• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WLW

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    A buddy of mine contacted me tonight and said he wanted to know if I was interested in a unfired Norinco SKS. I had a Romanian one once... but I don't know a thing about Norinco's and if they are any good or not, or what one might be worth.

I'm sure there are some serious SKS collectors here on the forum and I would value your opinion on the quality and what one might be worth.

Thanks!!

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I've had a few. Good guns and pretty dependable. I still have a matched set of standard and paratrooper models. The prices fluctuate so much I can't keep up. If it's like new and all matching it'd be worth investigating.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I have a Norinco that was in cosmo and unfired.
    Blue is perfect and it's a numbers matcher.

Cleaned all the goo out,
    make sure you do that if you get it and intend to use it.

Value? Depends on the condition.
    Nowadays a good example is going for $250+

Does he have a price in mind?

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    My Norinco can flip cans all day at 100 yards with cheap russian surplus ammo, using the iron sights.

As a fun plinking gun, I love it. As a battle rifle, eh..no thanks!

As an investment? I can't remember when the prices on ANYTHING firearms related was going down. If you can get it between 250 and 350, it's a good deal.
    Just my :twocents:

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    I like my yugo more than my norinco. But the norinco have chrome lined barrels which are a plus. 300 is a solid price for a norinco. If it has a french tickler pick it up!!!

SKSnut

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    i like yugo's, but norincos are fine firearms too. All SKS's are good IMHO, but my name indicates my prejudice :)

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    The norinco I own was given to me as a 18th B-day present. I've shot the pee out of it in the 12 yrs I've owned it. Can't say that I can compare it to the Yugo's or the Russian's, etc. since I havn't owned or shot any others. I can say that this has been a perfectly fun gun to have and shoot. It's not the nicest in my safe, nor is it the best shooter, but it is one of my favorites. They're relatively cheap, rather cheap to feed compared to many others, and relatively accurate.

If you want a broader opinion more specific to the sks check out this forum as well
    Survivor's SKS Boards - Index

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    You can get a Norinco all day long for $250 right now. I've seen them for $200 on HoosierTopics, too, within the last month. They're as reliable as any SKS.

IndyClay

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Norinco makes solid firearms but good luck trying to re-sell them here. Such a stigma is attached to guns made in China. Everything else in our homes comes from China (clothes on your back to the tv on the wall) but we still don't trust a firearm that comes from there. That said, is my Norinco 9mm my primary gun? no; (great range/fun gun, not the best in defensive situation). It is my home BUG in case my door alarm, Mossberg 12 ga., Colt 1911, kel-tec p11, and cell phone fail...

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Norinco makes solid firearms but good luck trying to re-sell them here. Such a stigma is attached to guns made in China. Everything else in our homes comes from China (clothes on your back to the tv on the wall) but we still don't trust a firearm that comes from there. That said, is my Norinco 9mm my primary gun? no; (great range/fun gun, not the best in defensive situation). It is my home BUG in case my door alarm, Mossberg 12 ga., Colt 1911, kel-tec p11, and cell phone fail...

I'd trust my life with a Norinco SKS, AK or 1911 any day of the week. I've shot a helluva lot of them and have NEVER had an issue. Even tried to burn an AK up once by running a few thousand rounds through it as fast as we could. After we pulled it from the creek and it was nice and cool it was stripped and looked brand new. Chinese and Russian SKSs and AKs have been used in combat all over the world since the 60s.

IndyClay

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Ok, Colt 556, what about the Norinco 9mm Tokarev knockoff? The Russian made TT-33 in 7.62 (and various soviet bloc military variants through the 60s) is definitely a reliable firearm. But from the late 70s-80s on I wonder if the quality control and original design remained the same, especially in China.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Again, I've shot thousands of rounds out of Chinese SKSs and AKs, as have many of my friends w/o incidence. I cannot say that about my ARs, Garands. M1As, etc, etc, etc. I had a Norinco 1911 that had 5k rounds through it when I got it and I put another 5k through it w/o problem. The PO was asking about an SKS. I'm not saying everything made in China is good but IMHO I would carry an SKS, AK or Norinco 1911 into a fight and not feel slighted. Again JMHO.

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    I will admit........I know little to nothing about the SKS, except I recently was told the $400 was too much to pay for one.............:D

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I hope some of the older guys will back me up but at one time if you bought a 1200 round case of 7.62x39 Chinese ammo from Centerfire Systems for $89 , I think it was, They would GIVE you an SKS! It was just for a short period when the Chinese were flooding the US market with weapons. I recall Norinco SKSs for $79 and AK folders for $279. Those were the days....

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    I've had Russian and Yugos but think the Chinese are the best of the lot. Even with the pinned barrells i have achieved reasonable accuracy and would defend my home with one and not feel the slightest bit worried. The only problems i have ever had is aftermarket mags which are a complete waste of money. Stay stock!!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I won my Norinco SKS at a Friends of the NRA banquet some 8 years ago. It was used, but has all matching numbers, all of the accessories came with it including the spike bayonet. I have no idea what a fair price for one would be, but they are a very fun gun to shoot.

As said before, it's not the most accurate in my collection, but it's right at the top in the fun factor. Cheap to feed, easy to clean, hard to break. What's not to like?

EvilleDoug

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Evansville
    I saw a Chinese SKS several mnths ago for $99, didn't have the money that day, went back 3 days later and it was gone...I cried a little :crying:

Top Bottom