - OC is not 'too unusual' here; but carry 1st and foremost; and OC when you're comfortable.
    There are areas and places you might be smarter not to OC; but that's a whole separate debate around here.
    ( FTR: I CC/OC as I feel situation and my willingness to have a discussion vary)

As to your 3rd point up above about getting involved - Not sure what you mean exactly.
    INGO has quite a few members that are politically vocal and active (indiana's legislative session is over, but elections are coming up.)

Here's another group to check:
    While we're not ONLY on Facebook, our FB page is the easiest way to find: Indiana Moms Against Gun Control
    We're a pretty good bunch, trying to educate and empower people with real info, facts and help push legislation to restore our rights.
    we aren't just moms; but with the anti's trying to claim all moms support, we're making sure that it is clear
    that many mom's support the 2nd, and the rights protected by it.

Top Bottom