• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    OK so who makes these 1911s? My internet search turned up Dan Wesson, CZ, Ruger, RIA. Surprised at the limited manufacturers.

Springfield Armory has no firing pin blocks in any of their 1911-style guns. STI, S-V, all of the boutiques like Wilson, Ed Brown, Les Baer, etc.

I think the Kimber Desert Warrior doesn't have one either (most of their 1911s use the Schwartz-style firing pin block, not the Colt Series 80).

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Smith and Wesson E series and Performance Center guns do not have firing pin safeties. But they do have external extractors so some people faint at the sight of them. The other SW1911s have a Schwartz style firing pin safety disabled by the grip safety.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Smith and Wesson E series and Performance Center guns do not have firing pin safeties. But they do have external extractors so some people faint at the sight of them. The other SW1911s have a Schwartz style firing pin safety disabled by the grip safety.

:faint:

The Ninja

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Can confirm no firing pin block on the Springfields. From what I understand they manage to achieve drop safe by using a combination of a lightweight firing pin and a stiffer firing pin spring.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Interweb says only Colts are only true series 70 1911. true?

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=15201

Quick internet search. All non Colts are clones accoding to some. Keep in mind Colt patented the Commander as well so there would be no non Colt commanders. But the rest of the gun community refer to 4.25" guns in that manner. I suppose only Smith and Wesson has J/K frames as well.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=15201

Quick internet search. All non Colts are clones accoding to some. Keep in mind Colt patented the Commander as well so there would be no non Colt commanders. But the rest of the gun community refer to 4.25" guns in that manner. I suppose only Smith and Wesson has J/K frames as well.

Huh......interesting read.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Some of you aren't old enough to remember but there was the same sentiment about PCs at one time. You had IBM and IBM clones... not counting Apple of course.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    So this is the reason I asked this question. I have a PT-1911 Taurus (yeah, yeah I know), I'm getting light prime strikes, so I thought about replacing the main spring, seem the gun comes with a 17lbs spring when 23 lbs is "norm". Upon some research found some information that the Series 80 pistol have other safety features that may interfere with a clean hammer drop, so the short of it is I'm looking for a "Series 70" 1911.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    MOst all of my 1911s are series 70s. The only exception might be the little Kimber I have, it has that Swartz safety, not sure what it is considered to be.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So this is the reason I asked this question. I have a PT-1911 Taurus (yeah, yeah I know), I'm getting light prime strikes, so I thought about replacing the main spring, seem the gun comes with a 17lbs spring when 23 lbs is "norm". Upon some research found some information that the Series 80 pistol have other safety features that may interfere with a clean hammer drop, so the short of it is I'm looking for a "Series 70" 1911.

It's very possible that the firing pin block in your Taurus is impeding the motion of the firing pin when it should not.

Do you have the Series 80-style or the Schwartz-style? The former is controlled by rearward motion of the trigger (Colt, Para-Ordnance). The latter is deactivated by the grip safety (like Kimbers).

The only problem I've ever had with Series 80 was when the firing pin got peened/deformed and then was catching in the hole in the breechface. The Schwartz style is a little trickier. If it's not tuned properly to move the plunger far enough out of the way in time for the firing pin to pass unimpeded, you will get light primer strikes or not primer strike at all.

Sometimes changing the mainspring housing can cause the Schwartz-style to malfunction if the grip safety can't move far enough forward.

Top Bottom