Noob reloading plated 9mm has questions!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I think if you read the instructions on reloading, before the sections showing data, you'll find the information you're missing.

For all intents and purposes, there is no difference between 124 and 125 grains; the data is interchangeable. ALWAYS start with the minimum charge and work your way up until function is good in your firearm. In your situation, consider middling jacketed charges as maximum...which should result in good function.

The SAAMI maximum length for the 9x19 Parabellum is 1.169". Bullets that are light or mid-weight for caliber may have a shorter OAL. Your barrel is the best tool to determine what length to use with a given bullet/profile. "Too far" is anything shorter than the listed OAL in the book. Seating too deeply in small, high-pressure rounds like the 9mm can create danger spikes in pressure.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Also, more reloading books are better. I have an older Lyman book, newer Lyman book, Speer & Hornady for loads, plus I check with the powder mfg for loading suggestions (in the case of Unique, you won't get a lot of useful info from Alliant).

I will say this about seating depth, you probably aren't going to have a perfect match with the bullet you are loading and the reloading manual. As you mention, a round nose bullet will be longer than the same weight flat nose bullet in general, however, the reason for loading the flat nose shorter isn't because it is shorter, but because the nose is wider. The curve of the magazine and the "leade" in front of the chamber determine how wide a bullet can be given a certain length. I find this fella explains this pretty well, though it is in reference to the 38 Super cartridge, so don't confuse the measurements presented there with the 9mm.

SicSTi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Also, more reloading books are better. I have an older Lyman book, newer Lyman book, Speer & Hornady for loads, plus I check with the powder mfg for loading suggestions (in the case of Unique, you won't get a lot of useful info from Alliant).

I will say this about seating depth, you probably aren't going to have a perfect match with the bullet you are loading and the reloading manual. As you mention, a round nose bullet will be longer than the same weight flat nose bullet in general, however, the reason for loading the flat nose shorter isn't because it is shorter, but because the nose is wider. The curve of the magazine and the "leade" in front of the chamber determine how wide a bullet can be given a certain length. I find this fella explains this pretty well, though it is in reference to the 38 Super cartridge, so don't confuse the measurements presented there with the 9mm.

Ya, I have a Hornady Book on its way as well but wont be here til next week.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    1.169" is max oal SAMMI spec for operation in standard firearms. You will never find any factory ammo loaded at that length.

I have never had a problem just starting in the middle of the powder charge span. If I have sierra hollow point bullets and I find data for speer hollow point bullets of the same weight, a middle of the span charge will not get you in trouble. 124 and 125 grains are really the same. Manufacturing tolerances will vary that much.

OAL, from a pressure potential basis is about how much bullet is filling the case, the shape and size of the nose does not factor in for that part of the reloading equation.

Here is a quick and dirty that works even if you do not have ANY oal data. Size an extra case, do not bell it at all. Set the mouth of that open case on a factory round. there will still be a ring of bullet left showing. Measure from the bottom of the brass that has the bullet to the bottom of the brass that is sitting on the bullet and write that down. When you get the same measurement with your reloads as the original you are golden. Since you are actually comparing the a place close the the major diameter rather than the tip, it works with any point out there.

I run my Xtreme 124 round nose 1.140" to 1.150". Never tried their 147.

Good Luck

8th SPS USAF

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hobart , In
    Go to Hodgdon's web site They have several 9mm loads With 124/5 I use 4.0 TG. I use Extreme bullets also. Better than lead and almost as cheap, great shipping prices.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    I have never had a problem just starting in the middle of the powder charge span. If I have sierra hollow point bullets and I find data for speer hollow point bullets of the same weight, a middle of the span charge will not get you in trouble. 124 and 125 grains are really the same. Manufacturing tolerances will vary that much.

So long as the reloading manual isn't in error, this is correct. Reloading manuals can have errors. This is why you check multiple sources if at all possible.

Top Bottom