• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I see no value in being less prepared to handle an emergent problem.

I also see no value in purposely not wearing my seatbelt or choosing to not have a fire extinguisher.

JDonhardt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    I see no value in being less prepared to handle an emergent problem.

I also see no value in purposely not wearing my seatbelt or choosing to not have a fire extinguisher.

The seatbelt line is a damn good analogy. Do you take any steps to fight fires in your home should said extinguisher become empty?

Last edited:

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    It wouldn't become empty if it weren't used! I do see what you are trying to do here, and I understand. However, leaving home naked does not seem like a reasonable training exercise to me. What if the one time in my life I need my firearm, I leave it at home for mental training purposes?

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Here is how I read what JDonhardt is saying: the possibility exists that people may come to rely so much on their gun to save them from evil that they become complacent or they may go into situations that they shouldn't simply because they have a firearm. My response to that (the way I read it anyway) is that we have to hold ourselves to a higher standard of maturity and responsibility. I don't think there are any virtues to not carrying, I think there are virtues to carrying a firearm in the right frame of mind. If the time comes when you're becoming complacent about carrying and let your situational awareness devolve to the point where you let danger approach because you think your firearm will save you, that's the time you need to give yourself a swift kick in the butt and do some reflecting. You carry the firearm because you recognize the danger in the world and to let that realization fade because you have a "magic wand" is a danger in itself. I carry because criminals don't have business hours and something could happen at any time. The day I have to leave the gun at home to force myself to remember that is the day I need to sit down and reevaluate things.

JDonhardt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    It wouldn't become empty if it weren't used! I do see what you are trying to do here, and I understand. However, leaving home naked does not seem like a reasonable training exercise to me. What if the one time in my life I need my firearm, I leave it at home for mental training purposes?

Well that, of course, is the problem.

One needs a solution to this problem other than the firearm. One needs solutions in addition to the firearm (to weapons in general).

PS.
    By "one" I mean me. Clearly, very few will even consider leaving home without a weapon.

Last edited:

JDonhardt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010

Also, any gun carrier only carries a finite amount of ammo on their person. From a practical standpoint, one may need to learn to deal with running completely out of ammo.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Well that, of course, is the problem.

One needs a solution to this problem other than the firearm. One needs solutions in addition to the firearm (to weapons in general).

PS.
    By "one" I mean me. Clearly, very few will even consider leaving home without a weapon.

I think I understand your question a little better now. You're exploring solutions to a problem that don't involve access to a weapon, correct? That's a good question, and everyone needs to have a backup plan, but it's a potentially dangerous way of figuring it out. It's like skydiving without a main parachute just to force yourself to figure out ways of not splatting onto the ground. It's great if it works, but you're dead if it doesn't. I think one would be better served to perform "what if" scenarios rather than going around unarmed.

JDonhardt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    I think I understand your question a little better now. You're exploring solutions to a problem that don't involve access to a weapon, correct? That's a good question, and everyone needs to have a backup plan, but it's a potentially dangerous way of figuring it out. It's like skydiving without a main parachute just to force yourself to figure out ways of not splatting onto the ground. It's great if it works, but you're dead if it doesn't. I think one would be better served to perform "what if" scenarios rather than going around unarmed.

:yesway:

There are places we cant carry. What if something goes down at an elementry school we happen to be inside of? What if we run out of ammo? What if you're cought in the shower buck freakin naked without even your jeans to rely on? What if any number of things happen that cause one of us to be unarmed?

Well what if? How will the mind deal with that fact if it is never unarmed? Those "what if" thought experiments are a great tool - although, very limitted. Imagine only ever training with your gun through thought experiments. Clearly, it would not suffice. I believe the same goes for being unarmed.

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I think that there are plenty of circumstances in which it behooves us to NOT carry.

-if you want to go out with your buddies and tie one on? Don't carry.
    -if you're going to be in and around schools all day? Don't carry.
    -if your daily business involves multiple governmental buildings (of all levels)? Don't carry.
    -if you absolutely must not be "discovered" but are going to engage in activities which would make it impossible to stay concealed? Don't carry.
    -Condition of your employment that says you can't carry a firearm? If you want to retain your job...don't carry.

Carrying for one's own self defense is all a game of odds. There are what...9000 members on INGO? And how many of us have needed a weapon for self defense? Maybe a hundred?

Boils down to: There are times when you've got to play the odds that are in your favor and shouldn't feel bad making the decision to do so.

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    I have had a LTCH on and off for about 15 yrs, mainly excersing my rights and choice to carry when I wanted, the times when I let my carry lapse I did'nt feel any less able to protect myself and loved ones. Mindset is the key! Be aware of your surroundings. I think not carring has a purpose, and most of us have times when we cannot carry and even then we are not sheep. That being said I carry everywhere I can! And sometimes when I should not.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker

You are of course absolutely correct in this statement. My perspective is this: Any responsible gun owner considers solving a problem with a firearm as a last resort from the outset. The firearm is the solution in addition to personal awareness, not the other way around.

PS.

I like many others go unarmed every work day for employment reasons. I knew the conditions when I took the job so I have no right to complain. Personal awareness is my primary means of protection in any situation.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    When I am in my hometown or at work I hardly ever carry my handgun. Just don't feel that I need it and the crime rate here supports that feeling. When I travel out of town (maybe once a week) I carry probably 50% of the time but I am trying to increase that percentage as I get more comfortable with carrying my handgun.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Thanks !

:)
    :yesway:

There are places we cant carry. What if something goes down at an elementry school we happen to be inside of? What if we run out of ammo? What if you're cought in the shower buck freakin naked without even your jeans to rely on? What if any number of things happen that cause one of us to be unarmed?

Well what if? How will the mind deal with that fact if it is never unarmed? Those "what if" thought experiments are a great tool - although, very limitted. Imagine only ever training with your gun through thought experiments. Clearly, it would not suffice. I believe the same goes for being unarmed.

Thanks for starting this thread. It has made me stop and think and this is always a good thing! :yesway:

Top Bottom