• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I might be asking the impossible. I’d like a 12ga that handle heavy turkey loads, easily (and reasonably priced ) conversion for slug barrel, but will also run 2 3/4 buck loads well. And can easily mount a red dot.

fwiw I hate 870s.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Beretta 1301 tactical. Mount an aimpoint and leave it. Just swap out the chokes. You can run an extended xtra full for Turkey and Cyl/IC for deer and duty. You don’t need a rifled slug barrel.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I'm with you on 870s. The Winchester SXP NWTF comes drilled and tapped. Slug barrels should be available also. My first choice would be a used model 1200/1300/1400 slug gun and pick up an extra barrel for turkey hunting/home defense. They can usually be found for reasonable prices.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Mossberg for price as they run about the same as a 870. I think it is the Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag Pump Action that takes 3 1/2" heavy turkey loads. Change the barrel and you can shoot slugs and buckshot.

Pushing the price up go with the Beretta.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I'm with you on 870s. The Winchester SXP NWTF comes drilled and tapped. Slug barrels should be available also. My first choice would be a used model 1200/1300/1400 slug gun and pick up an extra barrel for turkey hunting/home defense. They can usually be found for reasonable prices.
    C26249A1-6D4C-492B-9B70-D28E3F3F9C81.jpeg
    There are cleaner ways to mount optics then a pre-drilled and tapped mount. SXP is a fine choice, I like those for the price/good value. But made in Turkey for those that care.

My teenage son runs a Mossberg 590 with a Burris FastFire. It’s a nice setup

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    View attachment 156438
    There are cleaner ways to mount optics then a pre-drilled and tapped mount. SXP is a fine choice, I like those for the price/good value. But made in Turkey for those that care.

My teenage son runs a Mossberg 590 with a Burris FastFire. It’s a nice setup
    Yes, there certainly are cleaner ways to mount optics but most of them aren't very versatile and limit the options on optics. If he is going with a red dot for all platforms or if he wants to get a cantilevered slug barrel then that's no problem. Personally, I'd want at least the option of some magnification for hunting deer.

I'd take a Mossberg all week long and twice on Sunday before an 870 but having grown up owning and shooting Winchester pumps its hard to get past the rough, gritty (in comparison) actions of new Mossbergs. Of course, the newer Winchesters are not the same quality as what I grew up shooting either. I'm not sure if that is a product of being built in Turkey or being built to a certain price point. That's why my first choice would be a used XX00.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Cantilever barrels IMHO mandate a high comb stock. Even then the comb may not be tall enough.
    Consequently, my last two 870 deer guns had the receivers drilled and tapped.

I'd try an 870 w a 20" rifle sighted Remchoke bbl, Superfull for turkeys and a rifled choke tube for slugs. D&T and run a reflex. Swap to whatever reg Remchoke for buckshot. One barrel possibly do it all.

My 870 is a 23" Turkey model Supermag. Vent rib. Its a jack of all trades,....rabbits, turkeys, and even limited on doves w the stupid thing. Shot well w fosters and reddot on clamshell mount too.

Been trying to find another one to D&T the receiver. Leave one just vent rib, the other w optic.

Yup, I hate changing barrels. Almost as much as I hate Mossberg 500 and 835s ;)

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Beretta 1301 tactical. Mount an aimpoint and leave it. Just swap out the chokes. You can run an extended xtra full for Turkey and Cyl/IC for deer and duty. You don’t need a rifled slug barrel.
    This is pretty close to the page I’m in now. It’s likely it would be HD a lot more than woods or field duty, so if it can hold 5”-6” at 100y without a rifled barrel, it would totally work.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    This is pretty close to the page I’m in now. It’s likely it would be HD a lot more than woods or field duty, so if it can hold 5”-6” at 100y without a rifled barrel, it would totally work.
    All of my 18” smooth bore shotguns will ring a 2/3 IPSC steel at 100 yards with the right slugs. Zero your dot about 2” high at 50 yards.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Way back in the smoothbore slug days, I had excellent results w Mossberg 500s.
    The rattle is annoying as heck, the wrist of the stock is thick. Using one like a rifle.........the smoothbore Mossbergs for my gang, usually outshot any Remington smoothbores.

Foster slugs, and a top safety (usable by right or left handers).....Mossberg stuff works.

I just don't like the feel of em for general use.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    If you can find an old S&W 3000, it will fill you bill and be cheap. These are very looked over because they never went 'big' but it was because they weren't enough of an improvement over what PD had to warrant the expenditure.

Tough gun, improvement over the 870 and cheap. Need I say more?

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Way back in the smoothbore slug days, I had excellent results w Mossberg 500s.
    The rattle is annoying as heck, the wrist of the stock is thick. Using one like a rifle.........the smoothbore Mossbergs for my gang, usually outshot any Remington smoothbores.

Foster slugs, and a top safety (usable by right or left handers).....Mossberg stuff works.

I just don't like the feel of em for general use.
    I love them unconditrionally. The safety placement up top, the slide release behind the trigger guard. But then again It's all I owned/operated for 30 years. An 870 feels.... like a glock when Im used to a 1911 for me.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Ive shot a variety over the years. 500/835, 58/870/1100, 51 and 37, BPS, Citori/Superposed, Redlabels and others.

870/1100 make me drop birds without thinking.

Mossbergs having alloy receiver are thicker, and I hate a thick wristed shotgun.
    Have had half a dozen and while they work good for deer, I wouldn't run em on anything else.

When Remington came out with rifled bores, that was the end of Mossberg for me.

Top Bottom