• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Madine85

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    So today at work I was discussing my upcoming wedding and honeymoon with my boss. I mentioned we are going on a cruise and leaving from New York City. He asked if we were going to spend any time sight seeing in New York. I said "No, we have both been there so we aren't really interested." But inside my head I was screaming. "Ah heck no! That city has too much crime and I can't carry a gun there!"

Just thought you all would appreciate that. Blueeagle is laughing and mumbling something about "Bringing her over to the dark side..." :starwars:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    So today at work I was discussing my upcoming wedding and honeymoon with my boss. I mentioned we are going on a cruise and leaving from New York City. He asked if we were going to spend any time sight seeing in New York. I said "No, we have both been there so we aren't really interested." But inside my head I was screaming. "Ah heck no! That city has too much crime and I can't carry a gun there!"

Just thought you all would appreciate that. Blueeagle is laughing and mumbling something about "Bringing her over to the dark side..." :starwars:

Catching the boat on the Hudson River? You are right next to the Intrepid Museum...REALLY neat aircraft carrier. Might take a look. There are some neighborhoods in the surrounding boroughs that are rough but crime isn't bad. My wife is from Jersey City, her parents are from Brooklyn and Hell's Kitchen. We go there quite often to visit and even at night we are quite free from crime.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I grew up in Brooklyn, and survived. Of course that was a long time ago, but...

If you are leaving from a Manhattan pier, you are not too far from the Empire State Building and a trip up to the observation deck is worth the time and money.

You will probably pass the Statue of Liberty, but taking a launch out to it again is worth it. Madam Green is what this country is all about, though unfortunately lately forgotten.

There is the World Trade Center, with the memorial and the other buildings being the center of trade in the US.

If you dare, I don't know if they still have tours, but the United Nation building is worth seeing, if for no other reason that it was built in the hope for world peace, but that unfortunately forgotten.

Rockefeller Center with the surrounding shops and news media is a worthwhile visit.

A Broadway play if you have the time and desire.

There is a ton to see in NYC, and most in a very safe area.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I grew up in Brooklyn, and survived. Of course that was a long time ago, but...

If you are leaving from a Manhattan pier, you are not too far from the Empire State Building and a trip up to the observation deck is worth the time and money.

You will probably pass the Statue of Liberty, but taking a launch out to it again is worth it. Madam Green is what this country is all about, though unfortunately lately forgotten.

There is the World Trade Center, with the memorial and the other buildings being the center of trade in the US.

If you dare, I don't know if they still have tours, but the United Nation building is worth seeing, if for no other reason that it was built in the hope for world peace, but that unfortunately forgotten.

Rockefeller Center with the surrounding shops and news media is a worthwhile visit.

A Broadway play if you have the time and desire.

There is a ton to see in NYC, and most in a very safe area.

You may even get in and out without getting shot by NYPD!

GlockWielder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Well crime is actually down in certain parts of NY. As for carrying your gun, that's still not allowed :( :( :( ... I go to Louisville rather than Cincinnati just because I can carry there. Can't wait for national reciprocity to pass!!!!

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    He asked if we were going to spend any time sight seeing in New York. I said "No, we have both been there so we aren't really interested." But inside my head I was screaming. "Ah heck no! That city has too much crime and I can't carry a gun there!"

Being a fan of rural outdoor type places and not so much crowds, I thought I wouldn't really enjoy NYC. However, the wife had never been and it had been 20+ years since I went as a young teenager. Not only that, the rumors were that the crown of the Statue of Liberty might end up getting closed forever. With that, we decided to plan a short trip.

Despite the higher hotel costs (we stayed in the Upper West Side), I actually enjoyed the trip more than I thought I would. I had to disarm for at least part of the day for trips to the Statue of Liberty, Top of the Rock, and Empire State Building. Thing is, I never really felt unsafe, maybe naked, but not unsafe. There are tons of people out, and so long as you keep your head up and not buried in your phone, the chances of being a victim are slim. In fact, the only place I didn't feel comfortable was at night (and not even that late really) in Central Park. There wasn't many people around, and two of about five people within vision range just didn't look or feel right.

I know some people will refuse to put the gun down, even within their home. However, I wouldn't pass up a trip to NYC in the future. My biggest concern was someone stealing my gun out of our hotel safe (since override combinations are sometimes the same for every room). We didn't venture outside of Manhattan this trip, but I wouldn't mind going back in a few years to check out WTC Memorial, Coney Island, Bronx Zoo, and a few other places.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Being a fan of rural outdoor type places and not so much crowds, I thought I wouldn't really enjoy NYC. However, the wife had never been and it had been 20+ years since I went as a young teenager. Not only that, the rumors were that the crown of the Statue of Liberty might end up getting closed forever. With that, we decided to plan a short trip.

Despite the higher hotel costs (we stayed in the Upper West Side), I actually enjoyed the trip more than I thought I would. I had to disarm for at least part of the day for trips to the Statue of Liberty, Top of the Rock, and Empire State Building. Thing is, I never really felt unsafe, maybe naked, but not unsafe. There are tons of people out, and so long as you keep your head up and not buried in your phone, the chances of being a victim are slim. In fact, the only place I didn't feel comfortable was at night (and not even that late really) in Central Park. There wasn't many people around, and two of about five people within vision range just didn't look or feel right.

I know some people will refuse to put the gun down, even within their home. However, I wouldn't pass up a trip to NYC in the future. My biggest concern was someone stealing my gun out of our hotel safe (since override combinations are sometimes the same for every room). We didn't venture outside of Manhattan this trip, but I wouldn't mind going back in a few years to check out WTC Memorial, Coney Island, Bronx Zoo, and a few other places.

Coney Island is cool. While I know that guns are a no no at the Empire State Bldg and the Rock (just went there in June). However, I was armed the last time we went to the Statue of Liberty and we got to bypass the line and free tickets to Liberty Island (not the crown). Federal Park PD are VERY gracious with LEO's. Just show them your ID.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I would love to go back. I was there in '07. Ground zero was still a hole in the ground you could go in to the subway station or atleast parts of it and look out the sides at what was left there. Also went up the Empire State building which was well worth it. Battery Park was neat, they had the globe like statue from the Trade Center plaza there and an eternal flame. Then a trip to Time Square.

I would love to go back as I never felt unsafe there even at night. I would love to see Pier 53 (I think that is where the Titanic was supposed to dock) and see what is left of it also would like to see the USS Enterprise.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Coney Island is cool. While I know that guns are a no no at the Empire State Bldg and the Rock (just went there in June). However, I was armed the last time we went to the Statue of Liberty and we got to bypass the line and free tickets to Liberty Island (not the crown). Federal Park PD are VERY gracious with LEO's. Just show them your ID.

Was that recently? You had told me that before, but then after your info I saw that someone posted on Officer.com forums they had recently changed the policy. They said LEOs now secure their weapons at Battery Park in a locker. I may have even e-mailed them, not sure. Not wanting to deal with it, I just left it at the hotel room.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Was that recently? You had told me that before, but then after your info I saw that someone posted on Officer.com forums they had recently changed the policy. They said LEOs now secure their weapons at Battery Park in a locker. I may have even e-mailed them, not sure. Not wanting to deal with it, I just left it at the hotel room.
    Hmmm, it was a few years ago. Probably won't test that out for some time...been to the statue 3 times already.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Why steer more $$$ into Red Mike's coffers? What happened to the notion of boycotting anti-gun businesses?

If you want to see a Red city, Chicago is much closer. Or just cut to the chase and hop over to Pyongyang.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I was in NYC once. NEVER AGAIN! There is nothing that could make me go there again. I would like to see the Statue of Liberty, the Empire State Building, the Intrepid Museum, and maybe some other things. But I will not set foot in that city. I have been in the worst sections of Kingston, Jamaica—where congregations duck under the church pews when gunfire breaks out on Sunday mornings and women are regularly doused in the face with acid. I have been in Calcutta, where poverty knows no limits and destitution is unimaginably worse than anything a poor American can even conceive. I have been in Hong Kong, Shanghai, Beijing, Tokyo, Jakarta, Surabaya, and other cesspools where evil controls the city. I have even been to Chicago and survived! I can deal with those places, but I absolutely refuse to go to NYC.

Top Bottom