• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JDonhardt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Discussing the virtues of not carrying with another member got me wondering what some others thought about the subject.

I believe there is some good that can come from not carrying now and then. I feel that carrying at all times trains the mind to think of the gun as a crutch, thus ones comfort and sense of safety out in the world come to rely on the gun more and more over time. Leaving it at home sometimes reduces, if not completely negates the possibility of this mindset.

What say you INGO, is there any value in NOT carrying, even when you can?

tskin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2008
    West Central Indiana
    Discussing the virtues of not carrying with another member got me wondering what some others thought about the subject.

I believe there is some good that can come from not carrying now and then. I feel that carrying at all times trains the mind to think of the gun as a crutch, thus ones comfort and sense of safety out in the world come to rely on the gun more and more over time. Leaving it at home sometimes reduces, if not completely negates the possibility of this mindset.

I have to respectfully disagree with that entire train of thought. My "sense of safety" heightens immensely when I'm carrying. I pay more attention to what's around me & am more apt to avoid a situation in which I might need my firearm. I never consider my gun a "crutch" that might make me feel more froggy about getting into a situation that I shouldn't be getting myself into.

JDonhardt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    I have to respectfully disagree with that entire train of thought. My "sense of safety" heightens immensely when I'm carrying. I pay more attention to what's around me & am more apt to avoid a situation in which I might need my firearm. I never consider my gun a "crutch" that might make me feel more froggy about getting into a situation that I shouldn't be getting myself into.

What value, if any, do you see in going out unarmed?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I can never imagine a situation where I could safely (in every sense of the word) say that not having my firearm that day would be better than not having it.

I carry everywhere everyday because I don't know where or when the bad guys are going to strike. Carrying doesn't decrease my awareness or make me more lackadaisical about my personal safety. It's another tool to help keep me safe.

I don't carry a hammer and screwdriver in my tool bucket because I think every project needs a hammer or a screwdriver. I keep them in there because I never know when a project that wasn't supposed to need them is going to somehow morph into one that does.

A firearm is no different.

And to be picky, the crutch implies an irrational dependence on something not necessarily related to the issue at hand. I hardly consider my "dependence" on a firearm irrational. Quite the opposite, in fact. Since I can't predict the future and avoid unpleasant interactions with people intent on harming me or my family, I find it extremely rational that I choose to be prepared to handle any encounters, whenever they occur, with the tool that is going to minimize the harm done to my family.

YMMV.

Last edited:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I am of he opinion that I would rather have a crutch in a dangerous situation. I really don't see the problem with relying on my gun, but maybe I'm not understanding your position.

snojet

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2009
    Carmel
    I think this is a good question/statement JDonhardt.

I relate carrying to having insurance. Yes, you can go without insurance (life, auto, ect...) for a long period of time, but when you do need that insurance you are real sorry you didn't have it.

IMHO, at least speaking for myself, I don't think we live in a would that necessitates carrying 100% of the time. If fact, I didn't start carrying until I was into my 40's. Although, I wish I did have a pistol a couple of times. Maybe I'm just lucky. I now carry when I think my direction/place might take me into potential harms way. Maybe 25% of the time, I don't know. This might be naive to most of you but that is how I chose to live. To each there own. And I don't fault/care if anyone carries 100% either; we all make choices and have to live with them.
    Sorry for the soap box session. Hope not to see any flames....

Back to the op question, "What say you INGO, is there any value in NOT carrying, even when you can?"
    I think there is value in not carrying. Thats my answer.

GLV

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Loganport
    Crutch???

It is a crutch--though not as you describe. To me the 'crutch' is carrying a firearm makes me much more responsible. I cannot allow myself to drive in a manner that starts a problem, or escaletes the situation.

I know I cannot involve myself in petty quarrels anywhere. I am going to be held to a higher degree of responsibility in everything I do, just because I choose to carry a gun.

Just the opinion of one old fart:):

JDonhardt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    I can never imagine a situation where I could safely (in every sense of the word) say that not having my firearm that day would be better than not having it.

I carry everywhere everyday because I don't know where or when the bad guys are going to strike. Carrying doesn't decrease my awareness or make me more lackadaisical about my personal safety. It's another tool to help keep me safe.

I don't carry a hammer and screwdriver in my tool bucket because I think every project needs a hammer or a screwdriver. I keep them in there because I never know when a project that wasn't supposed to need them is going to somehow morph into one that does.

A firearm is no different.

And to be picky, the crutch implies an irrational dependence on something not necessarily related to the issue at hand. I hardly consider my "dependence" on a firearm irrational. Quite the opposite, in fact. Since I can't predict the future and avoid unpleasant interactions with people intent on harming me or my family, I find it extremely rational that I choose to be prepared to handle any encounters, whenever they occur, with the tool that is going to minimize the harm done to my family.

YMMV.

The benefits of going armed greatly outweigh any benefit of going out unarmed. :twocents:

I cannot refute, nor do I disagree with either point here. I resign.

Cowboy1629

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    West Central Indiana
    I go unarmed enough the way it is and not by choice. My employer doesn't allow it nor can I "bring my gun to work" in the trunk because they are within the special protected group... And no I wont violate that because I have too many years there to get terminated for trying to uphold my second amendment rights.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Firearms aren't crutches. When I go out, I of course carry my firearm. But I don't depend on it. I depend on my senses, my awareness, smarts and reflexes. My gun is a tool to protect myself. The same as a knife would be. I can kind of see what your talking about. But like others say, its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

If I was a BG, and I wanted to rob a place, someone else, or just do something down right nasty. I would do it in a place where I know that nobody will be carrying. A place where theres no weapons means that I could get what I wanted. I believe this is something the BG would be thinking. So, I make sure I always have my weapon on me. To protect myself, my family, and others around me. Better safe than sorry.

bglaze

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    I go unarmed enough the way it is and not by choice. My employer doesn't allow it nor can I "bring my gun to work" in the trunk because they are within the special protected group... And no I wont violate that because I have too many years there to get terminated for trying to protect my life and the lives of my friends and family.

I fixed your last sentence to reveal what you are really saying.

Carrying to "protect your second amendment rights" is absurd. The second amendment exists to acknowledge our right to defend ourselves.

Your choice is perfectly legitimate. I know many who make the same choice. But we have to call it what it really is.

doug1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Crestview, Florida
    Having been in Alaska for nearly 2 years now I can't imagine not carrying. There is no requirement to have a CC permit so everyone carries. Not to mention the crime rate here and the amount of wildlife you can and will encounter even in town, being without my firearm would be scary. It will be hard to adjust when I get back to a more restrictive State like IN.

bglaze

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    Having been in Alaska for nearly 2 years now I can't imagine not carrying. There is no requirement to have a CC permit so everyone carries. Not to mention the crime rate here and the amount of wildlife you can and will encounter even in town, being without my firearm would be scary. It will be hard to adjust when I get back to a more restrictive State like IN.

Just out of curiosity, how would you feel more restricted here in Indiana than in Alaska? Other than the fact that you have to get a license.

You can carry open or concealed and pretty much everywhere (very few restricted areas).

I would love to visit and possibly move to Alaska some day, btw.

doug1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Crestview, Florida
    Just out of curiosity, how would you feel more restricted here in Indiana than in Alaska? Other than the fact that you have to get a license.

You can carry open or concealed and pretty much everywhere (very few restricted areas).

I would love to visit and possibly move to Alaska some day, btw.

Don't get me wrong I don't think IN is that restrictive but here it is never an issue...ever. You don't have to think twice about it here. You don't get odd looks when people happen to see you carrying etc. It's not a huge change but a change none the less.
    Anything you want to know about Alaska just let me know. It is one of a kind here that's for sure. :)

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    This thread is fail, if you want to not carry just tell yourself you aren't carrying, that way when things go bad you can snap back into reality and save your a$$...

Come on man

JDonhardt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    This thread is fail, if you want to not carry just tell yourself you aren't carrying, that way when things go bad you can snap back into reality and save your a$$...

Come on man

Ah yes, imagination land. Great answer.

Top Bottom